Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Least Used Tail Color(s)

Oh, I know you didn't mean any harm. I was defending this thread. It just seemed like a couple of people may have gotten the wrong idea about it, is all Anyways, I won't get into it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    Oh, I know you didn't mean any harm. I was defending this thread. It just seemed like a couple of people may have gotten the wrong idea about it, is all Anyways, I won't get into it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    Thank you for that! I honestly don't know how people are getting the wrong idea about my question. I wasn't trying to be rude or mean. Maybe I should've spent the day thinking on how to word it properly before posting it, but that was all I could think of.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Exactly, Kalani. I tried to make that point in my post, but I am not sure it came across. *rubs the back of her neck.*

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

It's alright, I just didn't want any drama to start just because of a silly miscommunication
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

"MY TAIL IS SO PRETTY!"

"NOT UH! SEA PIG!"

/gets the popcorn and shares it.

hehe

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

I don't think I've ever seen a tail I didn't like. For sure some not my style, we all have our own preferences. But I just adore everyone's tail; they're out there swimming in mermaid tails, fuck yes, how rad is that?!!

Some mentioned above I love.
    I don't recall her name but there's a mer here with a red tail and red hair and she's pictured swimming in her auto signature; I think it looks effing bad donkey!
    And I looooooove white tails! I was seriously considering iridescent white for my tail but I knew it would get grungy fast.

Jaffa, did you start this thread because you were looking to come up with a more unusual or unique idea for a tail for yourself?
    I fancy myself as pretty artsy fartsy, but I didn't design my tail. I left it to an artist I knew could come up with something better than I could. Yes yes, I gave her all my favorite colors and a bit on what kind of mermaid I am, and she did the rest! And yes, yes, my color scheme is quite cliche, (Blue, Aqua, Coral) but they ARE my favorite colors.
    My closet is filled with clothes those colors, my bedroom, my house, even my office! I feel GOOD when they are on me or around me so cliche be damned, that's what I want!
    Jaffa, get what YOU want.
    Eff everyone else.

...I don't think I got the wrong idea. I was simply pointing out the negative-sounding tone of some of the original post and some of the comments. Word choice matters, people. Please don't try to tell me that "less common" and "less popular" are equivalent terms, because they certainly aren't. "Less popular" has a more negative connotation; i.e. it sounds mildly derogatory. I'm not claiming that this was the INTENT of the original post, I am pointing out that this is how language works. Furthermore, several other comments were made describing certain colors with adjectives that made them sound less than complimentary, which in turn offended someone whose exact tail colors had just been described with negative-sounding language. Do you see what I'm getting at? Please consider your word choices a little more carefully, because while certain terms may seem completely innocuous to you, they may sound very negative to others. Especially in this context; for most of us here, our tails are so enormously representative of our inner selves that seeing their colors being joked about or described negatively can feel like a real slap in the face.

As for the ACTUAL intent of the original post in this thread...Jaffa, I know you didn't mean any harm. I THINK you only meant to start a discussion of some unusual colors that aren't chosen for tails very often and what colors would be interesting to see on tails more often. However, it did honestly sound like more of a "hey, what are some tail colors that are so icky and unpopular almost no one wants them?!" I feel it's important to point out this distinction not to make you feel bad, but just to make you a little more aware of it in the future. If anyone else thinks I'm being too nitpicky, maybe consider the fact that if you weren't one of the people offended by the "unpopular tail colors" chat, you may need to be a little more sensitive to the feelings of those who WERE, rather than denying anyone else's right to feel offended. Waving off someone's concerns over negative language as a silly miscommunication is dismissive and insulting.

And with regard to the subsequent question of "how do you decide the colors of your dream tail without going 'it looks like so and so's tail'" well....just pick your dream colors and call it good. If it's your dream tail, then it should only be based on what YOU want. Design it yourself, be creative, don't copy anyone, look to nature for inspiration, add some unique personal touches, etc. etc. I feel like this is a separate discussion from "unusual tail colors". Colors come in an infinite spectrum, with an infinite number of different shades and an infinite number of possible combinations. Think of just how many fish species exist and the incredible array of colors and patterns they display. I highly doubt it is possible to run out of options.

Thanks Calizaire!

All the colors I want and love, have been done so many times!

Which is why I thought maybe there is a color nobody likes, that I could have.

My warddrobe is all flowers, or plain shirts with floral embroidery, rose printed skirts etc. I love bright colors of flowers.

Hmm. Does Merrowfins do flower tails? Hahaha!

I think its based on personal preference, While some may not like yellow or orange, I've seen some beautiful colored tails in yellow and orange. I personally don't like super loud colors, but that's me. Im attracted to blues and certain purples hues, probably because I associate them with "calm" colors.

Im not too fond of greens and reds (however one of my mersisters in my pod has a beautiful red/purple tail) I dislike singular gold tails personally, I don't know why, I feel like its too plain for me. but that's me. I love very well blended tails, I am not too fond of really cartoony tails. but Like I said personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Sorry! Maybe I should've titled it, least used colors.
    I changed it for you I can see the points people were making about the language used, but hopefully this thread can move forward onto the original topic now that it's settled!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Thanks Iona!

I will say I don't see as many white tails as a lot of the other colors. I personally can see a good reason why, the tail being washed out in photos in the sunlight (like my skin, which photographers constantly moan about it throwing off their white balance, tee hee). Brown as well, although brown is more commonly used to accent other warmer colors. Neon colors tend to be more popular with kids than with adults.

With silicone tails specifically, pastel tails aren't as common. Mostly because people want their tails to really pop in the water. Also because pastels take a LOT of paint layers to become opaque. I'd seen some tail makers to pastel colors without enough layers and they were a bit transparent. Sometimes all those layers can lessen the details of the molds as well, depending the painting process used (like if the silicone was pigmented underneath the tail, or the use of a proper primer for the job, ect). But those I have seen are quite beautiful

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I was going to say white also. I absolutely love the idea of shimmery, pearlescent white tails but I'd worry a little about how much dirt and grime might show up.
    Other than that - I'm not sure I've seen many black tails which could be really cool!
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodea the Mermaid View Post
    My tail is "taxi cab yellow" and "safety vest orange".
    I was thinking solid, not a pretty blend as you have.
    Last edited by Merman Storm; 02-18-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I will say I don't see as many white tails as a lot of the other colors. I personally can see a good reason why, the tail being washed out in photos in the sunlight (like my skin, which photographers constantly moan about it throwing off their white balance, tee hee).
    There aren't a lot, though Meridan has one. She let me try it on once actually. As Iona predicted, the image is a little saturated with all the whiteness, cause I am super pale.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    I like pale Mers. I wouldn't hesitate to nab you there if I could!

Ive been wondering about white without scales, to give the beluga whale look.

Let the storm rage on!

I don't really see that many neon tails outside of kids.

Usually of adults get neon tails the neon color is used as an accent instead of ti coat the entire tail.

Also black tails aren't that used. The only one I've seen is the lady gaga one.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Let the storm rage on!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Meridian ALSO has a brown/copper tail and it's gorgeous on her hair and skin. When I first saw it not on her I was like "uhhhhhh why?" But now I've seen it in action and it's beautiful. It looks really natural on her. I'm blonde and have warm/ pink undertones in my skin so that color of tail wouldn't work for me, but when it works damn does it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk