Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clichés

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    I would like to see mers who are vegans. :-)
    me too!
    And I got the impression that the majority of movie and TV mers at least are into eating a lot of sealife.
    They even forced Daryl Hannah (who is vegan) to eat that lobster in Splash...

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kait's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMansa View Post
    -Queen of the seas. We usually get the Poseidon/Neptune/triton expy character or they are usually mentioned. We don't really ever get a sea Queen.
    Yes yes yes, this would be cool
    Mermaid Kait

Quote Originally Posted by Kait View Post

We are actually going to have one of the characters end up being Queen of the pod and lake at the end of the first season, because the pod vanished and there's only two merpeople left.
    Every body of water, pod, or territory in the ocean will have a queen. The one doesn't because of a curse that slowly wiped them all out.

I'm intrigued!
    Mermaid Kait

I'm intrigued!

The character that's family is involved in the curse is our merman, only friend to the character I'm playing.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    I would like to see mers who are vegans. :-)
    The mermaids in that Thai tv series were vegans. They only ate seaweed.
    Formerly known as ireneho

How about a mermaid who makes her living as a performer at kids parties. She has to turn human every time she goes to or leaves a gig or someone might catch on. She would need a tail she never uses. Smart kids would see the difference between the real and fake tail.
    H.P. Lovecraft “You fool, Warren is DEAD!”

I asked my boyfriend to be part of it. He said yes! (Only because I'm going to base his tail off the Mantis Shrimp lol )
    So excited to get this started! So many awesome things are happening to me this year! Now the only thing that needs work on is motivation!
    I also got a waterproof camera called Pro Air. It was originally $150 or more at our local Walmart. We only had to pay $20
    Last edited by Mermaid of Orbegon Lake; 05-08-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid of Orbegon Lake View Post
    I also got a waterproof camera called Pro Air. It was originally $150 or more at our local Walmart. We only had to pay $20
    What a bargain
    Mermaid Kait

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMansa View Post
    Things I am tired of seeing:
    Mermaids being able to speak to animals. Now I don't really have an issue with this, but its that the animals can understand the mermaids...when they are speaking plain English. By that logic, shouldn't animals be able to understand humans?

Things I would like to see:
    - Mermaid language. Mermaids speaking English right from the start bothers me (I am sorry, I am a writer and I usually try and go for some realism). I would prefer it if the mermaids had their own language (you could edit dolphin noises or whale songs or even sonars for example) and have the mermaids learn to "speak human" which could lead to some comedic episodes where they get into mishaps because they misunderstand things. They could be telepathic though which could also have some cool storylines.
    Hmm.... I could actually see how mermaids would speak English (or the native tongue of whatever landmass they border), as if they can turn human, I could see them going ashore from time to time to trade with clueless locals who have no idea what they are.
    For having their own language, wouldn't it be cool if they could also speak dolphin, orca, and whale dialects? Thus "talking to animals" in a realistic fashion that is very believable.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

What a bargain

I know! We got two of them. I practically forced my mom to drive to town to pick one up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziara View Post
    Hmm.... I could actually see how mermaids would speak English (or the native tongue of whatever landmass they border), as if they can turn human, I could see them going ashore from time to time to trade with clueless locals who have no idea what they are.
    For having their own language, wouldn't it be cool if they could also speak dolphin, orca, and whale dialects? Thus "talking to animals" in a realistic fashion that is very believable.

Im having one of the characters be able to speak to animals, because every mer has a special ability. The one character can't speak English to the animals (well she can, but they won't understand.) She can communicate telepathically in a way, like how cats talk to one another and animals that don't make sounds. It's a bit confusing to put in words, it makes for sense in my mind

I’ve had to scrap old ideas and put any mermaid productions on hold since last summer was not a very good one for me and my family. This summer I’m shooting for being able to film at least a season.

I have a good program for special effects (I’m learning so it will probably not be super good haha)
    There will be no humans turning into mermaids
    The series will revolve around a pod of mermaids and some visiting sirens who don’t speak English.
    I have a few friends and relatives who are willing to do this with me. Gladly I have them. I do want diversity with different races or such, but there’s not a lot up different types of people this both, and if there is they have no interest in this stuff sadly. On the bright side not everyone will be the same body type.
    I will be filming at an actual lake. The lake is actually a mining pit and it’s super clear and blue.

Name:  424FF381-D26D-48BD-BF15-900C2EB1CCE1.png
Views: 300
Size:  246.4 KB
    Name:  94AC27CF-67A1-4E25-98FB-CBFC42DFFFEF.png
Views: 296
Size:  494.4 KB
    this lake is my child. I love it. I just really hope this works out and I can get things rolling. If anyone has any ideas and such let me know.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    I’ve had to scrap old ideas and put any mermaid productions on hold since last summer was not a very good one for me and my family. This summer I’m shooting for being able to film at least a season.

I have a good program for special effects (I’m learning so it will probably not be super good haha)
    There will be no humans turning into mermaids
    The series will revolve around a pod of mermaids and some visiting sirens who don’t speak English.
    I have a few friends and relatives who are willing to do this with me. Gladly I have them. I do want diversity with different races or such, but there’s not a lot up different types of people this both, and if there is they have no interest in this stuff sadly. On the bright side not everyone will be the same body type.
    I will be filming at an actual lake. The lake is actually a mining pit and it’s super clear and blue.

Name:  424FF381-D26D-48BD-BF15-900C2EB1CCE1.png
Views: 300
Size:  246.4 KB
    Name:  94AC27CF-67A1-4E25-98FB-CBFC42DFFFEF.png
Views: 296
Size:  494.4 KB
    this lake is my child. I love it. I just really hope this works out and I can get things rolling. If anyone has any ideas and such let me know.
    Very cool!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Holly View Post
    Very cool!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Thanks. I'm having trouble coming up with some plot ideas though.

Thanks. I'm having trouble coming up with some plot ideas though.
    Hi Mool! There's a Writers' Guild thread here if some earlier discussion would help I also recommend the books from Writers Digest.

All the best! I admit to struggling with plot myself, and published stuff sometimes isn't much better. You're in good company
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Hi Mool! There's a Writers' Guild thread here if some earlier discussion would help I also recommend the books from Writers Digest.

All the best! I admit to struggling with plot myself, and published stuff sometimes isn't much better. You're in good company
    Thank you for the help. I'll look into that.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Poseidon had a wife....
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Let us all know what the series is called when you get going!
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Hi Mool! I'm really sorry I'm so late on this, but I agree with everything that everyone already said, especially having many different and diverse mermaids and mermen. Merfolk body image is something I've been thinking a lot about lately, because in most media, mermaids are slender and have tiny waistlines, and mermen are ripped with giant pecs and abs. To me, this repeated imagery could create some negative feelings in people who want to be mermaids or mermen, feeling like they have to starve themselves or work out until they pass out to look the part. (I know I've been dealing with this lately.) So having many different people who all look different would help to show that everyone can be a mermaid or merman, and it doesn't matter what you look like.
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.