Thread: Mermaid swimming a way of reducing stress?

Mermaid swimming a way of reducing stress?

I know we all like to go Mermaid swimming because its cool and we enjoy it but something I've noticed whenever I go for a swim is that I feel a lot calmer, stress free and kind of more awake. I don't notice the same thing after doing regular swimming (I just feel tired!) Does anyone know if this is a thing, or is it just my imagination? What are your experiences?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I think it's the effect from freediving: slowing down heartrate, emptying mind, getting oxygen into your bloodstream and tissue.

I know I get medicinal benefits from relaxed freediving and underwater tailswimming that are not there when just surface swimming.
    It can even help battling illnesses where antibiotics and other conventional stuff fail.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I find that the undulating movement of tail swimming/fin swimming very relaxing, like Tai Chi...it's a moving meditation. Regular swimming has always seemed to be, to me, at least, a kind of flailing, and not very relaxing at all.

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Agreed on all of the above. I can swim regularly, but its always seemed unnatural. Swimming like a mermaid just feels as natural as breathing, and like deep breathing, is very relaxing.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Gotta love that undulation!

To me mermaiding and meditation are strongly linked! The mammalian dive reflex makes your body more efficient at using oxygen so I think it has the power to put one in a trance like state when used with intention. I've been adding some dry freediving breaths to my morning meditation practice and really want to learn more! Meditation is about focusing on your breathing so that you can observe (instead of engage) the mind. When doing long breath holds, you're observing the part of the mind that says "time to breathe!" And just watching the body as you quiet the mind, telling it that, "no it's ok, you're not drowning you actually have plenty of oxygen."

I also think there's some subtle side effect from embodying a mythological fantasy being that allows you to be more calm, confident and magical throughout the day!
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Oh yeah. It is meditative because it is not just about the workout. You are doing something because you want to and not because you have to. It forces us into the moment. When I'm in the water, I only think about what is happening right then and a few minutes in the future (nothing before or after). Perhaps for nothing other then I can be someone that I am not always able to be. Release the Merman I am inside so to speak. It's easy to get into that state when you are in your monofin or tail. It is something I also get when I fence (unleash the swordsman within). Any body else feel like that?

I must add that my first ever "high" was actually getting nitrogen narced while scuba diving in Cozumel. We were diving a reef wall that went down for ages. It was so beautiful but disorienting as you had no sense of depth, all you could tell was the sun was one way and the darkness another. The dive master didn't realize that we were caught in a down draft until we were 115 ft deep! I started feeling funny and got nervous, but my friend swam up to me an mimed downing a shot and pointed to himself. As soon as I realized I wasn't the only one feeling it, I immediately relaxed and began to be hypnotized by my bubbles, breathing and the complete weightlessness of my body. It was so surreal! I've never felt so completely relaxed. We began a very slow ascent and thankfully everyone was safe in the end!
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

I always have the exact same feeling. For a few hours I get to be a mermaid, not the human with family drama, school stress, etc. In the winter I'm always so frustrated I can't have that "freedom."

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HamptonsMermaid View Post
    I must add that my first ever "high" was actually getting nitrogen narced while scuba diving in Cozumel.
    Nitrogen Narcosis by The Barefoot Man
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kait's Avatar
    I can have the worst day but as soon as I hit the water I feel instantly better, by the time I get out I feel renewed. Definitely agree that its a form of meditation, the silence and serenity under the water is the perfect escape.
    Mermaid Kait

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kait View Post
    I can have the worst day but as soon as I hit the water I feel instantly better, by the time I get out I feel renewed. Definitely agree that its a form of meditation, the silence and serenity under the water is the perfect escape.
    Yep! Agree with that.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I especially like it when I am swimming in an indoor pool, doing dolphin kicking on my back with my arms in the streamline position. When I look up at the pools lights, I see rainbows because of the water in my eyes. It is an incredible experience.

I think the combination of being weightless underwater and being able to glide along smoothly and effortlessly with a monofin makes you feel peaceful as well as at one with the underwater world. When mermaiding you move very fluidly, and you are in water so that combination just goes very well together and creates a wonderful feeling. That and you do get that magical/mythical feeling!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Keena's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Keena on Facebook
    I feel that way when mermaiding, regular swimming and even just walking at the edge of the water. So long as water is near I feel calm.

Sent from my 5017A using Tapatalk
    Okay, get a grip, get the hang of this flipper,
    It's like slipping two feet into one big huge slipper.
    I can't believe I can do this and more,
    To swim in the sea like I walk on the shore.
    Out of my shell not closed up like a clam,
    Look out sea, this is me, here I am....

"Little Mermaid 2 Return to the Sea"

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Having been an obese, clumsy child, I always felt graceful and fluid in water. I felt like a seal on land—blubbery and awkward, but as soon as I was in the water it all changed. Now that I'm much slimmer, I still find the same grace and relief when I'm in the water.

This topic cheered me up. I don't think mermaids can be stressed, I think it's only inherent in humans. Anyway, if I ever met a mermaid who would tell me about her stress, I would recommend her to try magic mushrooms www.shrooms-online.net. Well, personally I find it works well for me to combat stress.
    Last edited by fred_lee; 12-23-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Oh, I understand, I used to suffer a lot from stress. But maybe I can help you. I have been growing cannabis for some time now. If you are new to the business, I suggest you try white widow strain. To get a better idea of where you can buy seeds for this strain, you can do that Here. Learn more about it and maybe it will help you in your endeavors. Have a great day!