Thread: Archive: "Tail Review by Blue Mermaid"

Archive: "Tail Review by Blue Mermaid"

This is an archived thread that was originally posted on mer.yuku.com, the predecessor to MerNetwork. For more information about mer.yuku.com, click here.

bluemermaid

05/31/11 10:02:11
    Hello everyone!
    I've been getting alot of emails with questions about Mike's tails, so here is my official review. I've tried to answer as many questions as possible here, and hopefully this will help you all with your decisions.

I have a latex tail and a silicone tail by Mike.
    The latex tail has a stiff fluke which propels you through the water nicely. It is easy to swim in. Your feet are inside the fluke even if it doesn't appear that way, they are. The tails look very nice. The fluke is not too heavy to move out of the water. There is no liner, just the latex against your skin. If this bothers you like it does me, you can wear panty hose with it. (It doesn't hurt, I just like a softer feel.) There is no monofin inside, but a custom "foot pocket". The latex has very little stretch to it, so I had him add a secret zipper on the side, hidden in-between the side fin. This was a necessity for me because I have a small waist and large hips. There is no way to get my hips through an opening the size of my waist. If you have a similar body, you should really consider a zipper. Putting this tail on in the water is a breeze, you slide right in. The paint is on there very, very good, but it will come off if you scrape it. But in comparison with other tails I've had, it is very minimal. He will send you some touch up paint with your tail if you ask him. Here is video of this tail:

My silicone tail has a soft fluke, unlike the others with his silicone tails. He made mine differently to give it a flowing appearance. The silicone tail is heavy, very heavy. Due to the difference in how my fluke was made, I can lift the fluke out of the water.� However, this fluke is not made for speed, it's made for looks. The top part of the fluke has some stiffness for propulsion, but the rest of it is floppy silicone. (Other silicone flukes can be made for speed, but you will probably have the trouble with the weight of the fluke, altho in water it is not an issue.)� The tail is really stretchy, and easy to get on. It also does not have a monofin, but a custom built foot pocket. My feet sometimes come out of it and I have to pull the tail up to get them back in. Again, no liner in the tail, just silicone against your skin. The silicone is really soft and does not bother my skin. I have not had any paint come off the tail. I did manage to put a small hole in the tail, and I honestly can't figure out how I did it because the silicone is very thick and strong. I did not need a zipper with this tail because it stretches easily. Here is video of this tail:

I hope this answers everyone's questions. If you still have questions, post them here and I will try to respond. However I am very busy right now so please be patient if I can't answer right away. Alasea
    OrcaMatt

05/31/11 10:08:18
    bluemermaid wrote:
    However, this fluke is not made for speed, it's made for looks.

Ah, 'lowriders'! My tail is like that, as far as I can tell.

CydAdeTol

05/31/11 19:09:44
    Very good review Alasea! Thanks for taking the time to type it all out and give examples!
    SeaMermaid

05/31/11 22:49:13
    Thanks Alasea for the info. I was wondering if the zipper is metal, prone to rusting and if he hides it well? I was thinking about that for my tail but I might put it in my dorsal fin. Also he doesn't put a strap inside to hold your feet inside the foot pocket like a monofin strap? I had no idea he even did zippers so that's a good thing to know beforehand! Has the paint worn thin (faded) on your bottom from sitting in it?
    AlohaMermaid

06/01/11 01:49:45
    Thanks for the beautiful review, Alasea. You, your tails, and your videos are gorgeous!

Aloha SeaMermaid, Mike can make the monofin to your specs -- I requested that he put a strap on his footpocket monofin model, and i worked with him to have a stiff monofin that would propel well in the ocean. The foot strap goes around both my heels and my feet are together inside the foot pocket. He can also put a regular monofin inside the tail for the extra cost of materials, if you'd prefer.
    Littlemelusine

06/01/11 02:44:35
    Well, that was exactly what we all needed :-) spectacular review, thank you so much for that!

I'll be saving up for one of his gorgeous latex tails now for sure!
    SeaMermaid

06/01/11 19:49:21
    Thank you for the info Aloha mermaid. I just wondered if there was a strap to hold your feet inside or if it isn't needed. By all the positive feedback I'm seeing from everyone I think I will be ordering one as soon as he begins taking orders again! I think there's no doubt that he knows what hes doing and he doesn't scam anyone. Sounds like hes true to his work and puts a real effort into each one to make each and every one special exactly the way his customer wants and that's a plus because you just don't find anyone willing to do that anymore. You get your very own one of kind tail it sounds like and that is so wonderful! I look forward to working with him. I already have a design in mind! Thank you everyone
    raina

06/02/11 08:27:19
    thank you, very helpful and insightful.
    MermaidDixie

06/04/11 17:48:18
    Thanks alasea for the helpful info! I know for sure now that I will be ordering from him as soon as he takes orders again! I do have 2 more questions concerning the shipping. Which shipping company does he use? How does he pack the tail and what does he ship it in (flat box like mertailor or a regular large box with bubblewrap or something)?
    bluemermaid

06/11/11 04:13:47
    "I was wondering if the zipper is metal, prone to rusting and if he hides it well?"
    Yes the zipper is metal, but so far, no rusting. It is not at all visible. It is completely hidden between to pieces of fin. I'll try to get a picture.

"Also he doesn't put a strap inside to hold your feet inside the foot pocket like a monofin strap?"
    No because it would be almost impossible to get it on. I actually had him add one to my silicone tail, but it just ended up in the way so took it out. If you ask him to add one, I'm sure he will!

"Which shipping company does he use? How does he pack the tail and what does he ship it in (flat box like mertailor or a regular large box with bubblewrap or something)?"
    I'm not sure because I live very close by and I just go to his shop to pick up my tail. Maybe someone else can answer that one?
    OrcaMatt

06/11/11 08:22:30
    bluemermaid wrote:
    "Which shipping company does he use? How does he pack the tail and what does he ship it in (flat box like mertailor or a regular large box with bubblewrap or something)?"
    I'm not sure because I live very close by and I just go to his shop to pick up my tail. Maybe someone else can answer that one?
    When I bought my tail on eBay it came FedEx in a regular large box with bubble wrap, if that's indicative of his usual practice.

jhammett98

06/11/11 13:55:50

Mine was just in a large box.. but he had powdered it to keep it from sticking...

jhammett98

06/11/11 14:01:56
    Alasea.. The foot strap...

How much of a bother was it?

Mike and I are discussing ways to fix the problems i am having with gettin the tail on...
    a zipper is one idea.. im waiting to hear back from him about it.. i thought a foot strap would also help..

bluemermaid

06/11/11 17:10:51
    Why can't you get it on jhammet? Where is the problem at?

The foot strap on mine was just making my foot pocket to small and hurting my feet, plus it was too difficult to get it around my ankles anyway.

jhammett98

06/12/11 07:36:53
    I lack enough gripping strength to pull the last buit of calf area up all the way...

were thinking of adding a zipper somehow..

maybe if he can from waist to calf area.. not sure itll be possible after hes made it already...

Right now though I am fairly broke and cant even afford to ship it back to him

MermaidDixie

06/12/11 12:05:09
    Thanks for the info guys! Very helpful....I will definitely be ordering from him. I'm glad he's so friendly and willing to help out with any problems I may face like measurement miscalculations. Some tail makers say you get what you get and if measurements are wrong you're out of luck! It's hard to say when doing things over the internet or phone when it comes to things you wear if the measurements are exact or not. You never know until you put it on but I'm glad hes understanding of that and willing to fix it if its not quite right. Alasea do you know when he will be taking orders again because I know hes taking a break right now?

jhammett98

06/12/11 12:19:51
    Mermaid Dixie..
    my problem isnt a measurement miscalc..

Its a physcial imparity I hadnt counted on being an issue. but Yes he is beign very understanding and helpful

bluemermaid

06/13/11 10:00:05
    Did you put it on in the water or out of the water? I found that in the water, it goes on much easier. Otherwise, sounds like a zipper is the only way to go.

jhammett98

06/13/11 16:10:43
    yep.. in pool with olive oil (he said was safe to use) to help it slide... stil no go..

Im still waiting to hear back from him...

Is he still uber busy or just taking time off?

Id really like to get this fixed in time for the WMA's

MermanJesse

06/13/11 16:31:50
    jhammett, try baby oil it is safe on mike's tails as well.

Squirt some directly into the tail. cover your feet in it. Then wiggle yourself in.

jhammett98

06/13/11 18:39:17
    Mike said no for baby oil...

beside olive oil just as slick as baby oil

and i was fully grease from butt to toes.. still not happening...

Trust me.. I tried EVERYTHING! Including haveing 2 lifeguards help tug.. that was as close as we got.. with out me helping tug and knowing how hard they could tug we just couldnt do it...i guess with my curves and hand injury its better to try a zipper.. my hand is not going to get better.. its been 5yrs since the accident.. so its as good as its gonna get...

No worries.. I have complete faith in mike coming up with a solution