View Poll Results: Anonymous poll: How acceptable should erotica be on MerNetwork?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Most nudity prohibited (like Facebook)

11 18.33%
  • Anything goes (like Reddit or Tumblr)

11 18.33%
  • Strike a balance, closer to Facebook

18 30.00%
  • Strike a balance, closer to Reddit

10 16.67%
  • Some other approach not listed here

4 6.67%
  • I'm unsure, conflicted, or undecided

6 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A thread for people to discuss MerNetwork's policy on erotica

Here's my train of thought for how i decided to post the thread: Initially I had put it in the just talk thread because it wasn't specifically mer related but involved the shipping our mermen (I wasn't sure if it was still on the topic of mers ish because it involved our mermen) and it was originally for fanfics and fan art of the mermen (though now that I think about it, it would've made sense to put it in the gender and sexuality threads to begin with). This was pre-butt. I saw that there was opposition of having non-mer related threads, and believe me if I didn't think it was relevant I wouldn't have posted it in the first place. So yeah that's how that started.
    I feel so horrible and responsible for this now knowing we could have been liable or gotten people in trouble. Sorry if it made any of you mers uncomfortable I take full accountability for this.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Don't feel bad at all seaglass siren! Please dont! You had fine intentions and being funny. We all kinda dropped the ball on that one so please please please don't feel bad.

I think Iona really summed up everything well.

Sorry I broke the Thread, I kinda had a feeling I may have gone overboard with a few of the pictures, But everyone seemed to enjoy them and I was trying to make them tasteful. Oh well, No more butt pics I guess.

it just made me think of:

Oh my god is that where "what what in the butt" came from?????
    The SeaGlass Siren

no, other way around. lol

The SeaGlass Siren

I think that erotic content has its place. That said, mods, I was wondering if the entire gender and sexuality section needs to be age restricted, or if there should be an age-restricted sub-category in Gender and Sexuality for those sorts of posts?

That way, posts on things like representations of mermen in society or advocating women's rights through mermaiding or even gender identity can be open to everyone.

Of course, that assumes that the age-restricted content belongs on the mernetwork to begin with. If someone really wants to share and look at pictures of my fellow mermen (or mermaids) and has fun doing so (compliments and being cheered on can be a rush), maybe forming a google hangout or Skype group might work. Someone could also form a group on fetlife for mer appreciation, though I believe they restrict videos.

I think that the fan page seemed like fun, and I'm sorry I missed it, but it looked like it would serve better off-site. And by the way, frazzy, Arion, Fernando, Keiris, Coradion, and so forth are very hot and no one involved should feel guilty, but we know from experience that merfolk can be sensual/sexual/flirtatious/aroused individuals, so we need to make sure that such energy gets exercised in a healthy way (and not with NSFW pictures for anyone to see on the main rooms).

K most of the posts here to me look like an attack on Frazzy because it only got eroticish when he started posting his tail plug pix.

That being said if there are kids coming onto this site then threads like this should be put under an age restriction and Im pretty sure Keirion proved that the age thing works because he couldnt even find the thread after it was moved to the appropriate catagory.

Personally keeping the thread in the restricted section should be all thats needed to keep everyone happy and for those that dont wanna see just stay away from that particular thread its not that complicated.

Im sorry but these reactions to sexual stuff wether mer or not to me is just ridiculous and quite honestly prudish. Sexuality and sexual things are NOT a crime nor are they wrong and theres nothing wrong with enjoying that stuff.

Dont punish people for having fun on a thread that was in a section with an age limit already in place so young ones couldnt see it.

Honestly I think this whole thing is ridiculous because now several people are clearly feeling like shit because they participated in a HARMLESS thread that people are overreacting to.

This is my opinion on this whole mess sorry not sorry

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I don't think it was an attack, per se...more like we reached a tipping point and it was time to dial it back and perhaps regroup and move it elsewhere.

There's no attack, but we do have a rule against it and since it's a gray area, it needs to be discussed. There's no need to be defensive.

That being said if there are kids coming onto this site then threads like this should be put under an age restriction and Im pretty sure Keirion proved that the age thing works because he couldnt even find the thread after it was moved to the appropriate catagory.

it *wasnt* restricted. it was made restricted long long after the fact which is why Keirion could post in it earlier, and then not recently.

Personally keeping the thread in the restricted section should be all thats needed to keep everyone happy and for those that dont wanna see just stay away from that particular thread its not that complicated.

the section ISNT RESTRICTED which is the point, we are discussing if the entire section should be restricted, as many topics arent applicable to NSFW

Honestly, you need to calm down, don't over react, and read the actual facts here before stating your 'opinion'. It's like you just skimmed everything that was explained.

a HARMLESS thread that people are overreacting to.

this is a mermaid forum first, with many kids. explicit sexual content is not harmless, and as it's been discussed can get mernetwork in LEGAL trouble.

Do me a favour, before you comment on this again please go back and read everything that was said already. Literally no one got mad at anyone. We are talking about how to keep the MERMAID forum about mermaids, and having a respectful conversation about what we should allow and what we shouldnt'. Nobody was aggressive until you posted. no one blamed anyone, until you did.

Everyone here was supportive of the shipping thread as well, lets not forget. Nobody attacking frazzy at all. (Y) although I still feel quite responsible over this whole thing (I know I shouldn't but ;-; )

everyone raised very valid points and the last thing we (as a community) wants is for people to feel uncomfortable.
    (I don't have a problem with it, and the posters were... SUPER comfortable :P to say the least) but we do have be extra sensitive to those who might stumble upon the thread.

i hope you weren't feeling attacked Merida. While everyone did have a shit load of fun (pun not intended because.. Well... Butts.) We're all just trying to look out for each other in the best way possible so no one gets in trouble.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    Everyone here was supportive of the shipping thread as well, lets not forget. Nobody attacking frazzy at all. (Y) although I still feel quite responsible over this whole thing (I know I shouldn't but ;-; )

everyone raised very valid points and the last thing we (as a community) wants is for people to feel uncomfortable.
    (I don't have a problem with it, and the posters were... SUPER comfortable :P to say the least) but we do have be extra sensitive to those who might stumble upon the thread.

i hope you weren't feeling attacked Merida. While everyone did have a shit load of fun (pun not intended because.. Well... Butts.) We're all just trying to look out for each other in the best way possible so no one gets in trouble.

A thread for people to discuss MerNetwork's policy on erotica

Raina I'm not going to do shit for you after you went after me like that. Nearly every time I get involved with bullshit on this forum you come after me like a fucking pit bull and I am SICK of it so do me a favor and dial your own attitude back and stop attacking me like that

(Yeah I'm well aware this response is aggressive but I believe I'm allowed to be after being screamed at and humiliated like that by her for what feels like the umpteenth time)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    I'm sorry, "screamed at"? I think you need to separate your dislike for Raina from her actual posts because you are honestly being very hostile. We're having a civilised discussion here. It's not "attacking" to call you out on your hostility. I don't really know what to say to help you understand because it's been said before by different people with no apparent effect, but we try to be inclusive and welcoming on MN and posts like this one of yours are certainly NOT that, while Raina's posts on the whole ARE. If our brand of inclusiveness is not to your liking then perhaps there are other forums out there that might be better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMerida View Post
    Raina I'm not going to do shit for you after you went after me like that. Nearly every time I get involved with bullshit on this forum you come after me like a fucking pit bull and I am SICK of it so do me a favor and dial your own attitude back and stop attacking me like that

(Yeah I'm well aware this response is aggressive but I believe I'm allowed to be after being screamed at and humiliated like that by her for what feels like the umpteenth time)

I don't think Raina was trying to attack you at all, it didn't seem that way to me. There was no aggressive tone in her post and I don't think she's coming at you like a pit bull or screaming at you, but when you post something so angry and defensive, you're bound to get reactions. You're the only one here that seems to be taking it so hard, even the people involved aren't upset like you are. Raina doesn't just respond like that like with you, she does it to everyone. (Raina, not trying to act like i know you, just an observation) And I don't feel like Raina's response was unwarranted. I'm not sure why you think Frazzy was being singled out, because he wasn't. Everyone her has shared in the blame and no one was pointing fingers and no on go "punished" at all.

We were all having very friendly discussions about what happened and what we all think is appropriate to allow here on mernetwork. The forum is for mer related things, first and foremost. That thread, no matter how much fun everyone was having or wasn't, isn't mer related.

As Raina said, I don't feel like you read through the whole thread, because a lot of what you talked about has already been brought up. I honestly don't feel like you have any reason to be so upset over this. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but maybe take a step back and go though the rest of the thread and see the reasoning behind hings first.

^ the "honestly you need to calm down" was a bit much especially if you don't really know a person :P
    but she did bluntly clarify what happened in regards to thread restriction.
    The SeaGlass Siren

It's hard to read a persons "tone" over the Internet so while Raina's book :bingo!!: may have seemed like an attack, it wasn't. ^^'
    The SeaGlass Siren

... But I do think she needs to calm down lol. When you jump into a thread where everyone is already being calm and respectful, and berate them, arguing points that have already been addressed, and try to spin it so we are all ganging up on a person when we clearly aren't? That is an aggressive over reaction. And it is time to calm down.

If I wanted to be a pit bull (lol!!!!!) I would say a hell of a lot more than: calm down and read the thread.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk