Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official DFW Meets!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Lotus the Mermaid's Avatar
    Add Lotus the Mermaid on Facebook

Official DFW Meets!

Official DFW Meets!

This is our new official thread for the
    Monthly Meets for Mers in the DFW area!

We'll be using this thread to update mers on the details of our Meets!

If you have a Facebook, please join the Pod of Texas here:
    Join the Pod!

There are many advantages to joining the Facebook group, including a casual Pod chat between all mers within the DFW area!
    If you don't have a Facebook, we'd still like to include you! Just post here that you are interested in joining the Meets.

Meets are the last Saturday of every month! We typically meet at NRH Centre in North Richland Hills, but we are in the process of opening up to other venues!

Disclaimer:

The pod has spoken and the majority of us prefer for this particular meet-up to be a time for adult mers to convene and practice tricks without the responsibility of children or fear of child endangerment. If any mer wishes to bring their child or a young merling with them to observe and train alongside us, please bring a separate adult guardian whose sole responsibility is to watch the child or minor while you're in the water.
    ***The remainder of the pod is not responsible for any resulting injury from an unattended child or minor.***

Code of Conduct:

While visiting venues, mermaids are required to adhere to ALL rules and conduct themselves in a mature fashion.

As we all know, mermaids are simply kid-magnets, so while it is strongly suggested not to bring children or minors with us typically to these meets, there will be many children flocking to see us!
    We're there to relax and chat amongst ourselves without filters or rules, but when the kids find us - which they normally will,
    there are certain expectations when conducting yourselves around the little ones during these Meets:

1. Please, try not to swear and please, avoid all references to sex and gore.

2. You're not required to retain your mersona, but please, be ready when children ask you whether you're real and how to respond
    if one asks where you got your tail around younger children.
    We want to keep the magic alive for those who believe, but feel free to share your secrets with
    the older kids that are curious about mermaiding!

3. Try your best not to touch the kids in a way that could be misinterpreted as inappropriate by parents or in a way
    that could make them uncomfortable.
    Hugs are great, and rides are fine as long as you get permission from the child's parent or guardian!
    That's entirely up to you!

4. Be aware of your surroundings!
    Make sure that there is a parent watching nearby. If not, be sure to
    ask the child if their parent is aware of their presence with you.
    If the child doesn't seem to be a strong swimmer, keep that in mind when considering games to play.

5. Lastly, feel free to be honest with kids and their parents when you don't feel up for entertaining these children.
    You're not getting paid to entertain them at these meets and you have the power to communicate why we're here and that is NOT to entertain, but to commune with other mers!

That about covers it!
    Other than that, please just be kind and considerate of other mers.

We're welcoming and open but if you have any issues or arguments between members of the Pod,
    feel free to report them to me if it cannot first be resolved in a civil manner between all parties involved.

Welcome to the Official DFW Meets!

Formerly known as Lotus_Blooming

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    What are we doing for June?

Awww I can only go on Sundays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Trade Winds: We can start discussing that now!

@Nina: We used to have two meets - one on Saturday and one on Sunday. We can take a vote to start that up again!

If we want to do outdoors, it will be iffy due to rain. I know for a fact Joe Pool Lake is still open. If everywhere floods, Burger's Lake should be open as it seems incapable of flooding. Super fun place and they like mers as Mary and I can attest to but a larger group is a bad idea due to the small size of the 'lake'. Dinosaur Valley already is flooding
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 06-02-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: deets

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus the Mermaid View Post
    @Trade Winds: We can start discussing that now!

@Nina: We used to have two meets - one on Saturday and one on Sunday. We can take a vote to start that up again!
    YASSS plz

Since there is a disconnect between here and facebook, we should try to keep them equally updated. Luckily I know what has been happening on fb. *clears throat loudly in an equine fashion and flicks her ears*

Personally, I'd love to visit Lake Lewisville. The beaches there look really nice, and it wouldn't be too far of a drive!

Any lake is a good lake to Trade Winds. (Except Lake Worth and Lake Arlington. I rather not die or be eaten by crocs)

Member Pod of Texas MerDragon Arie's Avatar
    Add MerDragon Arie on Facebook
    I agree with Lotus and vote going here sometime! (Lake Lewisville) Here is the website that shows the beach there! http://www.littleelm.org/index.aspx?NID=201

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Yes! I haven't been lake swimming in far too long! This would be June 25th, correct? I'll be sure to ask off from work so I can go. The pod has grown so much since the last time I went to a meet, I can't wait to see everyone!
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin

So much rain, many of them have told me their beaches are under water or just soggy. I've never had my tail at a Lake before. Only in Hawaii- not even Galveston or like a "normal beach." I worry about... critters... escaping the rising waters. Has anyone heard how they are doing since we made it a week without rain?
    Laura the Mermaid of The MerFriends
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Not that I'm free this month or next... I am DETERMINED to meet all you mers before I move! DETERMINED. MER-MINDED?
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

I'm permanently concerned about critters so I'll withhold my comments there. XD

Laura, we may have to have the whole pod hunt you down at one of your shows!! Either way, we'll make it happen!!! >:B

Also, I was asked to be an artist for RAW Showcase July 28th!! If you'd like to get tickets to support my showcase, feel free to stop by! Here's the link to purchase! I am so thankful! They said they can get me a pool so I can advertise mermaiding as well as crafting! Praise the Lord!
    https://www.rawartists.org/tickets/purchase/2041/304938

As a seahorsey who has spent a large part of her life living and growing up on a lake, in the woods, etc I can say, you probly won't have to worry about anything 'critters'. In calmer waters (don't see that happening at these lakes where beaches are, altho Joe Pool does have some very nice calm waters branching off from the lale), you might find our little friends like backswimmers and other crazy ass looking little dudes I couldn't begin to id (or remember the names of)...my advise is don't dig into the sand and stay near people. (I did that before in a creek, and found this big, freaky larvae that belonged to a crane fly, I believe.) Tl;dr you probly don't have to worry about anything. Just don't go to the actual wooded areas with calm water if you don't want stuff crawling on you.

However any of these lakes are probly uber sandy as has been my experience here, so you will get a lot of sand in your tail.

Lemme put it this way, now that I think about it. Ever hear advice to shake your shoes and clothes out when you're in nature? Definitely do that. Because god knows what is gonna be hiding in your stuff. I have all sorts of stories to tell you about that too, if you won't get spooked.

Burger lake was really fun .v. I might need to carpool though if it's much farther and if my fiancé works that day (my car is poop I can pay for gas if need be)

I try! But as an actor and working mer, Saturdays and SUndays are gig days! And now that we're in swim lesson season too... I don't have a day off until mid-August. Currently August 19 is my next day off.
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    Trade Winds and I spend the day at Joe Pool Lake and had a blast!

The water level is high but nothing is closed from flooding. No sightings of critters other than ducks and squirrels, though a fish nipped Trade Winds. There was a little bit of rain, but the storm was moving away so we didn't have to get out and pack up. Trade Winds field tested some waterproof lipstick with very impressive results and I got a lobster sunburn on my back.

We didn't swim in the designated swim area but right next to it on the other side of a sandbar. When we got tired of lurking in the shallows we beached ourselves on the sandbar (which was mostly giant rocks and mud) and flipped our tails so the kids in the swimming area could see. Then we sat on the big floating yellow wave break thing, which is hard enough to get onto with two legs, so imagine me trying to hoist my fat butt into a round floaty and overbalancing hard enough to my tail flies up into the air. You could actually hear the people on shore saying mermaid and laughing. Later a guy in a kayak near the wave break we were hanging out on tripped his kayak and dropped his phone in 8 feet deep water. He and his friends couldn't find it, but I did on the second dive! No goggles either!
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaïs Nin