Thread: Alternative to E6000?

Alternative to E6000?

Hello!

After I've seen the threat about E6000 being toxic, I decided to not use my unopened one anymore. Is there a not that toxic alternative out there but as strong as the E6000?

Thanks for help!
    <object classid="clsidFacebook: Mermaid Miradis ------- Twitter: @MermaidMiradis
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    YouTube: Mermaid Miradis
    </object>

I saw a whole wall of alternative adhesives in Michael's yesterday, and was wondering the same thing myself. But I think all super-strength adhesives are probably going to be similarly toxic, to be honest. But the folks who are getting sick admitted they were using it very extensively and weren't in a properly ventilated place. If you're outside or have an open window and a fan, and your exposure is brief, you should be fine. Respirators for fumes aren't that expensive, if you're really worried-- I saw one at Home Depot for about $30 that said it was for VOCs. (I think)

But there's also a reason I sew my stuff instead of using glue...it may take longer, but I can do it inside watching TV and it smells much better.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

This is a guide we use in cosplay, and the last line shows which are toxic or not:
    Name:  glues.jpg
Views: 7247
Size:  31.8 KB

But Dancing Fish is correct, if you're in a well-ventilated place, it shouldn't be a problem.

Wow that is so handy! Thanks!
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Off topic a little, but it's not really using E6000 I worry about. I have ventilation in my space and I use a mask and usually gloves. I worry about the fumes that projects NEVER stop emitting. I was keeping my tops and accessories to store in my bedroom and I was waking up to the smell. I have an accessory in my car right now and I could smell it my whole drive to work. If I can smell it I'm obviously breathing it and well, that can't be good.

ooh. I've never used E6000 before-- does it never stop reeking? That's super helpful to know-- I was about to start using it here and there but I'm very sensitive to fumes. I may just stick to sewing then!
    Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MerPixie View Post
    This is a guide we use in cosplay, and the last line shows which are toxic or not:
    Name:  glues.jpg
Views: 7247
Size:  31.8 KB

But Dancing Fish is correct, if you're in a well-ventilated place, it shouldn't be a problem.
    This is a great chart, but fuzzy on my device. Can anyone tell me what the one on the far right is?

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

I was wondering that too! I just went to Joann and couldn't find it.
    Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fish View Post
    ooh. I've never used E6000 before-- does it never stop reeking? That's super helpful to know-- I was about to start using it here and there but I'm very sensitive to fumes. I may just stick to sewing then!
    Nope, never. It's bizarre. I get little whiffs of it when I wear my mer-tops.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Alternatives to E6000, you could just look up the company and see what other types of glue they make. Then see if they have it at your local store. Saves time on trial and error too.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I found that my pieces stop smelling if I leave them out in my garage for a while. You could be getting a smell from the piece in your car because of the piece heating up.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I think its better just to sew them on! Beats having to deal with smells.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by anami View Post
    This is a great chart, but fuzzy on my device. Can anyone tell me what the one on the far right is?

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk
    I can't either! I was searching everywhere last week for a clearer pic and couldn't find one V_V

The one on the far right is called Gem Tac. It's mostly used for putting on rhinestones.