Thread: Staying healthy as a mermaid

Follow Sakutama On Twitter
    Follow Sakutama on Tumblr Visit Sakutama's Youtube Channel

Staying healthy as a mermaid

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a list of things to keep an eye on to stay healthy as a mermaid. Here's a few things I've looked into so far, could anyone help me expand it?

* Brain health - researching if frequent and prolonged breath holding causes any harm to the brain, and if so, what can be done to stay safe and healthy.

* Mermaiding warm-ups. Some good stretches and warm ups before going for a swim or having a mer-training session.

* Sinus care - big one for me. A doctor told my mom I'm prone to ear infections and shouldn't dive deep, and as an adult who had moved abroad to Japan, my sinus problems have reared their ugly head with new bugs for my body to become immune too. And just when it couldn't get worse, developing my first allergies that have made me a regular at the ENT Doctor. So I'm looking into ear plus and nose plugs and whatever else can help.

* Hair care - I know it's been covered here, great read! Just thought it worth mentioning again.

* Skin care? How does chlorine, saltwater, and so on affect your skin when you swim regularly?

* Eye care - keeping your eyes healthy, similar to skin.

Anything else??

Health is SO important. Let's all try to be as healthy as we can be!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I would add eating right. That has a different definition for everyone tho. Like me, I am a vegan that tries to eat as 'raw' as possible. I rarely eat processed food- if I do it is out to eat, or an energy bar...otherwise the most processed thing I eat is condiments on my food. Because a lot of the stuff I eat has few calories I have to eat a LOT and make sure I complain often about needing more calories. My food regimin is probly very boring to a lot of people. (I can ramble more about it but I won't.)

As for actual answers to what you have, I just do whatecer and don't think much about howit affects me. 'Healthy', right? My biggest concern is pool water...seahorseys don't do well with pools so I try to avoid them entirely.

Good list. I thought that holding your breath would only really start causing problems if you frequently hold it for longer then 5 minutes... Which is really hard to do. Am I wrong?

Hooray! Another vegan. .

And I also get concerned about the public pools. My sister in law caught something from a public pool that totally wrecked her immune system and she has had horrible health ever since. Scary...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Veggie here as well-and as mentioned, breathholding should not have averse effects when not overdone. It can even have positive sideeffects like killing noxious bacteria or parasites that are anaerob.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissa View Post
    My sister in law caught something from a public pool that totally wrecked her immune system and she has had horrible health ever since. Scary...
    oh no, something else to watch out for!
    Do you have any idea what it was?
    Cryptosporidium, perhaps?

I'd hate to learn there is something even worse out there...
    although, of course, it could have been any virus that is transmitted over respiration.
    In theory, you can catch every single horrible disease ever which is transmitted that way over the ventilatory system of a crowded place.
    We have a mer here who almost lost her hearing because of a rare virus she probably caught from a kid in a pool.

I think it was cryptosporidium, and I think that led to further problems and intolerances that she chronically has to deal with.

Yeah, public pools are scary to me for that reason, especially if they are crowded. Most of my swimming these days is done in lakes and the ocean, but it is really cold water where I live, so I have been trying to figure out what early mornings I can swim in a pool to avoid crowds... And maybe diseases?(although who knows if it really reduces the chances).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Avoiding crowds is the best you can do, sadly it's not always possible.

I also wear protection for eyes, sinuses and ears, make sure not to touch any surfaces with bare skin, and only visit facilities that appear to be in a well-cleaned condition.

I can't wait for the day when I finally have my own pool, though!

Thanks ladies! I hadn't ever thought of catching something from the pool itself! All the more reason to be careful and stay healthy.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Cataleya's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Cataleya on Facebook
    U should check out the videos on this website there is everything u need to know from hair to ears and nose http://halifaxmermaids.weebly.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "In the depth in find our soul, in darkness we find our true self. "

Great to see more plant powered mers!!!

You can get sick from pools OR other bodoes of water. I got an ear infection recently after being in a lake, but the doc thinks a _middle_ ear infection from water in the ear is unlikely. So I am going to invest in ear plugs after that. But stuff happens no matter how careful you are. My policy is avoid pools and embrace the natural bodies of water

TIP: Sometimes when water gets trapped in your ears, it doesn't always drain in a reasonable amount of time. I'm a swim instructor, and I know that after lessons and being in the pool for several hours, i have thoroughly filled my ears with water. On occasion, my ears don't drain, not even overnight. I've found that a drop or two of over the counter rubbing alcohol, dripped into the ear, breaks the water tension seal, and the water (and rubbing alcohol) will come right out. I personally feel that it helps hold off ear infections from stagnant water hiding in the ear canal. i use the same method after swimming in natural bodies of water as well.
    Ohio's First Mermaid.
    Owner of The Ohio Mermaids
    Instagram: @KateyMermaid
    Katey Mermaid on Facebook
    Katey Mermaid Website
    Ohio Mermaids Website

You see...after that particular swim my merfriend suggested alcohol, so I did it in my left ear. That is the one I later found out was infected. In the past I have used the product Swimmer's Ear, but now I have this manual method where I put my palm against my ear and 'plunge' it out. Sounds like a fart but it sucks the water right on out. I don't often get water in my ears tho, usually just when I make a poorly planned turn. I lived on a lake growing up and have been to other questionable bodies of water, but this was my 1st ear infection after being in a lake. So no telling what exactly caused the infection, as the net and the doc agree it is unlikely it was the lake. I do use ear plugs every night I wonder if they had a play in it. *shrug*

My mom (a nurse) always used hydrogen peroxide in our ears after swims. Purely anecdotal, but I never got an ear infection, even though I was constantly in the pool/river/ocean/gulf/creek/pond growing up.

Fantasic tips everyone! I have a good idea of a routine now to make sure I don't need to see my ENT again soon after I starting swimming! I think the peroxide in the ear after swimming sounds like a fantastic routine to stick with.

As for me, I use Cannabis seeds for health. Apart from recreational and medicinal purposes, cannabis seeds can be used to enhance one’s health. Research has revealed that these seeds are highly nutritious as they are rich in proteins and minerals.

Health is important and I use bulk cannabis seeds for this. If you were looking for a store where you can order them, I can recommend a website that I recently found bulk, click here. They have a wide and varied selection of products, and my friend said that this is the best bulk. I recently bought cannabis seeds there too and started using it. It makes me feel better.

In order to turn your social accounts profit, Buy Yelp Reviews you have to make sure that you're using the right strategies. Facebook and Twitter, for instance, are notorious for ripping off businesses by guesstimating their customers' interests. These companies then use the data from their users to determine which ads to send to them, but sometimes the data is incorrect. If an ad is sent to a user who won't click through to the product or service, Facebook will lose money. Buy Glassdoor Reviews

Hi all, can you tell me where I can get tested for sexually transmitted diseases? I need your answers as soon as possible!

Hi. I also recently had a suspicion that I had contracted a disease that was sexually transmitted. I was very worried about this and decided not to put this problem off, so I decided to contact std test miami. These guys were able to quickly help me test my body for the presence of sexually transmitted diseases and good thing, as it turned out, my worries were in vain and I am not sick.

I use products that help improve health, so I can emphasize the importance of using Durban Poison and Dutch Passion semen, more information can be found here. This will make a good contribution to your health. Use this for yourself if you're interested. I started using these Sativa strains to get rid of insomnia, and it helps me.

i like this info
    thanks