Thread: weight fluctuations and silicone tails

weight fluctuations and silicone tails

I was wondering if anyone has experience with weight fluctuations and silicone tails (like merbellas/finfolk/mertailor). How much "wiggle room" do silicone tails usually have? How many inches gained or lost from the original measurements before it is not wearable? For example, is going up or down a couple inches in waist size a problem? Thanks!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yes I have. And honestly everyone touts that silicone stretches and will accommodate, as someone who owns 5 and has been around all the major tails at conventions etc... I say BS on that.

When silicone stretches, it puts stress on seams and waistlines, which can cause tearing and ripping. it's also super tight which can hurt your body.

A fluctuation of 5lbs isn't a big deal, but 10, 15, 20? It can be awful.

I am currently coping with an unexplained weight gain and have been using every power including professional help to try and fit back in my tails, and recently at a gig my waist line popped from being too tight. Honestly, it's a shitty feeling.

People will tell you it'll stretch, but that doesn't mean it's comfortable, easy to use, or practical. Cured silicone with the hardness used in tails can only stretch so much.

My suggestion is to have tails made with a little wiggle room. I have had both a loose fitting tail, a perfectly fitting tail, and a skin tight tail. I much prefer the loose. if it's too lose you can wear tights under it for a better fit. And it's easier to get off and on and overall more comfortable.

My silicone neoprin from mertailor has lasted me an entire year with SEVERE weight fluctuations. I agree with Raina, have some wiggle room. That's what I did with that tail and it still fits, and I've grown taller, wider, and thinner again. Still fits, it's fairly comfortable (seams tho) and I can slip in and out of it in a matter of minutes.
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

yeah the thing with mertailor's neoprin is that neoprin continuously stretches. it will stretch until it erodes. it's not like neoprene that once stretched out keeps that shape.

I've put on 15 lbs after making my silicone tail (ouch) and it's not exactly comfortable anymore, but it still fits. Any more, though, and I'll have to make a new one (or lose weight...but I know how likely that is at this point...)
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    yeah the thing with mertailor's neoprin is that neoprin continuously stretches. it will stretch until it erodes. it's not like neoprene that once stretched out keeps that shape.
    exactly. that's why it has been pretty nice for the past year, but it's getting time to start retiring her.
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

My tail was very snug to begin with (in a good way) and then I gained 20lbs due to another chronic illness that sprouted up. Apparently with that condition it's common for people to gain weight out of nowhere, and also to bloat like crazy at times. (Like to the point where doctors have asked me when I'm due or how far along I am when I'm not pregnant.)

It takes more work to get into my tail, but it still fits pretty well! The only big issue with me is getting it up over my hips/butt is a lot harder, and pulling it up all the way is really hard. Plus the extra junk in my trunk takes up more of the length of the tail than it did before, so it can ride pretty low. And since it's tight it squeezes my extra pudge and can be really unflattering (more so for dry shoots) unless I'm in the right poses. You'll notice a lot of my dry sitting up photos I have my arm strategically placed across my waist to cover the silicone squeeze muffin top effect. I'm about to give in and get a scarf or something to tie around my waist even though I really was trying to avoid that.

I haven't encountered any wear on the seams or any rips/tears so far. Then again I don't have a high waist and/or blended waist on my tail like Raina does on hers, and I don't wear my tail nearly as much as she does. (Not even close right now, she's out doing gigs, what 5-8+ times a week every week?) So that probably has a great deal to do with it.

And it also depends on how thick the tail is and what shore hardness the silicone is, as to how it much it will stretch. Even if you do get a high waist and then gain weight and it becomes uncomforatable, you can trim the tail down if you need to. I know at least one mer who has done that with her silicone tail.

So yeah! I'm no expert, but that's my input

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

My weight is pretty stable but I'm curious about the ability to wear swimsuit material or 2-3 mm neoprene leggings under my tail when I'm swimming in cold waters... I'm designing my silicone tail now so how would I factor this into the sizing measurements?
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Personally I believe you should. if it's too tight you'll find you have to lube up the material to get it on and it can make it such a hassle. You wouldnt have to make it that much bigger, I just suggest not going skin tight.

Thank you so much for the help and input! I really appreciate it.

What about losing weight in a tail?

Some tail companies (I know MerNation does this) make "gap wraps" that fill in the extra space around your midsection to make your tail fit better. However, sometimes, if you lose too much weight, you might either need to re-fit your tail all over again, or just get a new tail. Mermaid Nerine had to make her tail all over again.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

I go up and down about 10-15 lbs, especially if I'm getting ready for a competition. My Kariel tail has been able to accommodate me, but it doesn't look as nice when I'm bulging out of it. If you are losing and the tail is bigger you can wear leggings in it and it won't fall off. If you are expecting to get bigger a higher waist has helped me be more comfortable.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Ya I plan on getting a higher waist just in case. But I am dieting and working out so I expect to lose at lease a few pounds but I think if it becomes a lot I can get leggings or resize it. I love the waist wrap tho!

I have a MerNation tail. When I got it I was around 173 maybe, I dropped down to 152 or so and had no issues at all. Still fit snug, (and took forever to get in LOL. I unfortunate jumped back up to 198, and it still fit. No tearing, no holes, no nothing. MerNation us know for their silicon thickness. The tail still looks brand new. I am back down to 173ish. I think it all depends on the person and the tail. I gain all my weight in my butt and thighs usually, but have never had an issue with the tail.

Junior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Ripple's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Ripple on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Ripple on Tumblr Visit Mermaid Ripple's Youtube Channel
    I have a finfolk tail and I was 20lbs lighter when I measured for it. It still fits me but my muffin top is significant and I have had to resort to a cover of sorts. I use a belly dancing tie, with the coins on it? sorta like a sash! I feel like it adds to the mermaid persona but at the same time I hate that I have to have it in order to feel comfortable.

I would also like to point out that my tail already sat too low for my comfort when I got it.. there was a slight measurement problem, but I'll live haha. However, the added junk in the trunk does not help this situation at all! Currently trying to get healthier and more fit but the chronic illness and stress make it incredibly hard.. especially as a full time student :c
    Find me on:
    FB: www.facebook.com/mermaidripple
    Instagram: @ripplethemermaid
    Tumblr: mermaid-ripple
    Formerly known as BabyDot