Thread: Proposing to a pool

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Saren's Avatar
    Follow Saren On Twitter
    Follow Saren on Tumblr Visit Saren's Youtube Channel

Proposing to a pool

Spring is coming up fast and with that summer. I'm getting ready for swimming season. So I want to try asking another pool for permission to swim in a tail.

You must know that fins and monofins ARE allowed at the pool but ONLY in the lap lanes. My tail is a fabric tail win an open end like a FinFun tail.

With that being said my first attempt to ask went like this:

Initially the director said it was a matter of safety. But after suggesting to sign a liability waiver, take a swim test, and even demonstrate how I would exit in an emergency, she then stated that "it's not necessary for swimming" so she cannot allow it in the pool. I've asked if there was anything I could do, including liability insurance, to get a chance to at least take swim test.

I'm now looking to another pool. I'm hoping to have better luck with this pool as they offer after hour pool parties. They have the same fins in lap lanes only rule that they've said does apply even during private pool parties.

My plan is to appeal to their money making side, expressing that I could bring in more business to their pool. I plan on offering the same things I offered the first pool director (signing waiver, insurance, swim test, etc).

However I have to overcome the following:
    -fin swimming in lap lane only rule (for doing private parties, my number 2 priority)
    -the same "tail isn't necessary for swimming" I've encountered in the other pool (number 1 priority if this issue comes up again)

I've looked through the threads on tail bans and read Raina's books. It seems most mers problems are with the bans of fins, not tail skins.

Any idea how I can remedy this? Or maybe something I can try that I haven't yet?
    Last edited by Saren; 02-10-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    Mermaid Saren
    ||Tumblr||YouTube||Instagram||Twitter||

user formerly known as Fayrn

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    It sounds like you're doing everything right! hopefully this one works out for you.

When they say that it isn't necessary for swimming, tell them how beneficial it is as a form of exercise and/or training. Some things in a gym or workout center are technically not necessary, but having so many options is great for variety and keeping people motivated to exercise because it is fun and diverse. Using a monofin for swimming makes swimming far more fun while still being a workout.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Follow Saren On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    When they say that it isn't necessary for swimming, tell them how beneficial it is as a form of exercise and/or training. Some things in a gym or workout center are technically not necessary, but having so many options is great for variety and keeping people motivated to exercise because it is fun and diverse. Using a monofin for swimming makes swimming far more fun while still being a workout.
    Monofins are allowed at the pool with no problem, because they do see the benefit of the exercise and its use to improve dolphin kick. It's just the fabric tail itself is not allowed.

I can wear my mahina Merlin and do lap swimming. I am not allowed to wear a fabric tail and do any swimming.
    Mermaid Saren

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I was going to say to swim up to a lifeguard, and ask to marry him...

Must've misread the title. Hahaha!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Oops sorry I guess I didn't process that monofins ARE allowed. Well all I can think of in that case is that your fabric tail is made of the same material as swim suits, so it is just like a different looking swim suit haha. I hope the other pool will be accepting.

Follow Saren On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I was going to say to swim up to a lifeguard, and ask to marry him...

Must've misread the title. Hahaha!
    I'm also already married, hahahaha XD
    Mermaid Saren

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Haha, if they had told me they 'were not necessary' I would have come back with "Neither are bathing suits, but those are still worn and required". I can understand a pool not wanting tails I guess, but that particular reason seems a tad silly to me. Best wishes this next pools allows you to swim in your tail!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Just have to pop in and say everytime I see the name for this thread, I think that someone is down on one knee with a ring professing their love to a swimming pool.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

I have an awesome husband. He lets me do whatever I want, when I want. His name is Ralc. Its short for,

Ryde
    Aquatic
    Leisure
    Centre

Maybe try wearing leggings as your swimsuit bottoms...there are some that are patterned to look like mermaid scales. Do that for several weeks. If you get any questions, you can say "I like to be modest about my legs". You know, I have had several women swim at my pool in long sleeve/ long pants because of religion. I doubt you'll get any complaints.

Anyway, once they are fine with your legs being covered...and they are used to it... still wearing leggings....try pulling your skin over the mono fin. It's not really any different from the leggings. Maybe they won't even notice.

Well some swimmers wear drag shorts... You could say the tail is your drag skirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Orca View Post
    Just have to pop in and say everytime I see the name for this thread, I think that someone is down on one knee with a ring professing their love to a swimming pool.
    Lol. I'm married to my hobby. For better or for worse, I won't stop swimming.
    ~~ Awaken your Inner Mermaid ~~

Visit my art thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-s-Merfolk-Art

Fins may not be necessary for swimming but they're sure as heck helpful. Last time I went "mermaid training" I started managing the full 25m length in one breath all relaxed, and that's a big deal for me.

Just had a ramble in a different thread about my experience with getting permission so I won't rant here, but it's interesting to say the least.

The weirdest thing I've encountered so far regarding pool rules is when one lifeguard started saying "We let [my friend] use that fin because of her disability, but..."

My friend only has one leg. The urge to tell this lifeguard how a monofin is not designed to be just a swimming aid for disabled swimmers but a piece of beneficial equipment for all serious swimmers disabled or not, was super strong. Thank goodness said friend defended me having got the manager's permission. And having any sort of official freediving experience seems to help XD keep telling them I've got an AIDA certificate.