Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nonprofessional mermaids just goofing off

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kait's Avatar
    Yay for finding a pool Mermaid Ava! It can certainly be a challenge in recent times.
    Mermaid Kait

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Ava View Post
    I just had a terrific encounter yesterday! My friend(whom I've turned into a mermaid as well lol) and I were at her apartments, working out at the gym. We saw that the pools there were cleaned out so we went and asked the front desk if they were open, which they were. Our next question is if they allowed tails and they did!!!

We immediately rushed to her apartment and grabbed out tails and hopped in the water. We swam around a bit, it was a lot of fun and our first swim for 2016. We worked on everything since we haven't had our tails very long.... Anyway, I was splashing around and I saw this girl and her father approach the pool. The little girl was grinning ear to ear and her father asked if he could take a picture. I said sure and asked if the girl wanted to sit next to me for the picture. She was extremely excited and they both left with smiles on their faces. That was the happiest moment of my mer life ^.^

I'm the one in the green tail. My friend is the one in the blue
    Attachment 36778
    Attachment 36779
    Nice! You might have just created another Mermaid! What brand tails are those?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

So I think the following photo fits in with the theme of 'non professional mermaids goofing off' - Here is myself and TheMermanDan at the pool on Saturday having a bit of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Kait View Post
    Yay for finding a pool Mermaid Ava! It can certainly be a challenge in recent times.
    Indeed it can. I clapped when the lady in the office said we could swim in our tails lol. Also, not sure why my friend's picture went sideways. I was the one that bought her the tail for Christmas xD
    Formerly known as MermaidSasha

Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    So I think the following photo fits in with the theme of 'non professional mermaids goofing off' - Here is myself and TheMermanDan at the pool on Saturday having a bit of fun!

Oh my Gosh!! Best picture ever lol! I really like your tails. What brand are they?

And to answer your question, I bought mine and hers from The2Tails.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Ava View Post
    Oh my Gosh!! Best picture ever lol! I really like your tails. What brand are they?

And to answer your question, I bought mine and hers from The2Tails.
    Both FinFun! And thanks!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Neat pics mers!

I've found mermaiding also gives you skills you can use in the workplace and get over some hinderances, like if you have trouble talking to customers, or are scared to approach people, stuff like that. You've already practiced it with swimming in your tail, and talking to people of all ages. So that you're not as fearful of random strangers as you once was. Well for me anyways, I now enjoy talking to people and have even done a customer service course to help me get a job in that industry.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I love how Merman Dan pulls off to look that butch in a pink/purple tail lol.
    Last edited by Echidna; 05-09-2016 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spell is hard

Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    Both FinFun! And thanks!

Thank you Might have to get a Fin Fun one next

I am moving to a house on the bay with my family. We have been going back and forth from both houses moving stuff in so I took my tail with me over to the new house so that I could go for a swim. The water was nice and calm and from the dock it looked clear. I walked down to the shore and it was clear when I was looking out from the beach. Unfortunately when I was in my tail and level with the water, it was a lot harder to see the random obstacles in the water (I forgot my goggles). After a lot of eyeing the water I determined where I could swim without hitting something, so I went for it but eventually I ran into a stump which really startled me so I stayed in the shallow water after that. When winter comes and the bay gets really clear and shallow we will most likely move a bunch of the logs out of the way so that I can swim without fear of bumping into something. On the plus side I had fun watching little fish trying to figure out if I was dangerous or not when I was being very still in the shallows. Most of them were too afraid to swim over my tail and they instead opted to swim all the way around very quickly haha.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Yesterday I went with my pod to a dive-in movie. It was super awesome but the chlorinated the bjeezus out of the water. Probably in preparation of how many small children might be there, and knowing they have a tendency to not run to the bathroom. Ewww. Anyway, this meant i couldnt bear to have my eyes open in the water. (Id neglected to bring any goggles) and so when trying to dart to the side of the pool i ended up swimming full speed into a wall! It made a pretty cool smack sound, i must say. Luckily i got checked out immediately and was given a clean bill of health, but this morning i woke up to find a very cartoonish lump on my head. Note to self: ALWAYS HAVE GOGGLES. or put my arms in front of me....

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Ouch! Glad you're all right. And I'm totally a goggle-wearing mer too- both because of chlorine and because I'm blind as a bat without my contacts. There's five pairs in my pool bag for me and the kid, because her friends always forget theirs.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Oh do you have perscription goggles? Ive heard those to be pretty expensive! I cant imagine them not being worth it though. It would suck to go swimming and have to blindly dive for your glasses if they'd fallen off.

I'm still trying to find out where to go to go swimming somewhere in public. Working from 1 pm to 9 pm makes it difficult to go anywhere to swim. Some time soon, I hope! Especially now that I'm getting a second tail (It should be here by Monday! Eee! I'm excited!)

I have a four foot pool in the backyard and that's where I'm practicing atm. I'm living with my parents, so it's like every night for 30 minutes I'm in the pool practicing. I've only been doing this for roughly two weeks. Any tips or tricks on how to stay under the water without floating up? I swear my bum is a bubble! lol.

Exhaling all of the air out of my lungs generally does it for me. Another is just knowing how to angle yourself so you sink. But i think accidentally floating is way better than accidentally sinking. :X especially when strapped into a tail!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dividedbyziro View Post
    Exhaling all of the air out of my lungs generally does it for me. Another is just knowing how to angle yourself so you sink. But i think accidentally floating is way better than accidentally sinking. :X especially when strapped into a tail!!

Thank you for the tip! I've been doing that more and more. I've got moderate to severe asthma so it's something that I'd have to really focus on and build up to to stay underwater for any length of time. Yes, I'm doing this safely - my mom's a respiratory therapist. If I ever have an issue, I bring it to her. If I can't ever go underwater for longer amounts of time, it's not like it'll be a life crushing experience. I can be a top dwelling mermaid.

Best of luck!<3

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dividedbyziro View Post
    Oh do you have perscription goggles? Ive heard those to be pretty expensive! I cant imagine them not being worth it though. It would suck to go swimming and have to blindly dive for your glasses if they'd fallen off.

I got mine from a local brand. Its a general style with two eye cups. Pretty dorky looking but at least I can see.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Nereid View Post
    I'm still trying to find out where to go to go swimming somewhere in public. Working from 1 pm to 9 pm makes it difficult to go anywhere to swim. Some time soon, I hope! Especially now that I'm getting a second tail (It should be here by Monday! Eee! I'm excited!)
    Yay! What brand tail is it? Bummer about the work situation, could you find time to swim before work, since most pools open early?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Nereid View Post
    I have a four foot pool in the backyard and that's where I'm practicing atm. I'm living with my parents, so it's like every night for 30 minutes I'm in the pool practicing. I've only been doing this for roughly two weeks. Any tips or tricks on how to stay under the water without floating up? I swear my bum is a bubble! lol.
    Whenever I go for a swim in the pool I'll do a duck dive first (head down, bum up and dive down!) so I can swim along the bottom of the pool or as close to the bottom as I can get. I find that once I get swimming with my tail I end up finding a natural stroke that keeps me swimming at the same depth. I feel like the deeper you go the easier it is stay deep, I think due to the increased pressure, so that's probably why I naturally prefer to swim along the bottom throughout my swim. You may also just be naturally buoyant or it could even be your tail that is making you more buoyant if it is made from Neoprene.

Most free divers use weight belts to stay neutrally buoyant, and some even use neck weights which is kind of like a giant necklace made out of lead balls encased in waterproof tape. Whilst it does feel awesome swimming along at the same depth without having to make any effort to stop from rising up, I think I'm going to try to master being able to swim without a weight belt, so I look more natural. Though when I get to making my neoprene/lycra hybrid tail I might have to invest in some weights.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    The shallower the water, the harder to stay down.
    If you are not a sinker, you might want to experiment with weights.

Be careful with exhale dives tho.
    While nothing should happen in such a shallow pool, if you go deeper while on exhale, you can squeeze your lungs.