Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Take two, partial silicone tail

I'm so excited, the second half is curing right now and I'm about to make a mold of my legs so I can begin sequining, also my zipper got messed up, but I managed to fix it, it turns out that at the top of the zipper, there was nothing to stop the little thing from running off the zipper, so I sewed lots of thread at the end and it acts as a stopper so now I can go about my project happily, I'm thinking of putting a belt on the inside at the waist too, I've got a couple of waist band materials I could use, I don't want the tail to fly off haha
    Last edited by Lili; 06-24-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Duct tape dummy made now I can begin sequining

Cutting out some scales, they'll be painted once on the body

So after a few days of debate and designing, I decided to add an extension to my tail, I'm going to attempt this, it won't cost me much so if it's a failure then I'm not worried about anything, I went out and bought a small lexan sheet today, realized I had no way of cutting it but after three bruises on my hands, possibly damaged scissors and like 3 hours I managed to cut out the shape which will be attached to the bottom of my feet, I also got some silicone caulking, I already created what isn't technically a rod, but more of a rod in pieces..? My plan basically is to connect these 3 items and then cover it in silicone caulking to seal off anything so that water doesn't reach it, and for smoother movement, I mean, sure, I'm adding more weight to my tail but I'm not worried about that here's a picture before I actually assemble this, because I need to go to work soon I can't work on this until tomorrow probably. Then I shall do some serious drilling which I'm a bit scared of. In case anyone is wondering, yes, my rod is made out of wire and those rolls from receipt paper...

So I screwed everything together today, I'm worried about rust though, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should use to seal this off? There will be silicone over top of this but perhaps that won't add the protection it needs?

More progress, and I also got to add silicone sealant on the foot area to hide the shape of feet, tomorrow I'll add more sealant on the back to hide the heels.
    Last edited by Lili; 07-07-2016 at 10:44 AM.

I may just be the biggest dumbass out there, I tried working with caulk yesterday and I didn't read the directions before I used it, there's a little aluminum plate that I was supposed to pierce before I placed the caulk in the gun, which I didn't do because I didn't read the directions, so all this time I'm wondering why all the silicone is coming out the other end, way to go Lili, also silicone caulk smells worse than actual silicone, it smells like vomit, by the way, that big white chunk you see, is a bit of silicone I accidentally left to cure, I was sad to see all of it go to waste, but it turns out I found a place for it after all, yay for extensions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm so excited to see this done and to see if somebody can actually succeed in making an extended tail.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Me too, it looks like a hot mess right now haha
    Last edited by Lili; 07-07-2016 at 07:14 PM.

here's an image of what it looks like now...I have a massive headache from all the silicone but you guys...I finished it, I finally finished the extension, now there are some bumpy spots which I may add foam to in order for it all to be nice and smooth.
    I'm also excited that I'll literally be using ever millimeter of material I had bought, literally it's going to come down to the last bit of neoprene and foam

I am so tempted to call this tail banana or something it just looks like a giant banana right now haha

Alright so here's the whole tail in its beauty, I'm thinking of going our and getting some more foam because the extension seems rather thin to me, if I add more silicone, it might mess with the flexibility, I think I like the flexibility it has now so I don't want to stiffen it but I want the extension to be fatter so that it blends in with the tailas you can see it looks skinny compared to the rest of the tail
    Last edited by Lili; 07-08-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    My god you've done a fabulous job! I've been toying with the idea of a extended tail but I never figured out how to do it

Thanks! I mean i dont know, it seems that what i did seemed to work, i need to test it out in the water still, im confident it wont float though at least and the flexibility is perfect, its not too floppy or too stiff. Also excuse that Pikachu, that was my first ever sewing project and I was just taking out the stuffing to see what it would look like inside of the tail, I don't like it, it makes it look bumpy (which is why im getting foam) so Pikachu can live on haha

Haha no worries about the pikachu plush, I have at least two plushies that are in the shape of airplanes!

Oh my gosh that sounds adorable

I'm an airplane lover! XD

Ah that's awesome haha I like being in airplanes, I've been in them a million times at least

I've also been in airplanes a lot! I'm currently training to become a pilot with the Royal Australian Air Force Cadets