Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mer friendly pools in countries with tail bans

Mer friendly pools in countries with tail bans

Hi everyone! So with all the tail bans going on at the moment I thought it would be a good idea to put together a list of all the pools we know about that still allow monofins and Mermaid tails. Ill start, please feel free to comment below if you want to add any to the list or change the status I have listed for any. Just make sure you state the pool name, it's suburb/locality, city/province, country and what date you last verified it's mer friendliness (since things are still changing)

Australia
    Melbourne, VIC
    -Waves Leisure Centre, Highett. Monofins and tails permitted with adult supervision, verified 17th Feb 2016

Sydney, NSW
    Ryde Aquatic Lesuire Centre, Ryde - allows monofins and tails
    Sydney Aquatic Centre, Homebush - allows monofins and tails
    Sutherland Lesuire Centre, Sutherland - allows tails and monofins
    Bondi Iceburgs Club, Bondi - allows tails and monofins
    The Gordon Fetterplace Aquatic Centre, Campbelltown - allows tails and monofins

Newcastle, NSW
    Maitliand, Mayfield and Lambton pools - allows monofins and tails (not verified)

Perth, WA
    Beatty Park Leisure Centre, North Perth - monofins and tails permitted for adults only with an adult supervisor present
    Aquamotion, Wanneroo - allows monofins and tails
    Balga Lesuire Centre, Stirling - Mermaid tails and monofins are allowed but only to be used in conjunction with a facility booking
    Bayswater Waves, Embleton - currently under review
    Terry Tyzack Aquatic Centre Inglewood -
    Mermaid tails and monofins are allowed but only to be used in conjunction with a facility booking
    The new Scarborough Beach Pool -
    Mermaid tails and monofins are allowed but only to be used in conjunction with a facility booking

Adelaide, SA
    ProSwim, Plympton - not yet verified
    Marion Outdoor and Unley Swimming centre now both allow monofins only. Spotter required for Marion, not sure about Unley.

Mackay, QLD
    Pat Wright swim centre, Mackay - allows monofins and tails

Townsville, QLD all pools allow monofins and tails (unverified)
    Canada (list thanks to Mermaid Courtney and Faithonthebass)
    Burnaby, BC
    All pools allow tails and monofins after completion of a swim test

Richmond, BC
    -Watermania, Richmond. Monofins and tails permitted, verified 12th Jan 2016

Vancouver, BC
    -Killarney, Vancouver. Monofins and tails permitted, verified 12th Jan 2016

Langley, BC
    -WGCC, WC Blair, FOP, AOP and I think City of Langley Pools too: Allow tails, Verified Sept 2016

Abbotsford, BC
    -Matsqui Recreation Center and Abbotsford Recreation Center, Allow tails but only in shallow end. Verified November 13 2016

Maple Ridge, BC
    -Maple Ridge Leisure Center: Allow tails, Verified May 2015

Delta, BC
    -The Sun God Rec Center. Allows tails but anyone under 18 has to do a swim test with the tail on. Adults have to be used to tails also.

Kelowna BC
    - H20: allows Tails and monofins

Vernon BC
    - rec center: Allows Tails (if experienced)

Armstrong BC
    Outdoor pool: Allows Tails and Monofins

Enderby BC
    Outdoor pool: Allows Tails and Monofins (no go pros or underwater cameras though)
    Last edited by Merman Andrew; 05-27-2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Updated Canada BC pools
    Member formerly known as leomar

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Sydney Aquatic Centre in Homebush allows both. Haven't been there but I did call to ask when I was moving house.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Salty's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Salty On Twitter Add Mermaid Salty on Facebook
    Bradbury pools in Campbelltown are also fine with Monofins - Haven't asked about tails.
    Awesome to know that the Sydney Aquatic Centre allows both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Salty View Post
    Bradbury pools in Campbelltown are also fine with Monofins - Haven't asked about tails.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll add them to the list.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Salty View Post
    Is it this pool? The Gordon Fetterplace Aquatic Centre, Campbelltown

More British Columbia ones in the Lower Mainland.

Township of Langley (WGCC, WC Blair, FOP, AOP and I think City of Langley Pools too):
    Allow tails (mostly due to my input&#128522
    Verified Sept 2016

City of Surrey pools: (includes outdoor pools)
    Complete ban of tails
    Verified June 2016

Abbotsford Pools:
    (Matsqui Recreation Center and Abbotsford Recreation Center)
    Allow tails but only in shallow end.
    Verified November 13 2016

All Chilliwack Pools:
    Complete ban of tails

Maple Ridge Leisure Center:
    Allow tails
    Verified May 2015

Delta:
    The Sun God Rec Center
    Allows them but anyone under 18 has to do a swim test with the tail on. Adults have to be used to tails also.

Maybe not 100% accurate but it's a start!
    Last edited by Nerdmaid Faith; 11-19-2016 at 12:48 AM.
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    More British Columbia ones in the Lower Mainland.

Township of Langley (WGCC, WC Blair, FOP, AOP and I think City of Langley Pools too):
    Allow tails (mostly due to my input&#128522
    Verified Sept 2016

City of Surrey pools: (includes outdoor pools)
    Complete ban of tails
    Verified June 2016

Abbotsford Pools:
    (Matsqui Recreation Center and Abbotsford Recreation Center)
    Allow tails but only in shallow end.
    Verified November 13 2016

All Chilliwack Pools:
    Complete ban of tails

Maple Ridge Leisure Center:
    Allow tails
    Verified May 2015

Delta:
    The Sun God Rec Center
    Allows them but anyone under 18 has to do a swim test with the tail on. Adults have to be used to tails also.

Maybe not 100% accurate but it's a start!
    Thanks! I'll add these to the list shortly.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Success!

I've been trying to get the Simi Valley park district community pool to allow tail swimming, and I have succeeded! The story:

In January, I took a mer-class at that pool, run by Sheroes. As they rented the pool, tail swimming was acceptable. After the class I used a contact (I hike with a group that is associated with the park district, and the board members know how in the district to talk to about policy) to see if tail swimming was allowed in the pool during normal swim times. The answer was "only during lane swimming, not general swimming." But, I never checked it out to see if that was really true. (I've been assuming that, like any bureaucracy, information moves slowly and poorly in the park district.)

In September, Sheroes had a class for those who already knew how to tail swim. I took it, and while at the pool asked those running the pool area if tail swimming was allowed during lane swimming. "No, you have to rent the pool." Renting the pool is $250/hour, where general pool use is $3.

As I now had two different answers, I used my contacts to get in touch more directly with park district personnel. After going through three people, over a couple of months, I got them to say "yes, you can tail swim."

There are a few rules. It turns out their big concern is someone using a tail hitting another swimmer. This could is even a bigger concern if the tail-user is a child, as in their excitement, they can stop paying attention to who or what is around them. So:

They are willing to allow small, lightweight tails anytime. Think FinFun sized flukes. I also showed them my Toothless tail, and the tail I made from the Lunocet fin. The toothless tail is sized for a Mahina monofin. They thought that one, and the Lunocet, counted as large. I asked if they were OK if the pool was not crowded, and that was acceptable.

On Friday, I decided to see if the word actually got to the lifeguards. It had. The pool was not crowded, so I used the Lunocet without issue. It's a nice pool to swim in; heated all year, 25 by 50 meters, with a 15 foot deep diving well. (My other options are my own pool, which is small, 24hr fitness, which is only 5 feet deep, and the ocean, which is a 40 minute drive.)

Next step: More Mers!
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Regina, Canada is very mermaid-less, but regardless I went ahead and swam at the YMCA there today! No concerns about the tail whatsoever, not sure about the 2 other pools in the city. I'm thinking that the Canadian "TAILS ARE BAD!!111!!1" epidemic has pretty much passed over the unassuming Saskatchewan.
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Marion Outdoor pool is coming around down here in SA
    ~Mermaid Salacia~
    Sea Witch of South Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/themermaidsalacia/
    mermaidsalacia.weebly.com/

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    Many of the council run pools in Newcastle (Australia) still allow monofins and tails.
    I expect this to change soon with the Newcastle council always following the Sydney councils.
    As far as I know the three following pools allow both fins and tails,
    Maitliand
    Mayfield
    Lambton
    Unsure if an adult is required. I didn't have any issue using my monofin today by myself but will try out my tail on my own next week and see what happens!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    The small swimming centre at Mingara Club allows tails and monofins. And the aquatic centre at Wyong also allows them both.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Marion Outdoor and Unley Swimming centre in SA now both allow monofins only. Spotter required for Marion, not sure about Unley.
    ~Mermaid Salacia~
    Sea Witch of South Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/themermaidsalacia/
    mermaidsalacia.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Salacia View Post
    Marion Outdoor and Unley Swimming centre in SA now both allow monofins only. Spotter required for Marion, not sure about Unley.
    Thanks! That's good to hear that things are starting to change a bit in SA. Hopefully those pools will eventually allow Mermaid tails.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    Updated May 2019

Terry Tyzack Aquatic Centre Inglewood, The new Scarborough Beach Pool and the Leisurepark Balga.

Use of Mermaid Tails and Mono Fins by persons 12 years and older

o Mermaid tails and mono fins are to be used in conjunction with a facility booking for groups of 5 users or more.

o Groups of less than 5 may contact the facility and request to utilise available space without an existing booking. Space will be allocated at the discretion of the Duty Officer on the day, dependent of other facility bookings.

o Individuals or small groups (less than 5 people) may pay single entry and not pay for a facility booking.

o Prior to the commencement of the first booking all mermaid tail and mono fins users will be required to sign a liability release form. The form must be completed irrespective of whether an area for exclusive use is booked.

o Mermaid tail and mono fin users will be required to perform a competency assessment consisting of a 50m swim to be witnessed and signed off by a Duty Officer or Lifeguard.

o All users must sign in at reception and notify the Duty Officer upon each arrival to a City Aquatic Facility.

o All bookings/users must be accompanied at all times by a non-swimming adult (spotter/observer). The Spotter/Observer must be a competent swimmer and dressed appropriately to enter the water

o It is a requirement of all spotters to be on the pool deck, not in the water and at a distance where they are able to assist if required. The minimum spotter/observer to swimmer ratio for swimmers 18 years and over is 1:10.

o The minimum spotter/observer to swimmer ratio for swimmers 12 to 18 years is 1:5

o It is deemed appropriate for two individuals to ‘buddy up’ and spot each other (one in the water and one on pool deck)

Use of Mermaid Tails and Mono Fins by persons under the age of 12

o Mermaid tails and mono fins are not permitted for use at the City’s Aquatic Facilities by persons under the age of 12.

Breaches

o If a breach of this practice occurs the individual(s) will be requested to immediately cease.

o If an individual(s) fails to comply they may be asked to leave the facility.

o Management will review serious or repeated breaches as required and reserve the right to cancel booking(s) and/or refuse entry to the facility.

o Breath holding and free diving techniques are not endorsed
    Last edited by Kwilena; 05-09-2019 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Things have changed

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Further information with Stirling Leisure Centres if you are over 18 you don't need a spotter. (edit) Oh, apparently, yes you do need one, even though the documentation they gave me said I didn't.

You must be over 12 to use a tail/ monofin.
    Last edited by Kwilena; 09-16-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Add Kwilena on Google+
    For those mer in Perth, Western Australia who'd like to use the apparently quite merfolk friendly Beatty Park Pool here's a link to their current terms and conditions. https://photos.app.goo.gl/eDKLmsKRx1MVqNVW6

More in British Columbia Canada!

Kelowna BC- H20- allows Tails and monofins
    Vernon BC- rec center- Allows Tails (if experienced they know me well so allow me and some divers with monofins, but I have seen some kids get told not too)
    Armstrong BC- Outdoor pool- Allows Tails and Monofins
    Enderby BC- Outdoor pool- Allows Tails and Monofins (no go pros or underwater cameras though)

Added!

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwilena View Post
    For those mer in Perth, Western Australia who'd like to use the apparently quite merfolk friendly Beatty Park Pool here's a link to their current terms and conditions. https://photos.app.goo.gl/eDKLmsKRx1MVqNVW6
    These have been amended to:

Use of Mermaid Tails and Mono Fins by persons 12 years and older

o Mermaid tails and mono fins are to be used in conjunction with a facility booking for groups of 5 users or more.

o Groups of less than 5 may contact the facility and request to utilise available space without an existing booking. Space will be allocated at the discretion of the Duty Officer on the day, dependent of other facility bookings.

o Individuals or small groups (less than 5 people) may pay single entry and not pay for a facility booking.

o Prior to the commencement of the first booking all mermaid tail and mono fins users will be required to sign a liability release form. The form must be completed irrespective of whether an area for exclusive use is booked.

o Mermaid tail and mono fin users will be required to perform a competency assessment consisting of a 50m swim to be witnessed and signed off by a Duty Officer or Lifeguard.

o All users must sign in at reception and notify the Duty Officer upon each arrival to a City Aquatic Facility.

o All bookings/users must be accompanied at all times by a non-swimming adult (spotter/observer). The Spotter/Observer must be a competent swimmer and dressed appropriately to enter the water

o It is a requirement of all spotters to be on the pool deck, not in the water and at a distance where they are able to assist if required. The minimum spotter/observer to swimmer ratio for swimmers 18 years and over is 1:10.

o The minimum spotter/observer to swimmer ratio for swimmers 12 to 18 years is 1:5

o It is deemed appropriate for two individuals to ‘buddy up’ and spot each other (one in the water and one on pool deck)

Use of Mermaid Tails and Mono Fins by persons under the age of 12

o Mermaid tails and mono fins are not permitted for use at the City’s Aquatic Facilities by persons under the age of 12.

Breaches

o If a breach of this practice occurs the individual(s) will be requested to immediately cease.

o If an individual(s) fails to comply they may be asked to leave the facility.

o Management will review serious or repeated breaches as required and reserve the right to cancel booking(s) and/or refuse entry to the facility.

o Breath holding and free diving techniques are not endorsed
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!