Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway: Mer Edition.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Project Runway: Mer Edition.

Hey guys so after a small discussion with Coradion in another thread about ways to boost community creativity we came up with this Fintastic idea to have a sort of Project Runway but with mer tails.

Itll just be mostly designs by mers and there would be challenges just like on the show.
    Example: create a tail using unconventional objects you would find at a grocery store
    example 2: create a tail inspired by trash found on the ocean.
    example 3: create a tail inspired by wedding dresses

and so on and so forth. Each challenge will last for about a week to give participants time to come up with a sketch and colour them in.

Disclaimer: If you're uncomfortable with putting up your own original designs you can feel free to pass the challenge. If you're ok with sharing your designs knowing they might be recreated by a tail maker and you don't mind or care, then this challenge is for you! Tailmakers who choose to use posted tail designs is responsible and required to credit the designer. (Which shouldn't be a problem yeah?)

Challenge 1) well because it was listed as an example and was the first that came to mind, this challenge is to create a tail inspired by unconventional objects and or food items you would find at a grocery store.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  142.8 KB

Obviously this one wont be reproduced (because who the hell is gonna swim in THIS thing? LOL)

For this tail i started off thinking i was going to do a fruit basket like tail (which is why the bra has bananas, the netting to put fruit in, and grapes. the individual grapes strung together are supposed to look like pearls.

Then i was stuck with the tail because i didnt want to make an oversized banana tail. But then i started going around my kitchen and finding things i bought at No frills.
    Coffee paper for the coffee machine, a plastic betty crocker spatula, and a metal spatula.

so then i just started placing the end handles of the red spatula to make the "boning" of the fins. the metal spatula i figured i could make the "scales". and the Coffee paper could make the wavy part of the fins.
    The result ended up looking like a sort of lobster :P
    Last edited by SeaGlass Siren; 03-17-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Mer Kelde and I are almost finished withour first recycled materials tail actually!

YAY!! i can't wait to see it
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    This is so cool!

I hope more mers participate in this ^^'
    The SeaGlass Siren

PLEASE
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Hmmm. I am mentally walking through my local grocery, thinking of what to put together...

Follow MerChemi on Tumblr
    OOH COUNT ME IN THIS LOOKS LIKE FUN!

I'm gonna post the new challenge on Friday can't wait to see yours chemi!
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Is it to be a wearable tail or a mini model of it for a Barbie doll?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Just a sketch will suffice
    The SeaGlass Siren

Name:  pineapple merman + plastic bag mermaid.png
Views: 741
Size:  800.3 KB

Hopefully the picture isn't too big

Ok so I got a little carried away, but I want more practice drawing different body shapes and faces and stuff.
    Both of these were pencil sketches which I took photos of, then coloured digitally.

Pineapple merman:
    Obviously inspired by pineapples, especially cos the texture of the fruit sort of looks scaly? And the bright colours are always fun to work with. He's got a spiky dorsal fin and a fluke which is meant to look like the leaves of the pineapple, then I just gave him a green mohawk because why not. Now that I think about it, he'd probably chill in the tropics and I'm not sure why I gave him such a dark deep-sea background.

Plastic bag mermaid:
    I thought it was ironic because this mermaid just made a top and tail out of all the plastic bags which are thrown into the sea as pollution. It also sort of ties in with example 2 (I hope that wasn't going to be one of the future challenges). The top and tail are multiple plastic bags tied and weaved together (it's not that obvious oops). Her fluke is actually just lots of plastic bags joined at the bottom, and the handles create a cool scalloped edge. I'm 99% sure a fluke made out of plastic bags would not look like that in real life, but I can dream.

Wow I really love the plastic bag one! Granted the ocean pollution will probably be another challenge but there's so many things you can do that I'm not worried about it :P
    The SeaGlass Siren

This weeks challenge is the wedding inspired mermaid tail!!
    Create a tail inspired by wedding dresses, wedding cakes, wedding photography, etcetera you get the idea! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!!
    The SeaGlass Siren

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    This weeks challenge is the wedding inspired mermaid tail!!
    Create a tail inspired by wedding dresses, wedding cakes, wedding photography, etcetera you get the idea! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!!
    My calling

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    Wow I really love the plastic bag one! Granted the ocean pollution will probably be another challenge but there's so many things you can do that I'm not worried about it :P
    Aaa thank you so much!

Momo I can't wait to see yours 0-0
    The SeaGlass Siren

Still working on my wedding tail design.
    The SeaGlass Siren