Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Least Used Tail Color(s)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel

Least Used Tail Color(s)

What the least chosen choice of tail color(s).

Like you only ever seen one or two, and then no more after that.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 02-18-2016 at 12:17 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I think I've seen a tail in pretty much every colour.

Maybe dont see brown very much but I do see brown blended in.

Me too! Which is what got me thinking, "Is there a color people never ever want?"

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    White? Taxi cab yellow? Safety vest orange?
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I think red and maybe pink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    My Scraps Tail has safety vest orange!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    My tail is "taxi cab yellow" and "safety vest orange".

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Plaid? Camouflage?

I don't really see a point in disparaging other people's tail color choices. Some colors may be less common than others, but why label them "less popular"? Why give certain colors unflattering judgmental names? Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone's is different but it's best not to shove them in other people's faces.

I think I have only seen one neon green tail.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    I don't really see a point in disparaging other people's tail color choices. Some colors may be less common than others, but why label them "less popular"? Why give certain colors unflattering judgmental names? Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone's is different but it's best not to shove them in other people's faces.
    less popular just means there arent many of them. I was looking for less popular colors a while ago because i wanted to be different, but ultimately went for classic blue. i dont think this is meant to be pejorative.

I don't think it was MEANT to be pejorative but that's how it came across, and I know I wasn't the only one who felt that way, guys.

On a personal level, I am not one for colors that are in the warm spectrum (reds, oranges, yellows), especially if they are on me. That being said, there are -ALWAYS- exceptions to that, it just depends on how well the tail was made or how well the paint job was. I also do not mind warm colors if they are used as accents on tails (spoiler, my merbella tail may contain trace amounts of yellow as I gave Raven a visual chart of colors I was okay with and only had about 80% of the tail finalized and I told her that yellow in small amounts would be ok, so my tail is as much a surprise to me as it will be anyone else!).

I have seen some BEAUTIFUL tails in all the colors I do not prefer and I have been in awe of them.

I do think that tails that are brown, however, tend to be less favorable by me as a whole. I've seen some that are done with copper on it as well and it looks lovely, but not my cup of tea.

White tails, to me, can be wonderful if done right, but they are often cloth or are too see through... I suppose my biggest thing I hate in tails, especially cloth ones, is when you can see swim-suits through them. (hence why I sometimes wear leggings under my cloth tails, especially when they get older. )

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Sorry! Maybe I should've titled it, least used colors.

How do you decide the colors of your dream tail without some person going, "It looks like so and so's tail!"???
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 02-17-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Good question. I think that while it is good to look at other people's tails for inspiration, you shouldn't look at other tails too much because then you might accidentally use someones exact color scheme or design because it got stuck in your head. Also, you just have to keep on designing until you feel like you have gotten to a really good place that is all unique to you. For example, I have at least 20 different tail design concepts I have gone through and my taste and color palette has already changed a ton since starting my concepts. What has really helped me is making a mood board to get a good visual representation of colors and designs I want on a tail.

The other day I took a photo of a Merbella tail and changed the colors a lot in photoshop to see what kind of interesting results would come of it. What happened is I got some very unique color combos that I would have never thought of, and combos I have never seen before. So playing around with layer styles and color mixing in photoshop is also very helpful to get inspired.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    I don't think it was MEANT to be pejorative but that's how it came across, and I know I wasn't the only one who felt that way, guys.
    You definitely aren't alone in this, ha. My tail colors have now been derided twice in this thread, lol. Ah well! Ain't no one hiding this light under bushel. I'll be the resident water traffic controller :-D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Elodea the Mermaid; 02-17-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea the Mermaid View Post
    You definitely aren't alone in this, ha. My tail colors have now been derided twice in this thread, lol. Ah well! Ain't no one hiding this light under bushel. I'll be the resident water traffic controller in a seeeeeea of blue :-D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    See, your tail in your avatar is a perfect example of my point. Your tail looks ROCKIN on you, on me though? It's not my thing.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Correct me if I'm missing something... but when has 'less popular' ever immediately meant ugly or due for disregard? Tail colors that aren't common are not as popular as colors that are used often. It's synonymous, and having a tail in a less popular color does not mean that anyone is disregarding your colors. They just aren't common. I'd take it as a compliment, I for one love unique tails.

Anyways, to answer the question I don't see greyscale tails very often. I've seen a couple of shark tails that look fantastic, and Mal's tail is silver.
    Earthy tones are common in nature but not in tails. Browns, earthy greens, tans, etc.

I'd love to see more neon/phosphorescent/glow in the dark tails!
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    Correct me if I'm missing something... but when has 'less popular' ever immediately meant ugly or due for disregard? Tail colors that aren't common are not as popular as colors that are used often. It's synonymous, and having a tail in a less popular color does not mean that anyone is disregarding your colors. They just aren't common. I'd take it as a compliment, I for one love unique tails.

Anyways, to answer the question I don't see greyscale tails very often. I've seen a couple of shark tails that look fantastic, and Mal's tail is silver.
    Earthy tones are common in nature but not in tails. Browns, earthy greens, tans, etc.

I'd love to see more neon/phosphorescent/glow in the dark tails!
    I never said they were ugly choices of colors. I meant least popular as in a color that's not thought of often. There is nothing wrong with "safety vest orange" or "taxi cab yellow". I have both those colors on my Scraps Mermaid Tail too! I really don't mind it at all, I call it my, Hi Vis Tail. The tail body part is a very bright inyourface neon pink! When I was sewing on the fluke, I had to close the blinds because the glare was hurting my eyes! It was like staring into the sun!
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 02-18-2016 at 12:24 AM.