Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting a Mahina Merfin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Painting a Mahina Merfin

Hi merfolks!

I'm just about to embark on a tail journey. I have a spandex tail that I made, but I am going to make a neoprene sequin tail with a Mahina merfin. I was just wondering how successful I'd be if I painted the merfin itself, and what kind of paint I should use for the best results.

Thanks for the help!
    "Come all ye pretty, fair maids, whomever you may be,Who love a jolly sailor bold that plows the raging sea. My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold. There is nothing can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    - PotC4

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Oil paint. Or Spray Paint. The kind naughty kids use to deface walls and local train stations.

For it to stick properly, you have to lightly sand the merfin, then wash and dry it. This way, when you paint it on the rubber surface, the oil paint has something to grip to. Just like the canvas you buy at the art supply shops, have a gritty, rough kind of surface.

You can paint directly onto it without sanding, but that might make the paint slippery and harder for the color to take.

You can buy oil paints that have a faster drying time. Otherwise you have to let the paint cure for a few weeks.

Both types are removable with a soft cloth and dabs of turpentine. I'm not sure of whether it'll break down the rubber monofin or not. If you wash it with soap and water, thoroughly after doing so, I think it should be fine.

Don't use acrylic because that's mainly for porous surfaces, like paper and art canvas, which merfins are not.

Overall, if you plan on continuing swimming, I'd recommend just painting your fabric instead of the monofin. That way, if it doesn't work out the way you planned, you won't have wasted your money on a big expensive monofin!
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 04-28-2016 at 12:54 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Thank you! I'll definitely try
    "Come all ye pretty, fair maids, whomever you may be,Who love a jolly sailor bold that plows the raging sea. My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold. There is nothing can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    - PotC4

I am allergic to latex, and had a reaction to my merfin. So I painted it with Plastidip, then glitter spray paint on top of that. Some flake glitter, and then coated it with the Plastidip glossifier. I haven't gone swimming with it yet, but it sure is pretty. LOL

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    I am allergic to latex, and had a reaction to my merfin. So I painted it with Plastidip, then glitter spray paint on top of that. Some flake glitter, and then coated it with the Plastidip glossifier. I haven't gone swimming with it yet, but it sure is pretty. LOL

It sure is! Never heard of this Plastidip. Does it crack when you bend the monofin?

I don't bend it too hard. I don't think just Plasti-dip would crack. But the actual paint might.

It looks great. I hope you will let us know how the paint holds up after swimming.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Lilyrose Fish

Thanks! I will.

Super excited. The fin works. The dive socks work. The top works. My bottoms almost came off the first time I dived.... lol. The paint on top, where it was too thick with the spray paint, did crack, but I learned some things from it. And the plastidip does work. I can get clear, color it with pearlex, and paint anything I want with an airbrush, and never have any problems. And still, it IS going inside a full tail. I am very happy with my first mermaid swim.

Any allergy reactions to where your skin touches the paint?

Nope!

But it is coated again with the plasti-dip.

Wowza that is beautiful!!!!

Thank you. 😆

I'm inspired! I have a merfin, I love the colour I have however all that sparkles is way too tempting. I'll bare this mind if I want to "dip" in

Thank you for the question Shiera and thanks for the share auriel
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is a splash 🌊 ~ What do you choose - Shallow or Deep? Make an impact today 💕

How did it go? Did you swim in it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    How did it go? Did you swim in it yet?
    I haven't painted the fin yet, but I swam in it the other day and it was like magic. My old fin kept sending me off to my left, but the merfin was wonderful. I'll be painting it soon and I'll be sure to post pictures!
    - PotC4

Awesome, and you're very welcome!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Shimmer Mermaid's Avatar
    Just ordered my own Mahina- was wondering the same thing!
    Personally I'm going to attempt to use Tulip 3d fabric paint and see if it will stick to the Merfin and stay while swimming.
    Tell me your secrets, sailor.. and I'll whisper mine in return.

Well, I painted it. I used a white Plastidip base and green krylon spray paint over the top. Then I swam in it. I now have scuff marks everywhere on the edges of the fin I think I'll try again and sand the edges to give the paint something to stick to.

Also, I can't upload my pic for some reason:/
    - PotC4