Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting my first painted neoprene tail - Advice needed

Wow! Your drawings are stunning. I'm following this!
    Did you use coloured pencil for them?
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Yeah, they're coloured pencil. Spent probably way longer on them than was necessary but I've not done any drawing for ages so I was having fun .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paint test!

Name:  IMG_3182-2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  745.5 KB

That looks great! I'm painting a tail at the moment too - what type of paint are you using?
    Edit: found it on the other page! How well do they hold up to any fabric stretch?
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

They sink right into the fabric and bleed quite a bit if they are watered down even slightly, almost like dyes. I'm still waiting for them to dry completely, but I have given it a good stretch and it doesn't seem to change or crack anywhere. If I run into any problems once dry I will paint the actual tail with the neoprene stretched over a dummy. Seems promising though.

Those colors look great, honestly thought the photo was of a digitally draw picture. You're a very talented painted

Mermaid Rachel
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidRachelNola
    @mermaidrachelnola

Oh my gosh that is stunning!
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Such pretty colors! I wish I had your skills with painting/colors, but I've never really tried it before. I can't wait to see what it will look like when it's finished!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid_Sarina's Avatar

Follow Mermaid_Sarina on Tumblr
    The designs and colours look amazing! I can't wait to see how your tail turns out! <3
    Sarina Dreamtide

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kait's Avatar
    Oh wow I can't believe I've only just come accross your page.
    You're so talented, those sketches are gorgeous
    Can't wait to see your progress!
    Mermaid Kait

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    Woooahhhh! The blending is PHENOMENAL!! If that's a test swatch, I'm going to be blown away when you finish your tail!
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

QUICK UPDATE: Ran into a few problems with the construction.....

Problem 1:
    Sewing machine broke but has now been fixed. It goes through the neoprene like it's just normal fabric .

Problem 2:
    Made a pattern, cut out the neoprene, stitched together the sides.... and it's waaaay too big. There are lots of wrinkles at the side seams :/. I've taken it in a bit but still needs quite a bit of adjustment! Particularly around the bum, ankles and fluke :S.

Problem 3:
    My plan was to sew zips into the inside of the fluke to allow the monofin to be removed when it needs to be, but it looks like the stitching is going to show through pretty badly. Hope I can disguise it a bit with the paint job!

Problem 4:
    As the fluke is much longer than the fin and the neoprene is pretty soft, it's going to dangle off it in a bit of a weird way when it's out of water. I've not found a decent way of stiffening it yet. Hopefully it'll look ok when it swims. Please, please, please!

I seems I have lots of learning to do! Much respect for all you tailmakers out there!

Junior Member Pod of Cali Midakwe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaslet View Post
    QUICK UPDATE: Ran into a few problems with the construction.....

Problem 1:
    Sewing machine broke but has now been fixed. It goes through the neoprene like it's just normal fabric .

Problem 2:
    Made a pattern, cut out the neoprene, stitched together the sides.... and it's waaaay too big. There are lots of wrinkles at the side seams :/. I've taken it in a bit but still needs quite a bit of adjustment! Particularly around the bum, ankles and fluke :S.

Problem 3:
    My plan was to sew zips into the inside of the fluke to allow the monofin to be removed when it needs to be, but it looks like the stitching is going to show through pretty badly. Hope I can disguise it a bit with the paint job!

Problem 4:
    As the fluke is much longer than the fin and the neoprene is pretty soft, it's going to dangle off it in a bit of a weird way when it's out of water. I've not found a decent way of stiffening it yet. Hopefully it'll look ok when it swims. Please, please, please!

I seems I have lots of learning to do! Much respect for all you tailmakers out there!
    I can't wait to see more progress! The sketches and test paint all look amazing!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali mermaidopal's Avatar
    Follow mermaidopal On Twitter Add mermaidopal on Facebook
    The sketching and painting is seriously AMAZING. I'm not sure if I would ever have enough patience to paint in such great detail, but I agree with everyone else in that I seriously can't wait to see how it goes, this is just breathtaking and makes me want to make a neoprene tail!

Hey all,

Photo update! It's now stitched together and fits ok (I think), and all the scales are blocked in. Starting on the fluke tomorrow!

Here's the mono and the cut neoprene.
    Name:  IMG_3277-2.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  504.5 KB

Starting to paint the nearly 1800 or so scales :0. It was at about this point I realised I have started something that is waaaay to ambitious to be finished in time for the dive show.
    Name:  IMG_3287-2.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  696.0 KB

Here's the front so far...
    Name:  IMG_3300-2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  559.7 KB

and here's the back...
    Name:  IMG_3290-2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  567.0 KB

The plan is to get it all looking reasonable in time for the show on the 23rd and 24th so I can swim test it in the tank. If the fluke is done in time I think it'll be ok. Extra bits, like highlights on the scales and the little fins I wanted to have on there will have to be added later on.

Still lots to do but pleased so far . Hope you like.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid_Sarina's Avatar

Follow Mermaid_Sarina on Tumblr
    😍😍😍😍 IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk
    Sarina Dreamtide

This is unbelievably amazing! I'm doing a painted tail too and now I wish I don't even more detail. Your work is gorgeous!
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

That is amazing!! I am in awe of your talent.

STUNNING!