Thread: I'm moving to Maryland! Good places to swim?

I'm moving to Maryland! Good places to swim?

I just accepted an offer to join a master's program at UMD College Park, so my bf and I will be moving to the area this summer, probably sometime in July. I'm really excited to meet new people and hopefully meetup to swim, since there's not really a mer population where I am right now! Anyone know which pools/swimming holes in the area are best for tail swimming?

Junior Member Pod of Cali Morgana1999's Avatar

Follow Morgana1999 on Tumblr
    I'm not sure if you've already found a spot (I see tht this was posted quite some time ago!) but the Northern Arundel Aquatic Center is where I go

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod
    I see this has been recently bumped and I'd like to know more as well. What pools in the area allow tails?

I have been eyeing tails for years but I'm a curvy woman and had reservations. I recently went to the mer con in Virginia and decided I'm going to take the plunge so to speak. I have a pool in my back yard but it won't be warm enough to swim in for a couple of months. Are there pools in the area where I can get started? Is it usually a problem? Maybe I can convince my gym?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod swordwhale's Avatar
    Follow swordwhale On Twitter Add swordwhale on Facebook
    Follow swordwhale on Tumblr Visit swordwhale's Youtube Channel
    I don't know about pools in the area, but here I will tout the wonders of some of Maryland's natural waters (to mermaid in, or to get some awesome beach shots)...

and PS, mermaiding is for all sizes, ages, shapes, colors genders whatever...

I plan to pack the tail in my kayak this summer and shanghai my kayaking buddies into taking mermaid shots...

On the east side of the bay: the Sassafras River is awesome, especially mid-July to mid-August when the native American lotus bloom in the shallows. Launch from Turner's Creek Park (free for cartop boats) and paddle around the backwaters, or up along the river shore to the tidal pond (perfect shallows for doing a photoshoot). Sandy shores, wildlife, calm along the edges and backwaters.

Rock Hall MD is a tiny town with a tiny beach, but easy to wade out and mermaid in the shallows with their gently sloping sandy bottom. Great sunsets over the bay. Rocks (breakwaters) you could haul out on for photos. Not crowded, and you'd amuse the locals.

Betterton is a larger state park beach, but I have no idea what their regs are.

Eastern Neck Island National Wildlife Refuge has all kinds of trails leading out to Bay beaches. At Bogle's Wharf you can launch straight into the Chester River with its sandy beaches, or on the other side, launch into the Bay (Ingleside). Potential above water photoshoots (below water is a bit murky. Bogle's has nice piers and a tiny sand beach. If you can kayak, there are secluded beaches a few minutes paddle from either put-in.

And if you have not been to Assateague island, you should take a few days to camp on the MD end, and get mermaid shots on the beach. Stow your food in your car or the wild ponies will eat it...

Name:  dscn8122_1_orig.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  135.6 KB

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod swordwhale's Avatar
    Follow swordwhale On Twitter Add swordwhale on Facebook
    Follow swordwhale on Tumblr Visit swordwhale's Youtube Channel
    Some pics I took last year on the Sassafras...\

https://www.swordwhale.com/sassafras-river-2018.html