Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educational challenge.

Cool Educational challenge.

Ok, I'm going to go taboo on you. I challenge you to target the true cause of global warming with your fans, fish friends and kids your entertaining at parties. We all want to save the Ocean. How about addressing the true cause of global warming?

Sure, cars and plastic bottles are also a huge contributor. But wouldn't it be nice to know there is more we can do to make a difference? I so wish someone taught me at a young age that I didn't necessarily need meat and animal products to be healthy. Sure it could be a challenge to talk with kids about the idea of perhaps going vegetarian. But wouldn't it feel amazing if you were the reason they made the switch?

I know some of you will disagree with me. That's okay! But if you are into it think of the impact it could make!! Most mermaids I know only eat sea weed. Here's why;

One person can make a difference. Will you?

Yay I'm a vegetarian who limits my dairy consumption by using soy milk in my coffee, cereal, etc. instead of dairy milk.
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

Ahhh this is interesting! After being vegan for a year or so, I still avoid most all meats but seafood (and chicken, I can't lie, my school is right by chick fil a) and I pretty much just thought I was saving a few pigs and cows. I'd love to see the research behind these statistics and see what contributed to the total carbon footprints. I eat local seafood, too, and I bet that cuts down on the carbon footprint of transportation. Very interesting study, thanks for sharing

But would you be willing to find a kid friendly way to incorporate into educational parties? Parents will over hear also- which could ease the day when the ocean-loving child comes home one day and does decide they want to be vegetarian...

Why not just tell them animals need to be with their families too? :P
    The SeaGlass Siren

I have not done any birthday parties outside of family, but would be very happy to discuss this with anyone willing to listen, if I could back it up with some sort of evidence. Also, how do you get kids to listen to you without mum and dad freaking out over you telling their kids what to do and acting like you're some sort of zealot?? ? I am vegan aside from fish a couple times a year and some dairy which I am phasing out.

If I can recall there was a bts special feature on the finding nemo DVD that talks about ocean pollution.
    as for the vegetarian bit I do recall our friend Dory and the Sharks are also vegetarian.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Watch Earthlings doc if you dare, it is shocking radical truth, but it will save your soul!! I truly feel like Im on another level now that I speak up for the animals everyday simply by what I choose to put on my plate. Blessed be, compassion over killing <3

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Imagine if we all stopped eating cows. The methane production would be astronomical, endangering the ozone layer. Save the planet - eat a cheeseburger!!
    (sorry... had to)
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    Imagine if we all stopped eating cows. The methane production would be astronomical, endangering the ozone layer. Save the planet - eat a cheeseburger!!
    (sorry... had to)
    You've got a point there, Dan

I don't have the money to be that picky. Any type of special diet is expensive, time-consuming, and can even be wasteful.

I lived in a motel for the first four years of my life with 4 other people. Gotta take what I can get, even if I don't like it. But I must say, I've tried cheeseburgers up and down the East Coast. Not about to give that up.

(Longhorn Steakhouse was my favorite)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Being Vegan is the way to go, and it is not expensive at all to do. If you can afford a starbucks coffee everyday, you can afford to go Vegan. And being Vegan means no meat! That includes seafood, etc.

Seriously watch Earthlings, Cowspiracy, Fork over knives! That will show you where your food really comes from and why it is all bad!

Vegans for life!

$4 isn't really the same as $50+ it takes to go vegan. Going vegan isn't cheap, multiple studies have shown it, if it was there would be more poor people who're vegan. Having the choice to be vegan isn't there or accessible for everyone

sent from my shellphone using tapatalk

I WISH I could afford Starbucks every day. I get it once a month or less.

^Thanks, Momo!

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

How to go Vegan for cheap.

Almond Milk $5
    Huge bag of rice $10
    Huge bag of mixed beans/lentils $10

Veggies, $7-$10 a week.

Total:
    $65.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAutisticMermaid View Post
    How to go Vegan for cheap.

Almond Milk $5
    Huge bag of rice $10
    Huge bag of mixed beans/lentils $10

Veggies, $7-$10 a week.

Total:
    $65.
    And then you won't have to worry about socializing because your constant flatulence will drive everybody away!

(And vegan is no meat, milk, butter, honey, eggs, cheese, breath mints and most candies (gelatin is derived from cows), anything derived from any kind of animal. Vegans don't wear leather, fur, wool or silk and are against zoos, circuses, rodeos, animal testing and any other industry that exploits or abuses animals.)

And $7 to $10 a week for veggies? If you eat only potatoes, MAYBE.
    Last edited by PearlieMae; 08-23-2016 at 11:23 AM.

I am vegan and do just fine considering I am on a limited budget. As does my wife as well. I have come to realize that people make every excuse in the book of why they can't go Vegan, etc..But claim to LOVE animals. Some simple research, education and effort not to be ignorant is all it takes to realize it is so much easier than you think.

I don't really wanna get into this discussion, especially on here....It can get quite heated fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Russet View Post
    Ahhh this is interesting! After being vegan for a year or so, I still avoid most all meats but seafood (and chicken, I can't lie, my school is right by chick fil a) and I pretty much just thought I was saving a few pigs and cows. I'd love to see the research behind these statistics and see what contributed to the total carbon footprints. I eat local seafood, too, and I bet that cuts down on the carbon footprint of transportation. Very interesting study, thanks for sharing
    And that's not even close to being vegan...you might be leaning vegetarian-ish, but you're still eating things that had a mother.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAutisticMermaid View Post
    I am vegan and do just fine considering I am on a limited budget. As does my wife as well. I have come to realize that people make every excuse in the book of why they can't go Vegan, etc..But claim to LOVE animals. Some simple research, education and effort not to be ignorant is all it takes to realize it is so much easier than you think.

I don't really wanna get into this discussion, especially on here....It can get quite heated fast.
    You probably hate me. My point is that yes, you CAN go vegan on a budget, but it's NOT easy.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    You probably hate me. My point is that yes, you CAN go vegan on a budget, but it's NOT easy.
    You are absolutely correct. I do not think I will be able to convert on $650 a month with $400 for rent.

Also, I would not want to. Denying basic human nature is, in essence, a first-world problem. As I have said previously, I take what I can get, whether I like it or not.

Laumina the Storm Siren

I don't hate you at all @PearlieMae!! Hugs.. I just love a good debate and due to my Autism I remember almost everything I read so I always have a bunch of facts in my head.