Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Nonprofessional mermaids just goofing off

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    My wife and I decided on a Christmas cruise vacation to Hawaii. Naturally I took my tail. To avoid weight and bulk, I took the Fin Fun, the one I had modified with a stiffer, polycarbonate insert. I expected to swim in the pool during the At Sea days (9 total) and in a pool at a waterfall during one of the shore excursions.

So what happens during my first swim? Five minutes after entering the water: Pop! The insert breaks. The break was left to right, right under the arch of the foot.

I went to customer services on the ship to see if they could do anything. They offered to take it away and see if their maintenance folks could fix it. I declined, as I had no idea what they would actually do. They could give me a roll of duct tape.

I went to the on-board gift shop and bought some novelty pencils. They had a large diameter, over half an inch. At that point I knew I had a chance; the pencils were decorated with drawings of mermaids.

Half an hour of tape work later, and I had a useable fin. The repair would only last about an hour in the pool. The tape would work lose, and once wet, would no longer stick. On top of that, the cheaply made pencils were put together with questionable glue, and had splices. But, it was good enough for a few swims on the way over, during the waterfall excursion, and a couple while coming home.

No more polycarbonate. Polypropylene from now on. It’s cheaper in any case.
    Name:  DSCN0367.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  773.1 KB
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    Looks great, though!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post

Okay but seriously is there a secret to taking good selfies that show off your tail?! Lol
    This is my first tail, it arrived a few days ago and I'm super excited! Gonna swim in it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've used my mirror on the wall before to take selfies.

My first tail swim was at a hotel's pool with my family. A kid and her brother saw me and thought I was a mermaid. Even after I took my fabric tail off and swam with my weak human legs, they just thought that I was a sick mer.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren_Eclipse View Post
    My first tail swim was at a hotel's pool with my family. A kid and her brother saw me and thought I was a mermaid. Even after I took my fabric tail off and swam with my weak human legs, they just thought that I was a sick mer.
    Gotta say...that sounds freaking adorable!

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Hee I like this thread. I joined the mer-community not so long ago so I'm still totally in awe of all of this. I've yet to get my tail wet (UK pools are .......well they barely allow anything save a few very specific ones where there are local swim meets...which my work has managed to make me miss all of them up to yet...) I'm in the middle of MAKING a fabric tail for myself ( I bought a fin fun as a beginner tail and am already making a sequin one before i've even swum XD) Hope to go soon!

Same XD Lol!
    Sea Life's Beauty