Thread: Children's Hospital Gig?

Children's Hospital Gig?

I've been doing a lot of cold-calling and sending out my press kits pretty much all over the Orlando area. I've been getting some good responses, and I'd like some feedback from mers who have done it in the past:

What is okay/not okay to do at a children's hospital? What would you recommend that I do to entertain?

When contacted, I told them that I can read stories, do meet and greets/photos, and arts and crafts. Anything else?

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Each hospital is different. I find most would prefer you wear a shirt. lol. I have worn a sun dress with my tail whenever Ive done hospital visits.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania
    Add Mermaid Stardust on Facebook
    The hospitals I have been to don't allow any glitter (you wearing it or for crafts) as it gets in the children's wounds. Check with your hospital first. They usually have a number of health & safety rules.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    I would love to do a visit like this, how did you start, who did you contact, if you did do this how did it go, what did you do-were you in one place for a general meet/greet or travel somehow and visit rooms?
    ALSO I'm concerned kids are going to feel left out if they can't visit or if I can't come in, suggestions for an (over) eager mer?Thanks!
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

Wheel cheer or something-like this.

Sent from My Shell Phone

Mermaid * Auquita

I did a hospital event in October and a few before that, but October was different. I didn't travel to the rooms at all. I stayed on the first floor in the children's library area and greeted the kids that came down. They did activities downstairs then got to pick one toy (donated by a company. toys are expensive. partner with a company if you can)
    some tips:
    -don't ask " how are you feeling" or "get well soon" you don't know every kids condition and if they will improve or have permanent issues.
    -check out the room or what they are wearing to make a connection. they have a paw patrol balloon? ask about it. maybe mention you've seen dogs on the beach.
    -give out toys if you can. With one group, we had a travel container full of toys for all ages and they loved it.
    -Don't expect smiles or get discouraged when they don't react. Many of the kids are very upset and depressed. Sometimes its because they have to wear a mask for their walk in the hall or hate their shaved head. just stay sweet and positive. distract them from their current environment.

I thought i made a thread for this? Can't find it, but happy to help out with questions or ideas!
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

I know it can't be easy in such an environment but at the very least you probably put a smile on some of their faces and gave them a story to share with their friends.