Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superhero/Villain merfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    It wont stop Batman. I forgot if it was a show or the comic but he once fought a shark with his bare hands. Honestly though Poison Ivy wouldn't be a villain in the ocean. Yeah there seaweed she can control but there is also coral that she'll restore.
    Oh wow, It just dawned to me that Poison Ivy could control the ocean's plants. Has that ever been done in the comics? Now I really want to see that happen!

Quote Originally Posted by scilover View Post
    Oh wow, It just dawned to me that Poison Ivy could control the ocean's plants. Has that ever been done in the comics? Now I really want to see that happen!
    Then bring her to the lake I swim in and maybe she can make the plants move aside so I can swim around without getting tangled in them.

Quote Originally Posted by K Swim View Post
    Then bring her to the lake I swim in and maybe she can make the plants move aside so I can swim around without getting tangled in them.
    Hahaha that would be the dream, poison ivy as your personal lake plants mover. I need this asap!

Quote Originally Posted by scilover View Post
    Hahaha that would be the dream, poison ivy as your personal lake plants mover. I need this asap!
    Don't forget though that Poison Ivy is supposed to be a villain who would probably make the plants poisonous, so we would need a mer-Batman there too.

I do not count her a really evil because at the end she is an environmentalist who tries to do the right thing but the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    I do not count her a really evil because at the end she is an environmentalist who tries to do the right thing but the wrong way.
    Not to start an argument or anything, but in the one Batman movie that had Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze, she was a killer. Admittedly, I did not read all the comics.

But no matter, wherever you get your knowledge from, one thing we can agree on is that Batman still needed to catch her and put her in jail.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I'm not really into the whole "superhero" culture- too 'murican, I guess-, but that movie was utter trash in every possible way.

And even if it didn't present PI the way it should have, she did have a very good point. Humans are destroying the planet.
    If they were removed, it would be a huge gain for everyone else.
    Of course, humans disagree, no surprise there

Back to the ocean question though, what if she can only control true plants? I think I read somewhere that kelp isn't technically a plant, but she could control the seagrass growing around it so what if she had to make a balance while only controlling half of what she's used to?

Of course, maybe she could control anything that photosynthesizes, in which case she could make a huge algae slime monster and put the zooxa back in the coral!
    Last edited by Ella Pearl; 07-25-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Okay, I'm procrastinating my homework so I'm going to be completely ridiculous here, I apologize in advance.

(Image from lumenlearning.com)

Most of what we call kelp falls into three categories; green, brown, and red algae. This chart puts green and red algae in the purple box with plants, so if Poison Ivy were able to control anything aside from true plants, it would be them. The giant kelp that makes up kelp forests, though, is brown algae (at least in my area), and that's up in the orange box, where dinoflagellates are too (which would include the zooxa that give coral animals color and food).

So far this looks like it belongs in the marine biology forum BUT the context here is still finding the extent of Ivy's powers. I've never read the comics but I think I saw a panel where she grew mushrooms once, so her control isn't completely limited to the purple box. And (according to my first google result lol) mushrooms don't photosynthesize, but DO have a cell wall, so if cell walls are the deciding factor then she CAN control kelp.

Of course it could also be something really simple like controlling anything that grows out of the ground, but even that throws kelp into debate because they don't really have roots? Would a holdfast count for superpowers idk.

The mushroom panel might've been fanart though, and if she can't control those then I'm guessing she can either A) control only true plants or B) control anything with a chloroplast. I'm not sure even Ivy herself knows where on these fuzzy lines she lands, that would be a fun topic for a comic to explore.

TL: DR I have no idea whether Poison Ivy would be an effective personal lake plants mover, but it makes a good brain teaser as long as she's not trying to, you know, kill ya.
    Last edited by Ella Pearl; 07-25-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: needed a TL:DR

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ah, marine biology^^

but I'm willing to bet the writers (?) making her grow mushrooms was simply due to the fact they didn't know mushrooms aren't categorized as plants

That's a great idea! You can also visit this site https://atomicdragonprops.com/ if you need something for your cosplay. They provide a pretty wide choice.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    I don't think Poison Ivy is trying to do the right thing, nor does trying to do the right thing mean they are not evil. Many of the things we count among the most evil things ever done were done in the name good. Evil is not just the the intention, nor the intended end, but also the action taken.

Poison Ivy is a caricature of a revolutionnary eco activist so of course she is doing the right thing, the authors just had a conservative view so they made her "bad guy" a straw ecofeminist going to ludricous lenghts but the most recent versions she has more and more anti hero moment i would not be surprised if she became a hero soon in some version. She is a prime exemple of why i usually side with the vilains anyway most of them have a point about our society and are depicted as mean for that lately i think.