Thread: Professional mermaid with tattoos?

Junior Member Euro Pod

Professional mermaid with tattoos?

Hey everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (and if this has been discussed before), but I have a question about mermaids with tattoos.

What are your thoughts about this, and furthermore what are the chances of a tattoo covered mermaid becoming (semi-)professional?

x Mearlin

There's another thread talking about tattoos here you can check out! http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ghlight=Tattoo

I'm not tattoo "covered", but I have a collection of 10. It's never been an issue for me with mermaiding; and actually on two occasions I was hired specifically because of them.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I quickly re-read that thread, and I don't think it was mentioned:

if you plan on swimming in a mermaid show like weeki wachi, or some an aquarium, you will most likely be turned down if you are tattoed.
    If you're going to be self-employed, it obviously depends on the people who will book you.

So it depends on what the general stance on tattoes is in your country/region.

I agree with Echidna's post, it'll depend a lot on your region and on the events that you're looking to book. As a side-note, tattooed mers could also consider covering tattoos for certain jobs, either with make-up** or accessories. For example, wearing bracers over a forearm tattoo. In my case, I'd need a top that covers my upper back. I doubt that I'll ever bother, b/c I love my wings and think they look awesome alongside a tail, but there are creative ways to work around them, if that's something YOU want to do.

**If you want to cover with make-up, you're going to need to do a LOT of test runs to make sure your cover-up doesn't come off in the water!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Has there ever actually been a documented issue of a mer losing work because of their tats? I can't recall any...

If anyone is ever looking for a product for tattoo coverage:
    I've used Mehron Tattoo Cover Ring Makeup

http://www.amazon.com/Mehron-Tattoo-.../dp/B00247XQOE with great success. I see mixed experiences in the reviews but I've had no issues using it to cover tattoos.
    Great coverage, the mixed colors make it easy to blend with your skin tone, and totally waterproof.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Thanks for everyone's reactions, it really gives me some hope. I live in the Netherlands and maybe it's just the people I know but most are quite chill about tattoos. Almost everyone has at least one hidden somewhere so the stigma around it is already disappearing. I'm also planning on doing a course on bartending so I can guarantee at least some form of income while traveling/mermaiding.

Edit: Thanks Caliziare, I'm definitely going to look into getting that tattoo covering make-up!

Professional mermaid with tattoos?

Ohio's First Mermaid.
    Owner of The Ohio Mermaids
    Instagram: @KateyMermaid
    Katey Mermaid on Facebook
    Katey Mermaid Website
    Ohio Mermaids Website

I think it depends on the situation and the venue. I run The Ohio Mermaids, and one of our performers (Mermaid Viridian) has some beautiful tattoos. (Pics below) along with the ones you can see while she's in her tail, she has awesome scales on one hip that are visible when she's in her "land" garb.

I will say that her tattoos are kid friendly and ocean themed. Which might have something to do with how they are received. But we've never had a complaint about them. If anything, the kids think it's kinda awesome, and the parents think it's badass.

So I wouldn't say that tattoos ALWAYS need to be covered. I would say it's up to your discretion and the event you're doing.

Ohio's First Mermaid.
    Owner of The Ohio Mermaids
    Instagram: @KateyMermaid
    Katey Mermaid on Facebook
    Katey Mermaid Website
    Ohio Mermaids Website

To cover a tattoo (if you have to) use alcohol based foundation with an airbrush such as Dinair. Alcohol based foundation is waterproof! I've heard some people say with proper care they will stay covered up to 3 days. Just remember to colour correct the tattoo first (ie use green tint over a red tattoo) then when it's dry you can use a flesh colour to match your skin tone.

I am covered in tattoos, all very pretty and kid appropriate as I am a tattoo artist. When it comes to me being a mermaid, my tattoos are actually part of the project and don't see them ever really becoming a problem. And as for covering them, it takes HOURS to apply tattoo cover up make up and honestly in my opinion, If someone won't hire me because of my ink, then I don't wanna work for them anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAutisticMermaid View Post
    I am covered in tattoos, all very pretty and kid appropriate as I am a tattoo artist. When it comes to me being a mermaid, my tattoos are actually part of the project and don't see them ever really becoming a problem. And as for covering them, it takes HOURS to apply tattoo cover up make up and honestly in my opinion, If someone won't hire me because of my ink, then I don't wanna work for them anyways.
    Preach!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

Quote Originally Posted by TheAutisticMermaid View Post
    Yup, that's why I ended my comment with, "if that's something YOU want to do," b/c nobody should be forced to hide who they are, and ink is part of who a person is. But that's just my opinion. The only reason I would cover my ink is when I cosplay Belle, and that's more for the sake of accuracy (and I still don't plan to do it all the time, b/c I'm lazy)

If I were going to cosplay Ariel or any other character I would use tattoo coverup for sure, but my Mer persona has tats and shows them

I recently prefer the "pirate mermaid" mersona, it definitely helps! But honestly I've had some issues with adults, but never kids!!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

One day I saw a model with incredibly beautiful tattoos, I approached her only because I was wondering where she gets ideas for her tattoos. She told me about a cool website with butterfly tattoo ideas https://glaminati.com/butterfly-tattoo/. It's actually full of other cool articles about fashion, beauty and health. I like to see cool pictures and learn new information periodically.