Thread: Hair Concerns

Hair Concerns

Ok, so my natural hair is FABULOUSLY colored. I've already learned that Chlorine will strip the color from my hair faster than a mouse will steal cheese. I've been considering getting a wig, custom made, to match my natural hair. My concern is, that unless I have a swim cap on under my wig, that my color will still be stripped. Has anyone else had to do the same? How did it work out for you? (Please don't mind the muffin top! It's a work in progress!) Name:  13124704_491010357769725_8950568772155260296_n.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  168.0 KB

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    My lovely shade of chocolate hair was stripped down to its natural color (black with grey streaks) in about six weeks!

I managed to extend it, instead of the 4 ish weeks it takes chlorine to eat dyed hair, by coating my head in coconut oil before each swim, and thoroughly washing it after swimming.

I don't think there is a solution to having dyed hair and swimming in chlorine. Not sure about salt water, as that is not available to me locally.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I wouldn't dream of exposing my real hair to chlorine, and the usual "tricks"- like putting oil or hair care products in before swimming- mess up the pool water pretty bad (which in turn is damaging to YOUR health- it's not just an issue of "ew, gross" as many think).

Thus I use wigs over a normal swimcap, and it works flawlessly.
    You just have to take care of the wig afterward.
    I warmly recommend it to anyone who isn't bald.

Yes, always pre-wet your hair before swimming to prevent hair from soaking up chemical-treated water. Use an oil, or a conditioner you like and leave it in. In my experience I must prewet & moisturize my hair, then tuck it all under a silicone swim cap, before swimming. By doing this my hair was saved from the damages of swimming. It was turning to straw after every swim, even when prewetted! So I picked up some swim caps and realized that it's okay to look like an alien-head because my hair wasn't being fried anymore. lol.

You can do a search about using wigs over swim caps and various threads will come up.

I would worry about a pretty wig if I were mermaiding professionally or to model underwater, but this is just for me and I like the ease of just going with a cap on.

Oh, and my hair is super long; reaches halfway down my butt. My natural hair is a medium brown. It's undyed up top and fades into dark chocolate brown dye near my shoulders. The underside if my hair is silver (aka VERY bleached). I didn't have any issues with pool damage or color loss when I followed this swim cap method last year.

BTW your hair is gorgeous! Definitely protect that pretty mane!

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I wouldn't dream of exposing my real hair to chlorine, and the usual "tricks"- like putting oil or hair care products in before swimming- mess up the pool water pretty bad (which in turn is damaging to YOUR health- it's not just an issue of "ew, gross" as many think).

Thus I use wigs over a normal swimcap, and it works flawlessly.
    You just have to take care of the wig afterward.
    I warmly recommend it to anyone who isn't bald.
    Yes! For this reason some pools won't let you come into the water if you have product in your hair!! Something to keep in mind... I believe some pools even want you to shower on site before going into the water. It makes sense. That water isn't cheap.

Personally I was going to a private pool and had only a little conditioner on my damaged ends. I'd then wrap my hair into a bun so it was really staying away from the pool water. When I took my cap off after swimming my hair felt the same as when I put it up. Hair product all locked away in a bun-knot.

I honestly don't think I could have posed any more of a threat than if I had just slathered myself in body lotion and gone swimming... or had leave-in products in my hair and gone swimming without a cap. But again, private pool for me.

I usually just swim in salt water I am terrified of chlorine messing up my hair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the option of swimming in Saltwater, I wish I did! I usually swim in a swim cap, I was just curious about a wig on top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Make sure to read through The Official Wig and Hair Extensions Thread for lots of tips about swimming in wigs

I have. That ones of the reasons I posted here. I didn't see anything about using a swim cap under a wig. Thank you Arabella!

Oh, I thought someone mentioned it...well then, I guess I'm just a crazy person! :P

I may have just not comprehended what I read. I've been loopy on pain meds.

The only thing I can suggest is oil for your hair. Oil repels the water and will help the colour stay in. Some are better than others, of course. Also use a clarifying shampoo after the swim.

As mentioned above, some pools will not like the oil, though. I am no help on the wig front. Sorry.
    Sapphire Mermaid x

It was a Friday morn when we set sail
    And we were not far from the land
    When our captain, he spied a fishy mermaid
    With a comb and a glass in her hand

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Mermaid View Post
    The only thing I can suggest is oil for your hair. Oil repels the water and will help the colour stay in. Some are better than others, of course. Also use a clarifying shampoo after the swim.

As mentioned above, some pools will not like the oil, though. I am no help on the wig front. Sorry.
    Clarifying shampoo is extremely harsh on your hair and is especially not recommended for vivid colored hair unless you're looking for a way to fade the color... Hair that soaks up chemical-laden pool water doesn't need to be stripped further, just rinse it very thoroughly and condition well.

Hoping the OP found her swim cap & wig solution in the other threads that have been linked to. ♥

I should have clarified (see what I did there?) that I didn't mean after every swim. Only if you're swimming very frequently (daily) and use a lot of product on your hair should you use it, and even then only once every 2 (ish) weeks. Yes, you will loose colour, but build up and colour change from chlorine never looks good, and you are losing colour anyway every time you swim. You can now get clarifying shampoo that has oils in it, such as Moroccan Oil one, but still only use infrequently as directed. Again, using oils and treatments might prolong the colour, but you will have to check with the pool and their policy on oils and products. There really is no set way to have bright coloured hair and swim all the time
    Sapphire Mermaid x

It was a Friday morn when we set sail
    And we were not far from the land
    When our captain, he spied a fishy mermaid
    With a comb and a glass in her hand