View Poll Results: Solid Color or Multi-Color?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Solid color. It's cheaper and will be just fine.

1 4.76%
  • Solid color. It's your first tail, who cares?

0 0%
  • Multi-Color: It will look better, even if its more expensive

15 71.43%
  • Spend the money on another tailmaker, you get multi-colors for the same price else where

5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mernation Tail Color (POLL)

Mernation Tail Color (POLL)

So I have finally decided to buck up start saving for a tail, like I kept telling myself to for literally years. I plan on having my tail for spring of next year and am 100% convinced on getting a mernation tail. My question to you all is this:
    Should I save up extra for the specific colors and shading, or should I just go with one uniform color. I am not too...into the one solid color (i mean, I'm sure it could work, sure). One part of me is saying: the more it costs, the more you have to save! And another part is saying: Its your first tail! Who cares!!? It'll be awesome anyway.

I know this is pointless...but what do you guys think? Does anyone have a solid color mernation tail? Do you wish you had gotten more colors or shades?
    I am also aware that some other tail makers sells tails for around the same price as mernation with multiple colors and shades already included.
    Up From The Sea, We Rise
    Up To The World Of Skies
    There's Never Been, Not Ever Before
    A Child Born of Sea & Shore

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    I think it would depend on how much the extras are and how long and often you plan on using the tail. You want to be proud of it when you're photographed in it.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I chose Spend elsewhere, mainly because the popular tail makers don't have a smaller sized fluke. They're so big and heavy! The one I plan to have in the future, is by MerrowFins. I've seen his work and know that he can make tails with smaller sized flukes.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I have a single colour mernation tail, it's awesome, I absolutely love it it's my first full silicone tail too and having seen other silicone tails I must say that mernation is one of the best

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What was it about Mernation tails that made you pick them? Just wondering because if it's part of the criteria that's REALLY important to you, then I'd suggest saving longer for what you want.

I chose multi-color because tails are expensive so who knows how long it will be before you get your next one. I really want to go with mernation too when I am able to save up the funds. The one color option while cheaper doesn't look nearly as realistic as the multi-color and if I'm spending that much money on it I want the whole experience. Why not just save up the extra funds and get what you truly want? It might take a little longer to save up the funds but you won't still be trying to save up for your dream tail after you've already spent so much money on your first one.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    My thoughts were, if I go for another tail maker, while cheaper, it could be a year or more to get my tail after saving up enough to pay for it in full. Meanwhile if I spent a few extra months saving up for multicolored from MerNation I could be swimming in said Tail a month or less after ordering it.

I reviewed, read the forums, tried emailing tail makers, talked to other people and basically researched like crazy and I think what made me pick was the wait time. I saved up, ordered the tail, and within a month was wearing it. That was in December. There are still people who were waiting years for the others that yo this day have not received their tail. I gave been swimming for months. There is not a nick, scratch, tear, blemish on this gorgeous tail. It's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lily_Pad View Post
    My thoughts were, if I go for another tail maker, while cheaper, it could be a year or more to get my tail after saving up enough to pay for it in full. Meanwhile if I spent a few extra months saving up for multicolored from MerNation I could be swimming in said Tail a month or less after ordering it.

I reviewed, read the forums, tried emailing tail makers, talked to other people and basically researched like crazy and I think what made me pick was the wait time. I saved up, ordered the tail, and within a month was wearing it. That was in December. There are still people who were waiting years for the others that yo this day have not received their tail. I gave been swimming for months. There is not a nick, scratch, tear, blemish on this gorgeous tail. It's perfect.

I just have to say that your tail is absolutely lovely! Love the colors! Your review is also super helpful and informative!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    I love my MerNation tail! I say, go with MerNation and save up for the colors that you want. Why you ask? Well, because I've had my single color tail for a year and I am thinking about ordering a custom tail this time. Here is a review of my tail after one year :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j693TmwAvrc

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

Quote Originally Posted by Calizaire View Post
    What was it about Mernation tails that made you pick them? Just wondering because if it's part of the criteria that's REALLY important to you, then I'd suggest saving longer for what you want.
    I loved their flukes and they are a bit cheaper than the rest. I am very picky when it come to flukes, but I really love their rounded fluke. Its the only one I have never had to really question. Other than that, I don't really require much in a tail other than cheap-ness and a nice fluke. The color is just something I don't wish to make a decision on then regret later. I would prefer a little shading on a blue tail, but if it saves me another 1000 dollars, I am fine with it not having any shading...but at the same time I just don't know.
    Up From The Sea, We Rise
    Up To The World Of Skies

Mernation is a good bet. I like how durable my tail is and it looks stunning. The customer service is also really good and they work really hard to make you happy. I went with multi color but i guess depending on the color a single color would look ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMansa View Post
    I loved their flukes and they are a bit cheaper than the rest. I am very picky when it come to flukes, but I really love their rounded fluke. Its the only one I have never had to really question. Other than that, I don't really require much in a tail other than cheap-ness and a nice fluke. The color is just something I don't wish to make a decision on then regret later. I would prefer a little shading on a blue tail, but if it saves me another 1000 dollars, I am fine with it not having any shading...but at the same time I just don't know.
    That's kind of what I was guessing; their flukes are really unique. In that case, I'd say go with them. As to colors, what is the price difference between single color and multiple color? Is it significant?
    The nice thing about Mernation is once you save up for it; you'll have it pretty quickly. Waaaaaay quicker than pretty much any other maker.

Senior Member Pod of Cali introverting's Avatar
    Add introverting on Facebook
    Follow introverting on Tumblr Visit introverting's Youtube Channel
    If you go with a one color tail, choose a metallic color, or you should consider adding some iridescence/glitter/color-shifting tones to put some dimension to it. I dunno if the iridescence/color-shifting would count as multicolor tho.

Take the iridescence of an abalone shell, for example. I've thought about drawing out an abalone-inspired tail design before, especially with the stripes/ridges.

Another good iridescent color combo:
    (Well, a good color combo in general)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    do whatever you wanna do. it helps me to write out the price differences. what is the $ difference? is it worth it?

I think the first question here should be whether you have used a tail or a monofin before. If not, please PLEASE start practicing with a monofin and work your way up to a fabric tail- then silicone later.

If you are used to swimming with a monofin (and a fabric or neoprene tail), then I do highly suggest MerNation- for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. The customer service is out of this world, the craftsmanship is incredible, and they really go out of their way to please their customers. If it is going to be your first silicone tail, make it count. Make sure you LOVE what you are buying. Heck, add the extra fins, colors, and designs- because it is your dream tail. People don't really buy silicone tails as practice tails- they are a very expensive purchase, and you are going to want the most out of your money. Take your time, talk to them, get an idea of what you might want, THEN commit to buying.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Calizaire View Post
    That's kind of what I was guessing; their flukes are really unique. In that case, I'd say go with them. As to colors, what is the price difference between single color and multiple color? Is it significant?
    The nice thing about Mernation is once you save up for it; you'll have it pretty quickly. Waaaaaay quicker than pretty much any other maker.
    The price of the multi-color tail is 2,500, while the single color is 1,700. So about an 800 dollar difference. I guess its not so bad when you really think about it.... Hmm.. I think I might just go and save the 800 dollars and really be able to get a "Dream tail" then, since that seems to be the popular opinion here and its not that huge of a difference.
    Up From The Sea, We Rise
    Up To The World Of Skies

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Summerlilly's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Summerlilly On Twitter
    Even so, a fabric tail itself is a lot different from a monofin on it's own. So make sure that you're confident and have worked your way up to silicone. I'm still working on it. (And still saving.) :P
    beep boop get some soup

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I went from dolphin kicking with normal flippers, to getting a Mahina, to buying my silicon. I picked it up really quick though, and found it very easy to maneuver, even with the tail weighing about 45 pounds.

Also, you can download one if their tail designs and color it to what you want and show it to them to get an estimate on how much it might cost. My tail has at least 3 colors, plus the heel fins, and a top and cost me around $2800. My fluke painting took awhile because of the fade. It's also got a lot of shine to it.

MerNation is very, very, good with talking you through the process and working with you. Starting up a conversation with them via FB might help you out.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Mernation is discontinuing their fabric tails, so they are all on sale right now. The fabric tails comes with monofin inside. But their monofins is not sold separately from the tails.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Member Chesapeake Pod Tom Cardwell's Avatar
    I've had my mernation tail for over a year now.
    $3,400 for mine. I'm glad I didn't skimp on it and say what if. If you can stretch the extra mile for multiple color, do it.