Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are we unfair to tail designers and each other?

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I have seen a few times (particularly on the tailmaker threads), that someone will say a color scheme is too similar to another person's tail, it must be a copy! Wasn't there also some drama when Finfolk came up with the Calypso fluke, because Raven had just named a fluke Calypso? And I recall that it was also said that their 'leafy' looking fluke was a knockoff of the merbella's She-creature fluke.

Here's where I am on this... Keep in mind that many of us are 'copying' nature, mermaids from fiction, and sailors tales from long ago. There are only so many shapes and colors out there, some tails are going to look similar. Maybe I'm just not possessive of my designs, but if someone were to come up with something exactly like mine, I wouldn't be upset. They're going to be spending the $100s (perhaps $1000s) to make that design a reality. They must love it as much as I do. And I get a tailsister that I'll probably never meet.

I really don't understand the drama about the crappy looking knockoffs of merbellas and finfolk that Russian lady made. If someone is dumb enough to buy a cheap-looking knockoff rather than the real deal, that's their problem. Everything good is going to have knockoffs made. And they are called that for a reason; they are of lesser quality.

Now, if someone is good enough to create an exact copy (precise shape, color, and every little detail down to the microscopic level) with regards to quality, WHY THE HECK ARE YOU NOT COMING UP WITH YOUR OWN DESIGN?? Obviously they could really make something of themselves, if they came up with their own designs. Maybe even become a major tailmaker. And they would have the respect of the community to boot.

I do find that this community can be a bit harsh if you are on the opposite side of popular opinion. I've had to take breaks from the site because of this. I just didn't want to explode, so I stopped coming around for a while to cool down.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Tattoo artists have been fighting this battle for years. You will always have a person bringing in a picture of another artists work and want the same.

:P as a general rule I don't buy knock offs. It's an insult to the original creators. Example: knock off Chanel, knock off Anglic pretty... If people were ballsy enough to stand up to the knock off creator there wouldn't be knock offs in the first place. Someone's heart and soul went into that piece and to mimic it and sell it for cheaper (undercutting other tail makers) is just really disrespectful. (Which is kinda why I like MN for calling people out on it)

and the bs thing with the Russian copier is she IS good at her craft so, like you said, why isn't she designing her own tails?

i respect your opinion az.
    The SeaGlass Siren

With that said, I don't mind having a tail sister just so long as they gave me a heads up. "Oh my god I love your tail I really hope you don't mind if I make a copy of it".
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I have seen a few times (particularly on the tailmaker threads), that someone will say a color scheme is too similar to another person's tail, it must be a copy! Wasn't there also some drama when Finfolk came up with the Calypso fluke, because Raven had just named a fluke Calypso? And I recall that it was also said that their 'leafy' looking fluke was a knockoff of the merbella's She-creature fluke.

I feel like every one of those instances, it was OBSERVATIONS people made, and then they were addressed. For instance, the Calypso fluke was more a "Raven was using this name too, but hadn't published it" and everyone was like "cool, two flukes named calypso". (In fact i can tell you from personal discussion, Raven didn't want finfolk to think she was copying them in any way because she respects them as artists)

Or a "hey finfolk did a mantis shrimp colour scheme too!" and everyone talks about how they're different and the same.

I still say rarely do we actually have drama or negativity. PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO COMPARE SIMILAR PRODUCTS FROM SIMILAR COMPANIES. it's not a NEW idea and not unique to the mer world. it's normal.

I do find that this community can be a bit harsh if you are on the opposite side of popular opinion.
    I see your point but after 8 years here I gotta say, I think this particular issue is not as nit picky and crazy as some people here would say it is. Many people take a single snapshot of the community and decide it applies to the whole thing when in reality it's a rare occurrence. it is usually the people in the wrong who would have you believe it's the whole community with a "popular opinion'.

-----

I just don't get how so many people can not see what's happening here beyond the fact many people just haven't been around long enough to see the evolution, or arent active enough and only see things when they come to a head. Like we keep saying what tail makers must think, when the tail makers are literally here (thanks pearlie mae) telling you no, this is what we think! Are we just gonna allow these mental gymnastics to defend what is quite literally, theft and undermining of other artists?

Do people really not grasp the concept of respect for fellow artists?? Do we have to keep defending it with "waah people are nit picky?" or can we put on our big girl pants and accept the fact that a lot of this is incredibly hurtful to tail makers- the very people we trust to make our dreams come true?

I mean people can push the agenda all they want. At some point these tail makers are going to say "F" it to the BS and move on, and then we have one less.

I also feel that way too often people SIMPLY TALK ABOUT SOMETHING and others jump to conclusions and get defensive.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post

I see your point but after 8 years here I gotta say, I think this particular issue is not as nit picky and crazy as some people here would say it is. Many people take a single snapshot of the community and decide it applies to the whole thing when in reality it's a rare occurrence. it is usually the people in the wrong who would have you believe it's the whole community with a "popular opinion'.

Wow.... I'm a little speechless to be honest. So you're saying that if someone expresses a divergent opinion, and then everyone else proceeds to jump down their throat about it, it's their own fault for being wrong?

Way to blame the victim. Bravo.

I think it's time I get out of here again before I say things I regret.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

I'm a little speechless to be honest. So you're saying that if someone expresses a divergent opinion, and then everyone else proceeds to jump down their throat about it, it's their own fault for being wrong?

Lol wow that's totally what I said? Not even close to it. Not even close. That's like a major twisting around of my words, and to be honest kind of a perfect example of what the issue is here. Let's take a look again and this time I'll use an example;

Example of this behaviour:

Mernetwork had never ever been referred to as having "bullies" until people began to post negative reviews about mertailor. Never. I think we had 3 reviews that could be seen as "negative" and when you read them, people were really careful with their words. Then, we have mertailor make post after post about mernetwork on his personal FB page calling everyone bullies. To his hoards and hoards of fans. HE was in the wrong for treating his clients poorly, but spun it differently to his fans and began to push this agenda in his attempt to discredit anyone who looks at mernetwork. His hope that potential clients will believe it's just "haters" and not legit reviews.

You can see this exact mentality play out in the merrowfins thread. Someone else jumped in to a situation they weren't involved with, got things wrong, was politely corrected, and decided we are bullies which prompted multiple FB postings from other people not involved.

You get all these fans and followers of these people who aren't in the forums, or only come in and see a 'snapshot' and decide the entire forum is that one thing they're looking at. Ergo, we're all bullies. Ergo, Mernetwork is a bad place you can't learn anything from.

Plenty of people will tell you "I stay off mernetwork because so and so told me it's full of bullies" and usually so and so is someone who was actually reprimanded for breaking rules, and was the one causing the problems to begin with.

The popular opinion that was created by people committed to causing harm to mernetwork, and exploiting mermaids, is that mernetwork is just a place full of bullies and you shouldn't trust them for information or honest reviews or anything (you know, despite the huge efforts made to make sure reviews are legit as possible- which is even more hilarious because mertailor tried to exploit it by making fake accounts and making fake positive reviews lol) and that constant insistence of bullying makes people see bullying where it actually isn't. Or makes people already come into the forum feeling defensive (as others have given examples)

Now to address your intentional epic manipulation of my words....

No where did I say any of that, nor do I ever promote anything like that. I do think I can sit here and link you actual example after example of these cases in which to provide you with the proof that "it's not as bad as you think it is". I don't know how you get "
    if someone expresses a divergent opinion, and then everyone else proceeds to jump down their throat about it, it's their own fault for being wrong"

That would make no sense for me to say at all considering that would then apply to me and be me validating yeah it's OK people treat me like shit if they think I'm wrong (which happens a lot since I am very vocal). It would also make no sense considering I helped get mernetwork off the ground so people had a place to begin with to actually debate and discuss.

I am talking about these specific dramas mernetwork is known for (such as copying) and how people in the wrong will often manipulate and exploit it. Honestly, I think i've given more than enough examples of it in all the posts on here.

(side note: I have no idea why the italics wont go away in this post)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fish View Post
    Well, I couldn't find the other thread after a cursory search, but I submit this thread instead: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?12877

...how much does someone have to change an existing technique before it's no longer copying or infringing? If (hypothetically) I wanted to sell individual scale tails too, how much do I have to change my technique so I'm not copying Pearlie?

I see the other point you're making, though. If I made such tails, I would NEVER claim to have invented the method myself. That's just rude.
    Thing is, if you are making individual scale method tails - aka the Pearlie Method - unless you are making one with glow in the dark moons in the fluke and white spots up the blue sides, etc...you are not copying my work, you are using a technique that I am known for. Mermaid Odette would argue that she's the first to do individually scaled tails, but she did not share her technique. I didn't even know she'd done such a thing until my tail was nearly done! "The Pearlie Method" became the popular vernacular for the unwieldy 'Individual Scale Method'... and the moniker was bestowed - I didn't make it up!

I just feel where you did put out a tutorial, it makes me happy to see so many people referring to you as the pearlie mae method. it happens in other communities

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I can't deny that my overblown ego loves when I see it mentioned!