Thread: making a 3D scaled tail: neoprene and puffy paint

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

making a 3D scaled tail: neoprene and puffy paint

hello. I don't know if anyone else will find this useful, but I thought I would share how I created my blue tail. I really wanted something with 3D scales but have no space/money for silicon. After some research and a good deal of test swatches I settled on making the main body of my tail out of neoprene and puffy paint (the fluke is spandex and I have a band of power-mesh around the top due to the design of the tail).

I have taken this tail out and about on dry land in my wheelchair (that I desperately need to decorate). and I have had it in tubs. I have not yet gone swimming, but it has held up fine thus far.

I ordered my neoprene from "Seattle Fabrics". The all other supplies came from Jo-Anns. My mono fin is the "fin-Fun" by Finis.

{because I want everyone to have the credit they deserve I got the idea to use puffy paint from this mermaid here: http://blog.erinstblaine.com/2013/07...g-mermaid.html
    the techniques I developed and the construction are my own.
    The tail was for a cosplay of Fem! Mermaid Haru. The original character belongs to "Free!". The gender bent design belongs to me}
    Last edited by Mermaid Mia; 04-22-2016 at 02:38 AM.