Thread: Finding photoshoot locations

Finding photoshoot locations

As I finish up my tail and accessories, I've been planning on doing a photo shoot and making a demo reel so that I can start offering mermaid events along with the princess ones I already do. But I don't own a pool, there aren't any close by open bodies of water, and I have no idea how to find any other locations for a photoshoot.

How do I find pools for photoshoots? I know a lot of apartment complexes here have pools, and some even have fake beaches but to get into the pools you need a key so those are out unless I have some friends who have nice pools in their complexes. My dad suggests renting a hotel room to use the pool the hotel has but most of those are tiny pools that won't work for the shoot or the video because of size.

You could ask the apartment complexes if you can use their pool for a short time. It's not that uncommon actually.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Sadly a lot of the complexes here with pools are luxury complexes, so they're all fenced in communities and you can't even get into the community without a key or a passcode (residents are given passcodes to give to guests who need to call them to be buzzed in)

I am thinking of just doing a dry shoot until I find a pool or body of water (or get a car so that I could drive to one of the lakes here where swimming is allowed)

I've already contacted my photography and told them what I'm looking for and we finalized the plans, now I just have to find a galvanized steal water trough big enough for me but small enough to fit in my trunk (I have the size I want in mind but don't know where to find it) or a plastic tube in the right size that I can spray paint. (I'm looking for one a bit bigger than this one, big enough for me to sit in but still small enough that my shoulders can be see and my tail hangs over the side)

Have you already tried your local pet and feed stores?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Lilyrose Fish

Hmmm....locations are tricky and sometimes you have to pull strings to find out where people's secret shooting locations are.

I see you have on your profile Flagstaff AZ.

I found a couple really cool close natural water sources that aren't too far from you.

http://www.azswimmingholes.com/

https://rootsrated.com/stories/4-secret-swimming-holes-near-flagstaff

http://www.swimmingholes.org/az.html

Also look into a day-rental of a home or cabin that has a pool, those are better than hotel pools.

Check out AirBNB's sometimes there are super fancy condos or high-rise apartments on there for rental for a day that come with pool access.
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

I realize it is quite a drive away from Flagstaff, but it would be really cool to get some mer-photos in Lake Powell. That place has some gorgeous scenery.

I forgot to update this,sorry! I have 2 photoshoots set up. One on land (that one has been canceled thiugh because of the heat) and one under water at a photograoher's studio.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Do my Florida Mers have any recommendations on which of the springs here are best for underwater shoots? I love the warm ocean water here but it's not the clearest for photography. I have never been to Weeki Wachee or Alexander Springs or any of the like and am wondering if one was better than another.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    The best two are Ginnie Springs and Alexander Springs. I'm always at Alexander once a month. If there a day you are going there (hopefully with a 3 week notice), I'll try to get it off. All the sprigs photos in my instagram are from Alexander Springs.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Thanks Slim! I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    I have never been to Weeki Wachee or Alexander Springs or any of the like and am wondering if one was better than another.
    I'm actually not so sure Weeki Wachee lets you wear your tail there. Unless if perhaps you visit the spring creek and swim as a merman there and don't enter through the actual park. But I am not so sure about that.

No matter what spring you go to, you might want to get there early. Once more people show up to the spring the water gets stirred up from people jumping in and the clarity decreases. Also right after a rain the water can be a bit cloudy. Although the bigger the spring the less problems you will have with people stirring up water. I made that mistake when I went to Vortex Spring. My friend and I decided to shoot some video later in the day of me swimming but by that time all the visitors had stirred up the water and the visibility wasn't nearly as magical as it had been that morning.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Pretty much any spring that isn't Weeki Wachee will allow tails.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies