Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most recognizable Ariel?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel

Most recognizable Ariel?

Okay so besides the obvious green tail with purple clam-shell bra I was wondering which Ariel costume people consider the most recognisable? The green dress that wasn't in the movies but seems to be the theme park dress or the pink Movie dress.

Last edited by Mer-Crazy; 03-11-2016 at 02:07 AM.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Felicia's Avatar
    Personally I like the green more and see it a lot more as well! That pink dress and her red hair just look awful together imo
    “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

-- Dr. Seuss

Instagram @Mermaid_Felicia
    Find me on Facebook

I love the seafoam. As a person who frequents Toys R US, almost all branding for Ariel is the seafoam green now. Yet the hair on the pink dress is way more ionic.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Green dress stands out more.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Greeen! Here is my cosplay from last year:

Super pretty Ariel! Haha. Did you make it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the green is more recognizable, for sure, but I actually really love her normal outfit from Kiss the Girl, with the blue skirt and black corset? I know it's not an option but have to throw a little love that way, haha.

That's actually me favourite one haha. But it's for a work thing and they want the more princessy look and I'm a little out of touch with the kiddies so I wasn't sure which was more iconic. I'd love to do Belle, because I love her look and I suit her the most but I can't find a yellow gown I like (that isn't crazy expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    Super pretty Ariel! Haha. Did you make it?

i wish I had made it myself! It's ordered from Angel Secret.

Well it looks fabulous <3

My favourite would be her sail dress to be honest... But that might not be very recognisable as Ariel.
    Firefly Path once made a super cool take on it though - for Traci Hines Part of Your World music video...
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Merley's Avatar
    Add Merley on Facebook
    I think her blue day dress and the pink ball gown are easily the most iconic. At least in my mind. The wedding dress is also pretty recognizable with the puff sleeves. I don't think the sparkly dress she emerges from the water with at the end of the movie gets enough attention as far as cosplay is concerned. That'd be cool to see. Not sure how great a choice it would be for a kids' event though. I'd probably stick with the pink gown. It'd be more recognizable as Ariel than the blue one since her current evolution still features her in that dress or a green variation of it than the blue day dress. I also love her little pink nightie, that would just be a cute cosplay idea.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Seeing as I am a doll collecting Disney buff, I thought I would enlighten y'all with a few fun facts Did you know that there was a specific reason for Ariel's dress changing colors from pink to green? The reason was that in the year 2000 the Disney Princess line and its merchandise were released. Prior to that, any princess movies or items were only for their specific movie in the cinematic universe with no correlation. However, that year the Disney marketing team decided that they could group all the princesses from their movies together and push them together to make more merchandise overall and brand the 'Disney Princesses' as its own theme. With this theme, the marketing team thought that each princess would have to stand out from each other. This, however, posed an issue. Several of the princesses shared the same dress color. That simply could not do if they were trying to stand out! The first change (and the easiest) was to change Aurora from Sleeping Beauty's dress. Aurora, Jasmine and Cinderella shared blue for their dress color. The team decided, though, that because Jasmine didn't really wear a dress, and because it was a much brighter turquoise blue, that it had a decent enough contrast from Cinderella's powder blue gown. But what about Aurora? Well, because Aurora's dress kept swapping colors mid movie from blue to pink (It was blue for a majority of the screen-time, and several of the larger scenes occur with her wearing blue, so blue had been her defined dress color to they Disney team up to that point), the marketing team found it easiest to simply transfer her to pink. Only, Ariel was also pink! They were posed, once again, with the same problem. Though they are different shades, they dresses themselves were too similar to stand out from one another. The team felt that changing Aurora to an entirely different color unlike anything from the movie would be strange, so Ariel would have to change. Ariel being a mermaid was already the biggest part of her movie though, and she was far more recognizable in her tail than in a dress. Because of this, the team smartly decided to change her dress to match the color of her more recognizable tail. And viola! Ariels seafoam green dress was born!

Of the more princess-y options I prefer her green dress, and definitely thing that, due to the merchandising, it is much more recognizably Ariel.
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    they use the green dress in advertising way more than the pink. to me she'll always be pink or the little french dress she wore (black corset blue dress) but I SEE the green way more

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    I have to say that yeah, the kiddies do love the green dress (I do princess parties so I'm pretty in touch with what the guppies recognize) so If you have to pick one of her formal dresses I would say green. But personally I am with Raina, I much prefer the classic Ariel dresses. As a matter of fact i use the kiss the girl ensemble for the parties just because it is easier to movie it that a full ball gown. Plus the little ones just love that big bow!

This is a picture of mine (minus the super voluminous wig I use for parties, because this was my birthday and so I just left my natural hair for it)

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Saelyyia View Post
    I have to say that yeah, the kiddies do love the green dress (I do princess parties so I'm pretty in touch with what the guppies recognize) so If you have to pick one of her formal dresses I would say green. But personally I am with Raina, I much prefer the classic Ariel dresses. As a matter of fact i use the kiss the girl ensemble for the parties just because it is easier to movie it that a full ball gown. Plus the little ones just love that big bow!

This is a picture of mine (minus the super voluminous wig I use for parties, because this was my birthday and so I just left my natural hair for it)
    ive done princess parties in the green dress as well with a company tho now I freelance and was wondering about just using this dress. Do the kids ever seem disappointed that you're not wearing a ball gown? Or the parents were expecting you to wear something bigger and glittery?
    ~Mermaid Tory~
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidTory

Formerly known as Tswan114

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    The kids love this dress without all the glitter. I think part of it is because I have a very full vintage crinoline underneath it and I made the skirt very very full so I can still spin and get the "princess effect". Also little girls are a sucker for the big bow. The other part is that in this dress I carry my antique dingle hopper and sensation rides on my shoulder a lot. The kids see the dress and immediately bust out singing kiss the girl a lot.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Member Pod of Texas mermaid_ashes's Avatar
    Add mermaid_ashes on Facebook
    At my company (were party entertainers) we use the green dress, this is my version of it. When the merchandise for the the redesign first came out the green dress was slow to catch on. But now most party company's use it and all the dolls and merch have her in the green dress. Plus it looks great with ariels coloring.

Name:  10632730_679562262147882_4333099150714810447_n.jpg
Views: 5667
Size:  86.5 KB

My 2nd favorite is the the "Kiss the Girl" Dress. We use it at events where the green dress is hard to maneuver in or we pair it with Belle in her "Town" dress. This is my kiss the girl look.

Name:  10431175_578306898933509_3317563037434216770_o.jpg
Views: 5657
Size:  162.3 KB
    ~Mermaid AshesLaree~
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming
    facebook
    instagram

I love both of the dresses, but I think the green one suits Ariel better.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I think pink but both would work im sure