Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NC Mermania 2017

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Saren's Avatar
    Follow Saren On Twitter
    Follow Saren on Tumblr Visit Saren's Youtube Channel
    Thank you for the article. I understand now. And that's quite ridiculous.
    Mermaid Saren
    ||Tumblr||YouTube||Instagram||Twitter||

user formerly known as Fayrn

Completely.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Orca View Post
    Question: Now that it's legal to discriminate in NC based on anything LGBT, will the con still be there?

I know not all people in NC will be okay with this or are okay with it, but with a big community of LGBT and supporters in the mermaid community, I was wondering what would be done to protect those mers.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We still plan on having our event which practices inclusion of all people in NC. (mainly because these are the venues, hotels, we have lined up, and where the owner of mermania lives) But you raise valid concerns, and I will chat with the other staff. I feel it would be simple enough in our terms of agreement with the venues to have them sign something agreeing that all people and merfolk are to be included, not excluded. We also had security last year and at the other local conventions, and that should be doable again this year.

I will let you know the outcome, obviously with multiple LGBQTA mers in our community, this is important. The community of Greensboro was very supportive last year, and so far have been extremely supportive this year. They *want* the event hosted there, and are doing what they can to make it easier.

I would like to point out as well that I have attended all the NC mermaid conventions, met multiple Trans mers, and none were ever discriminated against. Though, I recall the Mirage Hotel, the original location of one of the mercons, was extremely homophobic. We have had nothing but positivity from our connections, and some of our trans friends were featured in positive light in local news as well.

I personally do not feel like this will affect our convention, but none the less will make every effort to ensure that it doesn't.
    Last edited by AniaR; 03-24-2016 at 10:06 PM.

And just to clarify, the article I read had only pointed out trans. Obviously, my statements will apply to the whole LGBQTA community. Everything in our power (and then some if I have to, haha)

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    So the Governor of NC signed this ridiculous thing. Way to embrace the Stone Age, there. I know two protests were scheduled for today. Here's hoping they made a difference.

Before NC Mer-Mania 2016 I made sure there were "family" restrooms one could use if the choice of the other two was not a comfortable option. I also discussed with the director about the nature of mermaiding and the absolute inclusion and equality of the LGBT community. I am uncertain about a family changing area but I will find out this week.

If anyone had any issues with discrimination at the GAC, Aquarium, or hotel please let me know either here or via private message.

As for how the GAC and City of Greensboro will react to this ordinance I will certainly find out as quickly as I can. And remember... I am NOT the Governor of NC. I did not make this call.

I will also be contacting the Triad Equality Alliance regarding how this ruling might affect future events. I will involve them further, if need be.

Bottom Line - You are my friends. I do not want anyone to be upset, uncomfortable, or heavens forbid fearful. I WILL be staying on top of this.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Thank you for staying on top of it, Dan. I have had very dear trans friends who have felt shamed and excluded because of sweeping decisions such as those being passed in NC. It's a pity you are NOT the governor.

My mer people, just come to Canada. :P
    The SeaGlass Siren

Pssh...

Oregon loves everyone... look how long it too us to get rid of those damned bird sanctuary people. XD

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

I like my weather and beaches here.

This year's was amazing! I can't wait for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    Word of warning i am going to be THAT "extra extra" person at the BALL.
    And, if I can make it, so will I!
    I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

Does anyone know what Springs are around the convention area and if you have to pay to swim?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I'm so excited I missed last year but definitely won't this year

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Does anyone know what Springs are around the convention area and if you have to pay to swim?

In my experience it's too cold this time of year for that. Plus the con keeps people really busy. I didnt even know there were springs. I think there's just hot springs from what i can google? http://hotspringsnc.org/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Orca View Post
    Pssh...

Oregon loves everyone... look how long it too us to get rid of those damned bird sanctuary people. XD

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    In my experience it's too cold this time of year for that. Plus the con keeps people really busy. I didnt even know there were springs. I think there's just hot springs from what i can google? http://hotspringsnc.org/
    I mixed up merfest with mermania and thought that it was mermania thay was moving to Florida (mer cons should really start coming up with more original names lol the names are too dang similar! Especially with both having NC in them )

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    I mixed up merfest with mermania and thought that it was mermania thay was moving to Florida (mer cons should really start coming up with more original names lol the names are too dang similar! Especially with both having NC in them )

to be fair, when mermania was founded there were multiple posts from organizers that merfest was done. lol it wasn't done to confuse people, just to move on with a similar feel. I am not 100% convinced merfest will happen, this is the 3rd event christomer has claimed will be happening (remember mexico? lol)and the others didnt. I know caroline was running merfest for this fall and that was cancelled (not included in the 3 as it was a separate venture through her instead) If it does, then that's nice to have another event for people to go to. Perhaps they should consider a new name since it's no longer in NC and people all seem to associate it with NC

Seriously can't wait! It would be awesome to have everything vendors there of some sort, selling mer items and accessories. I definitely think having it later in January is a good Idea lol. Hopefully the snow will be gone so the drive down will be dry

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Dates announced

Follow us online

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Hooray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk