Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Tail Project - Neoprene Tail!

First Tail Project - Neoprene Tail!

So a few months ago, I decided that I would make a neoprene tail using the Hydra monofin I got for my birthday (modified by my boyfriend). We brought the neoprene and cutting it out to the shape of me wearing the monofin, but had to put it on hold while I went travelling.
    But I'm back now, and with summer coming I'm eager to get it finished! This is what we've done so far
    Name:  mermaid tail 001.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  85.0 KB
    And the monofin
    Name:  monofin 001.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  82.6 KB
    Because I do most of my swimming off of the back of a small boat, I need to be able to put the tail on and take it off easily in the water. Which means a zip. We then thought of the idea of covering it with individual scales to conceal the zipper. I'm planning on painting the scales with pearlescent white paint and glitter to make them look a little more 3D effect, and painting the edges with gold to conceal the black. I'll use a similar effect on the fluke too.
    Here's the plans that I've drawn up
    Name:  mermaid tail diagram 001.jpg
Views: 4410
Size:  103.6 KB
    Name:  mermaid tail diagram 002.jpg
Views: 3478
Size:  98.2 KB
    Name:  mermaid tail diagram 003.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  55.8 KB
    Name:  mermaid tail diagram 004.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  52.1 KB
    The next step from here is probably to find someone who can sew the two pieces of neoprene together and install the zip, because I don't have a sewing machine or the skills to sew neoprene. I'll keep updating this thread as we (hopefully!) make progress.
    I'm excited!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So pretty! I love the shape you cut the hydra into. Are the scales going to be painted on or made of another material?

“Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are.”

Formerly known as Mermaid Eva

Thanks Mermaid Eva I'm going to cut the scales out individually out of neoprene and glue them on. My neoprene is only 3mm so it shouldn't make it too bulky

Senior Member Pod of Oceania OceanRose's Avatar
    I love your plans so far I'm excited for you!!

Sounds beautiful, and off to a beautiful start! Can't wait to see more.
    Cool people have signatures. I wish to be cool as well. So here's Strong Bad catching fish. http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail44.html

I love your concept as well. It looks amazing n.n

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Tapatalk
    I never knew my place in the world,but
    I found it here as a Merkin to everyone here.
    FTM Trans Gender-fluid Male
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

Thanks so much everyone
    I haven't got any updates, unfortunately. My boyfriend is still insisting that we get the main part of the tail sewn by a professional, and that he will organise it. But he hasn't done anything about it yet. Hopefully things will start moving again now that he's finished working two jobs.
    Once that's done though, things should start coming together a bit quicker

Soooo one thing I'm unsure about, is how to adhere glitter to the tail. While I'll probably use some white pearlescent paint to add depth (particularly on the fluke), I want the main features to be the colour of the neoprene itself and glitter.
    I've been researching for a while now, trying to find the best medium but haven't had much luck.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Embed it in glue? as in, mix it with E-6000 or whatever glue you're using, and paint it on, then let it dry, and maybe put a clear coat over it to protect the glitter from falling out?

Also, how does that modified Hydra swim? Does it still have similar propulsion to an uncut Hydra?

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Would E6000 affect the stretch of the neoprene? The neoprene glue I'm using for attaching the individual scales to the tail base is black, so that wouldn't work.

Try painting it after you sew it together and stuff it to give it shape and stretch it only as much as it will be stretched - you said you were going to put a zip in it, so less stretch is needed than if you were making a fabric or neoprene tail with no zip. Even Lumiere fabric paints and the like will affect the stretch of the fabric, even if it's only because some paints crack when you stretch the fabric.

E-6000 comes in clear, and it dries clear and flexible

TwitterFacebookInstagram

I did a quick search and found these ... the base dries clear and they dry soft and permanent with no need to heat set:

http://decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products....-Soft_Glitters

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    Try painting it after you sew it together and stuff it to give it shape and stretch it only as much as it will be stretched - you said you were going to put a zip in it, so less stretch is needed than if you were making a fabric or neoprene tail with no zip. Even Lumiere fabric paints and the like will affect the stretch of the fabric, even if it's only because some paints crack when you stretch the fabric.

E-6000 comes in clear, and it dries clear and flexible
    E-6000 it is then! Thank you so much, Miyu. I've been stuck on this for weeks.
    I'll add it to my list of things to buy when I start getting paid again

Awesome! No problem, that glue is really super handy, especially for mer-stuff. It's actually pretty inexpensive as well, you can pick it up at Walmart (though I had problems finding ANY at Walmart last Christmas season, apparently it was "make-your-own-gifts year" in my town, LOL). I'd use it more often but I am so sensitive to chemicals that I pretty much only use it when I have no other choice

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Quote Originally Posted by OceanRose View Post
    I did a quick search and found these ... the base dries clear and they dry soft and permanent with no need to heat set:

http://decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products....-Soft_Glitters
    Hmm those look pretty good too. The website doesn't say how they hold up to washing though, so I'm a bit worried about how they would handle mermaiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    Awesome! No problem, that glue is really super handy, especially for mer-stuff. It's actually pretty inexpensive as well, you can pick it up at Walmart (though I had problems finding ANY at Walmart last Christmas season, apparently it was "make-your-own-gifts year" in my town, LOL). I'd use it more often but I am so sensitive to chemicals that I pretty much only use it when I have no other choice
    LOL I wish I could pop down to Walmart and get stuff, I miss Walmart sooooooo much but we don't have them here in New Zealand. I did manage to find it on trademe though (kind of like ebay) but it's probably way more expensy.

I miss Walmart and I've never been there ... everyone talks about it!
    Looks like you have a good plan, with the E6000 :-) I got a couple of tubes off umm Amazon or ebay I can't remember but it was $6 a tube I think ... One day I went into Spotlight and they had a tiny tube for some ridiculous cost lol.

Regarding the glitter paint ... I wondered the same thing, I am thinking about asking them if it's water/wash proof ... but it looks like they don't ship to NZ which is a bummer because I really like their metallic paints (I can't get Lumiere anywhere)

Quote Originally Posted by OceanRose View Post
    I miss Walmart and I've never been there ... everyone talks about it!
    Looks like you have a good plan, with the E6000 :-) I got a couple of tubes off umm Amazon or ebay I can't remember but it was $6 a tube I think ... One day I went into Spotlight and they had a tiny tube for some ridiculous cost lol.

Regarding the glitter paint ... I wondered the same thing, I am thinking about asking them if it's water/wash proof ... but it looks like they don't ship to NZ which is a bummer because I really like their metallic paints (I can't get Lumiere anywhere)
    I haaate it when you find something amazing online and then they don't ship to NZ. So annoying

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Morticia Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Morticia Mermaid On Twitter Add Morticia Mermaid on Facebook Add Morticia Mermaid on Google+
    Visit Morticia Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    Love your design. Can't wait to see how it turns out
    I claim Pat 1001! ~Mermaid Morticia

Mermaid Tails and accessories available at ~ ♥Facebook- Siren's CallingGoogle+Website
    Morticia Mermaid FacebookGoogle+