Thread: Exact product to thin down silicone caulk with?

Exact product to thin down silicone caulk with?

Hi mers,

I'm experimenting a bit with my mairne safe silicone for my first tail project. I would like to figure out ways to paint it but I will have to thin the caulk down first.

I have researched quite a bit and I did see turpentine, mineral turpentine, Novocs and Naptha popping into the ether here and there so I thought this will be an easy one!

I ran a search online for these products but there were like 500 different kinds of each. So I decided to ask for an expert's help before I set myself on fire with the wrong product.

I went to this Wilko DIY store here in London to buy turpentine. The sun was out, I was whistling happily as I thought of my soon-to start mermaid tial project which I was about to get the turpentine for. Then I entered the store and started to look for turpentine. And I kept looking and looking. Then I asked someone. The only thing they could show me was a 'turpentine substitute' - when I asked them what should I thin the silicone caulk down with they gave me a veeeery strage look (I did not say a word about mermaids!!) and simply couldn't help me.

I understand even the thinning of the caulk is not an everyday DIY need, but his was the point where I rolled my eyes and left the store after I paid for my new polka dot glass (extra cute btw). So now I'm here to ask you before I purchase something that will eventually do some harm to my skin.

Can you guys show me a few brands and exact products that can be used as a thinner for the silicone caulk, and doesn't leave any funny chemials behind to harm your skin?

The one I found in Wilko, the turpentine substitute was this:
    http://www.wilko.com/white-spirit+br...98540#fullDesc

But I have to say when I see these 'great for cleaning your brushes' and 'highly effective' it is not something I would happily take a bath in, if you know what I mean.

So please please help with some exact products I can use for thinning what is actually skin safe too.
    I love you
    haveagreatweekend

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I am curious about this too

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I've been using this to thin down my silicone caulking after it was recommended to me by someone on the forum. It goes by other names such as shellite.

I'm not using silicone caulking on parts of my tail that will touch my skin due to sensitivity issues though. So maybe check out the safety info first. I know caulking takes a long time for it to safely degas as it is.

I use this

It works really well and is really gentle on the skin. They also make an eco friendly version of it that comes in a green bottle and is even gentler on the skin.

Thank you so much both. I was really nervous getting something that might seemingly work well but in the background can cause harm. I will defo check these products.

Please keep the tips coming if you have any more

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

~**~**My tailmaking thread**~**~

Considering the name 'Mermaid Triteia'

I'd really love a tutorial on how to make a mold or something. I have no intentions of making a tail but I'd love to make some silicone shapes like shells or starfish hehe

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    White spirits, petroleum distillate, kerosene, turpentine substitute are all the same thing...

I haven't tried it myself, but I will experiment later, with denatured alcohol. It's not s petroleum product and evaporates completely. It leaves no residue, and I know some people use it to thin silicone for airbrushing.

Its vapors are explosively flammable, like all the other solvents listed, so be super careful!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I'd really love a tutorial on how to make a mold or something. I have no intentions of making a tail but I'd love to make some silicone shapes like shells or starfish hehe

You can cover your item to be cast with a thick layer of silicone caulk, and remove your master items. Coat the inside liberally with a mold release (petroleum jelly, oil, etc.) And fill the cavity with more silicone. Peel the new silicone positive out of your initial silicone mold. Build a mold box around that and fill it with a urethane resin and let it harden, then remove your silicone positive.

You have to make a flexible version of your shells/starfish, etc., so you can remove it from the resin mold. If you just made a mold with resin over your master items, you'd never extract the original from the resin.

If your end product is going to be soft, you need to make a hard mold. If your end product is going to be hard, you need to make a soft/flexible mold.

Thank you PearlieMae. I didn't know all these products were the same. I think I will go with Momo's product for now as my biggest fear is, I get something that seemingly works a treat, but I may cause skin damage with it which can remain unsees for quite a while until you end up using the tail for a longer period.

I will give a shot to the denatured alcohol too, if I can borrow a little. I wear a gas mask even when I'm experimenting with the caulk just to be on the safe side so hopefully that willbe enough (It's originally for my matte spray lacquer I use for painting dolls so it filters the very fine gas too)

Edit: I think I'm gonna have trouble finding your product in the UK (or near) Momo :Đ yaaahaaay...
    Last edited by moniee; 02-29-2016 at 05:36 PM.

~**~**My tailmaking thread**~**~

Considering the name 'Mermaid Triteia'

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Here is an awesome link and write up about non toxic solvents https://naomidlynch.com/2013/08/13/t...t-5/#more-1002 I understand that using marine silicone is of the acetic type that really isn't good against the body. You can probably get away with it on the outside of the tail to thin and paint s it looks like it would stick better being a one part acetic silicone. I am researching myself instead of using two part dragon skin to thin and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    I use this

It works really well and is really gentle on the skin. They also make an eco friendly version of it that comes in a green bottle and is even gentler on the skin.
    Just a warning to anyone who reads this, the green no-odor version of this product does not actually thin the silicone. It just makes it a milky white color, and gives it a fluffy, rubbery consistency. I wanted to thin the caulk and tint it with acrylic or oil paint, however the paint thinner only made the silicone tough and cure in <10 minutes. I used GE all purpose silicone 1 as is pictured in Momo's post. Will try standard paint thinner as well just to see. If you have any use for a fluffy silicone though, this might work for you lol