Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the ideal modern mermaid movie?

I really like the darker siren side of mermaids, and the myths and the orgins of myths of the sea.

I'd love to see a movie where there is a mermaid whose goal is not to go to the human world and get hitched. Maybe someone that I could relate to on more than just a surface level. I would be greatly interested in some sort of adventure story, or even something that takes place entirely underwater (or mostly). Maybe, voiceovers for the "merspeak" or subtitles to some invented mer sounds if they need dialogue and an encounter with a fisherman or two. And plenty of shots of epic tail costumes, not cg'd. Also, a personal per peeve of mine, when a character spends an entire move finding/going on amazing adventures, they always end up going home to where they weren't happy (Atlantis:the Lost Empire is one of the exceptions.) If a character discovers a magical world, I want them to stay there. I am talking to you, Labyrinth.

Wow, I guess I am really opinionated. xD

Senior Member Pod of Texas CynthiaMermaid's Avatar
    In H2O, I thought it would have been cool if Cleo's dad found out the trio's secret.

In addition, we do need a mermaid story where the mermaid does not get legs.

Mermaid Cynthia

I guess I would love to see a live action and dark version of the Little Mermaid. I have a bit of trouble with the SeaWitch aspect, for fear things'll get hokey, but I would enjoy seeing something like that. They actually cut a SeaWitch scene out of Splash. Wish they'd kept the cuts for the DVD. Ah well. I also get upset with CGI in general being overused instead of accenting and complimenting good-ol' fashioned movie magic, makeup, special effects, etc. I think the transformation scene in Splash is tremendous. It's unique, realistic and leaves a lot to the imagination. I DID enjoy the transformation in STRANGER TIDES (I like that her tail literally "washed away" with the spilled water, but I do love for people to use their tangible skills to get the mind working too.
    I wish that we could get over the merman thing. The idea that Someone is a merman in a movie always makes the male character out to be a laughing-stock. Look at Ben Stiller or Adam Sandler. I feel like in general, women can be seen as sexy-- and mermaids are sexy. But men and merfolk aren't. I strongly disagree. I just feel that it hasn't been done justice yet.
    Maybe there could be a film where splash is reversed. It seems a BIT hard to come up with truly unique ideas for merfolk plots that aren't just your standard: human falls for mermaid/merman or merman/mermaid falls for human. That's one good thing STRANGER TIDES did... it gave a plot that utilized merfolk in a new way. Same with SHE CREATURE

Maybe a mer-film with an environmental theme would be interesting? Help hath no fury than a mermaid upset with humankind for polluting her home, killing her friends for food, etc.!
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

I think it was that TV movie that people refer to as "PAX Mermaids" in which the main mermaid's human love interest discovered her secret and reacted in a way that was totally new: "You're a mermaid? Wow, that's incredible." But of course they then had him loose his memory as a cop out. Is there no way that a mainstream take on mermaids can handle the concept of someone actually being amazed and enchanted by the realisation that the object of their desires is a beautiful and exotic creature rather than acting as though they have been fed human flesh?

Yeah Nate... I agree.
    I was actually very pleasantly surprised when the mermaid's love interest reacted that way-- and then the memory deletion?! I was like: OH COME ON!!!
    Maybe that would make a great theme for a movie... the mermaid is your protagonist. She's in love with a mortal. She worries about him finding out. He does. He likes it. then they BOTH have the shennanigans of trying to keep it under wraps from others?

Quote Originally Posted by merboy78xy View Post
    Yeah Nate... I agree.
    I was actually very pleasantly surprised when the mermaid's love interest reacted that way-- and then the memory deletion?! I was like: OH COME ON!!!
    Maybe that would make a great theme for a movie... the mermaid is your protagonist. She's in love with a mortal. She worries about him finding out. He does. He likes it. then they BOTH have the shennanigans of trying to keep it under wraps from others?
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

For me that was one of the things that saved Splash 2 from being hopeless as a film, the fact that the couple had dealt with the fact Madison was a mermaid and were living their lives with that as a part of the whole. The entire thing may have been a cheap attempt to cash in on the vastly superior original, but the myriad of scenes in which the characters were scrabbling to dry off the tail just proves to me that they were aware of that fact and trying to play it as a comedy.

It's just a shame that we couldn't have Amy Yasbeck as a mermaid with her natural hair colour; not all mermaids have to be blondes.

I know... when I was a kid, I was infatuated with SPLASH and always wanted them to make a sequel, and one day I saw that Disney was going to show it on their special presentation program. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. then they TOTALLY lost everything that made the 1st film so good. I was so upset, but willing to settle, because at LEAST it was more of my mermaid obsession onscreen. I love when mermaids are shown as beautiful creatures, but not so "human." I like a little mystery and style to them as a creature unique to themselves. I'd like any new mermaid movies to continue to explore what a mermaid could be like

I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but I would personally prefer to see some merfolk who actually looked like they were born from their environment. Instead of the ditzy, blonde, or overly human mermaids, how about a real race of creatures who looked as alien as the undersea world does? I want to see a culture, not just one magical woman who later turns into a human... but that's just me.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I think it was that TV movie that people refer to as "PAX Mermaids" in which the main mermaid's human love interest discovered her secret and reacted in a way that was totally new: "You're a mermaid? Wow, that's incredible." But of course they then had him loose his memory as a cop out. Is there no way that a mainstream take on mermaids can handle the concept of someone actually being amazed and enchanted by the realisation that the object of their desires is a beautiful and exotic creature rather than acting as though they have been fed human flesh?
    Yeah Nate... I agree.
    I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but the reason he lost him memory was just because the movie was a backdoor pilot, and the story was supposed to go on for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but the reason he lost him memory was just because the movie was a backdoor pilot, and the story was supposed to go on for much longer.
    I got that impression, but I still thought it was unoriginal to loose that element of the character.

First of all i fully agree that if there is to be a mermaid movie it should def stray away from a central romantic story line(love romances dont get me wrong but its been overdone). i adore the darker aspect of the mermaids- like the mermaids in the mermaid lagoon in the peter pan remake from a few years back. or the mermaids from POTC. i think there are richer, darker aspects to be explored from the mermaid myths. Also i heard tim burton was gonna remake the little mermaid- Survey Says?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Tim Burton for the win!