Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aeliana's First Silicone Tail

That's awesome! I love your inspiration fish. Check out the Jack Dempsey too - they are my favorite!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Quote Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
    That's awesome! I love your inspiration fish. Check out the Jack Dempsey too - they are my favorite!
    Just googled - they are so cool!! Love how colorful and yet subtle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Keena's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Keena on Facebook
    Bahaha! We have similar humor!!! 😂😂😂😂

Cant wait to see your tests! Definitely wait until the mould is not gassy or the silicone wont cure

posted via phone
    Okay, get a grip, get the hang of this flipper,
    It's like slipping two feet into one big huge slipper.
    I can't believe I can do this and more,
    To swim in the sea like I walk on the shore.
    Out of my shell not closed up like a clam,
    Look out sea, this is me, here I am....

"Little Mermaid 2 Return to the Sea"

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Keena View Post
    Bahaha! We have similar humor!!!

Cant wait to see your tests! Definitely wait until the mould is not gassy or the silicone wont cure

posted via phone
    Yay! We can laugh together!

My first mold still smells a tad when I put my nose right up to it. Is that still too gassy?

The interference pigments came in!!

Y'ALL

Quote Originally Posted by AelianaNympha View Post
    Yay! We can laugh together!

My first mold still smells a tad when I put my nose right up to it. Is that still too gassy?

I "think" you need to wait a minimum of 7days before use? Not 100% sure though!

posted via phone

Pretty pigments!!! 😍

posted via phone

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Keena View Post
    Pretty pigments!!!

posted via phone
    Thanks so much! And seven days good GRIEF how will I ever wait that long??

I am excited to watch your progress on your tail. Your design is beautiful. I can hardly wait to see it come to life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Lilyrose Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Lilyrose Fish View Post
    I am excited to watch your progress on your tail. Your design is beautiful. I can hardly wait to see it come to life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much!! :tear: I'm almost finished with the fluke mold. I can TASTE it...

It tastes like dirt and a little like chemicals. Am I supposed to lick this?

Quote Originally Posted by AelianaNympha View Post
    Thank you so much!! :tear: I'm almost finished with the fluke mold. I can TASTE it...

It tastes like dirt and a little like chemicals. Am I supposed to lick this?

Hahahahaha!!! Please dont eat it!!! Then youll have to redo it all again!

7 days FEELS like forever!!!

posted via phone

Aeliana's First Silicone Tail

Okay. So finally finished my fluke. Changed the design of my scales AGAIN. And started pouring resin. Had a half gallon which I thought would be enough since it's pretty thin, but he detail on the top of the fluke meant it was in fact NOT enough. But I've been sniffing chemicals for too long. So I'm taking a break. All the important bits are covered so I'll just pick up some more resin later this evening when I meet my husband to see how our new house is coming along. the sun in central Georgia was just too dang much today and started melting the edges of the mold wall - crapcrapcrapcrapcrap! So I had to make a ~super profesh~ shade for it. And move a fan outside to keep the clay cooler. I know what you're thinking. Amazing job! Next week I'm gonna start repairing cars. I've already bought THREE rolls of Duck tape and one of them is SPIDER-MAN. #winnerwinnerchickendinner #BOOM

**EDT** feel I should clarify. I used protection (HEYO). I had long sleeves, pants, gloves, goggles, and a mask and worked outside. I ain't fiddlefartin around here. But I did still smell some (maybe my mask didn't fit perfectly).

Yay!!! Love your ideas! And excited to see some interference used! I bought some and didn't use it, so now I'm trying to think of all of the random things I could do with it, lol. Good luck with your resin!

Quote Originally Posted by merwandering View Post
    Yay!!! Love your ideas! And excited to see some interference used! I bought some and didn't use it, so now I'm trying to think of all of the random things I could do with it, lol. Good luck with your resin!
    Thanks!! I've been INHALING your fast and furious thread. Laughing my butt off (wouldn't that be nice. Just made my tape dummy and... Girlfriend what happened to yo butt?? Couldn't possibly be the Cocoa crispies I had for breakfast...) plus your tail is just GOWGEOUS.

Y'ALL. I just got the rest of my pigments in and the shop I got it from on etsy is THEBOMB.COM. First off, I gotta give credit where credit is due. The shop is called altered attic on etsy and she sells pearlex in 6 gram jars. Perfect for if you're not a pro tail maker and just wanna dabble with colors. So she had pre-set bundles of 6 and 13 for slightly discounted prices (they're normally $8 USD for one 6-gram jar). I had narrowed my options to 8 colors, so I messaged and asked if she'd be willing to set up a custom 8-color bundle for me which she did - the DOLL. THEN when they arrived today, I received THIS.
    How adorable and sweet is that?? Smiley face confetti AND a lifesaver mint? WITH A FREE SAMPLE?! And the lifesaver was wintergreen which we all know is the better flavor! Like not only is it awesome to give away free samples because it makes me happy but look at what I'm doing now? I'm promoting her business because that thoughtful little gesture sold me on her! PLUS how pretty is that blue? Anyways. This is all the pigments - bad lighting I know, but I do what I can.
    From the left top of the V around it's carbon black, pearl white, spring green (which I'll mix with the next color to get an olive color), sunset gold, then grey lavender, super copper, super bronze, and duo red blue. Then the interference shades are gold, blue, and blue-green-purple.

Aeliana's First Silicone Tail

Alright. Slight hiccup. A few parts of my resin mold did not cure. Only thing I can think of is that I didn't use enough hardener (even though I measured it exactly). When I poked a Popsicle stick into the gooey parts only the surface was uncured. So I went to lowe's to ask an expert. There wasn't one. So I bought some extra hardener to experiment. I squirted extra hardener in the gummy areas and mixed it up with the Popsicle stick. Then poured resin over the areas at the top of the mold where I ran out. The mold is warping just a tad, but when I pressed on it it gave so I think I can straighten it out some when it finishes curing (and after I've finished laying the fiberglass cloth over the other uncured bits). So. To sum up. More resin poured at the top of the fluke, cloth laid there. Extra hardener mixed into bottom of fluke. More resin standing by to level out mold when/if hardener cures the gummy parts. Wish me luck!

It all cured!! (As far as I can touch anyways) I'm going to flip the mold and start scraping clay this afternoon, but adding the extra hardener solved the problem. Next I just have to finish making scales and then make those molds, which should work out just fine now that I know how to troubleshoot with the resin. It looks like I have all the supplies I need except thinner for the silicone. And that's where I have questions. I read somewhere that I can buy certain paint thinners to use to thin my silicone, but I don't know what to and what not to use as far as thinner ingredients go. I have also seen a lot of recommendations for NOVOCS - I know I read that Theobromine used it for her sea serpent tail which was bangin - but I'd rather not have to drive three hours to get it or have to pay a crap load in shipping again. Is there something I can purchase from lowe's or Michaels? Anyone?

Did you find something other than the NOVOCS? how's it coming- I'm dying to seeeeeee!!!!!
    And I didnt read it before but thank you:)
    And girl- cocoa krispies are obviously fuel for amazingness.
    obviously.
    p.s. if it is any motivation I will totally send you confetti in the mail to celebrate when you finish your tail, lol

Dude, merwandering, cleaning clay out of molds is NO JOKE. I've got a ma-hu-ssive crick in my neck and I've been working on it for days. My goal is to finish it tomorrow and maybe pour silicone tomorrow night. Pointers for any noobs like me reading this - vegetable oil really helps break down monster makers.
    Also, be careful about securing your sculpture to your surface - I made the mistake of sculpting mine precisely on the poster board I used as a stencil of sorts. When the resin finished curing I ended up with some wicked awful undercuts.
    Took about five hours to pop off all the extra pieces. And I haven't even finished cleaning out the clay yet.
    Also having some issues with the areas that didn't cure immediately. They're cured now but they cured all dimpled and lumpy. I don't want to have to remake the mold (it's too expensive) but if I pour the silicone in the mold the way it is now, there will be some weird lumpy bits. I read somewhere that you can mash and smooth monster clay over areas like that and the silicone will still cure. So I may try that.
    As for the thinner, I read that you can use mineral spirits. It was on a special effects site though, not here, so I'm hoping it will still work.
    Girl if you sent me confetti I'd probably save it. I've been inhaling you and pearlie's individual scale threads and they're AMAZING.

Oh my god u had the worst time cleaning out my mold, I ended up leaving some pieces in and just spraying it down with shellac since I used a different type of clay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk