Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Mer's make 'noises' versus how many Mer's talk?

How many Mer's make 'noises' versus how many Mer's talk?

There seem to be quite a few events where some Mer's I see make dolphin clicks, chirps, purrs and cheeps and some Mermaid events where they full on talk and interact with guests that way.

What's your preference and why? Does it depend on if you have a mer-tender/partner to 'translate' for you or is it purely what you prefer? Just really interested in hearing what mermaids interact in what way.

I feel like it truly depends on the event. But I love the way it sounds when girls do the chirps and noises to 'communicate.'
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

I love watching the videos of mers at fairs and such who make the clicking noises.
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

I prefer events where the mermaids are silent or only make noises. I've done tons of events where I talk and I prefer ones where I'm silent or only speak mermish.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

I would love to make noises, but that requires being with a mertender who is as into as you haha. When your swimming in a big pool its easier to just talk human, from my experience. Merbellas and other mermaid shows have a great set up because the mermaid interacts mostly behind a barrier with a mertender or handler on the side translating for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Caspiana View Post
    I love watching the videos of mers at fairs and such who make the clicking noises.
    Fairly certain this is ALL I did today on my lunch at work. I took video of me practicing mermish noises too.
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidNerenia View Post
    Fairly certain this is ALL I did today on my lunch at work. I took video of me practicing mermish noises too.
    Haha I practiced while watching and in between videos the other day too! Lol
    That awkward moment when someone says mermaids aren't real... And I'm standing right next to them...

<3 I also go by
    Mermaid Myra as that is my business persona

<strike>
    </strike>

Check out my new Instagram page! <3
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidmyraofficial/

Come visit me on FaceBook!
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidmyra/

Swim by my YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb7...J8Shs1b10Psjrg

~Formerly known as "Mermaid Nerin"~

I do both depending on the job. Parties and small scale events, talking is easier and the kids love asking questions.

Larger events, like renfaires, I prefer clicks and whistles. I've worked renfaires both speaking and only making noises, and the clicks and whistles make it easier to keep the line moving.
    It's also fun when you have a mertender who is creative with the translation. You can get really silly with the pantomime

Sent from my iPhone
    Ohio's First Mermaid.
    Owner of The Ohio Mermaids
    Instagram: @KateyMermaid
    Katey Mermaid on Facebook
    Katey Mermaid Website
    Ohio Mermaids Website

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I can purr like a cat... Does that count?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    If I may insert a question of my own and hijack the thread...I would like to know if any nonmerfolk like myself (hippocampus) make any sounds...like I am working on 'horse noises' and am getting good at a good horse scream, nicker, snort, etc...I probly wouldn't do this at a gig or anything without explanation. But out and about I do, just messing around. Of course you get crazy looks but that isn't anything I'm not used to.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    noises?

(Formerly known as Æolius)

My mermate Weasley and I actually use American Sign Language. Our mertender, Indiana, is mostly deaf, and Weasley works in the deaf Ed department of a local school, so when we all started dating they taught me how to sign. Makes it WAY easier to communicate in the water, either at the local river or at an event. Plus Indiana is way better with kids than me and that way I can continue being my shy self while he translates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to be a silent character that only communicates with music (like Twig!) But I tend to work alone and worry about being overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    noises?

how did I know this would be in here
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidNerenia View Post
    Any special tips on how?

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I can help those who want to make whistles and chirps and clicks !

There's this special kind of invisible bird whistle. It's used by a super popular Furry, called Telephone the Angel Dragon!
    http://originalbirdwhistles.com/

I'm going to be using it for my gigs, especially since I'll have an orca tail!

It goes on your tounge and, though it takes practice, makes effortless whistles and noises!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

(Are pro mers in training okay to respond here?)
    Having done other character stuff for a couple years now before getting into mermaiding, I prefer talking a lot. Every time I've been a silent mascot type character I've been attacked by kids and not able to tell them to stop or get help right away. Not the best thing when the most recent incident involved a violent child with a sharpened wooden stick.

That being said if making cute dolphin noises becomes possible for me, I'm definitely adding that wherever possible! Love adding little in-character quirks, like speaking the odd bit of Gaelic as Merida.

I tend to swim in secret, and while doing it, i've seen some curious children try to get a glimpse on me.

There's one time where i was putting a tail while on a dock's stairs that led to the ocean, and after i put it on and looked to my left, there was a kid just staring at me and my tail, speechless. I smiled, waved, and jumped in the water. He ran to his parents to tell them he saw a mermaid XD (Which they quickly ignored). But yeah, i like the silent type mer.
    The world sees us as Merfolk
    We see ourselves as a Pod, as a family
    We live to swim

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    I used to love doing creature work for Halloween so I have a fairly big repertoire of weird noises i can make (From predators clickks, to fox trills to downright WTF noises XD) I used to talk to my bro and dad underwater during scuba or snorkelling with a high squeeeeeeee noise (like orcas) so we kept track of one another and where we were (not done it in years it's been forever since I went swimming with them XD)

Only just strated the whole mermaidy thing, but it's an interesting thought.
    Other than SINGING EVERYTHING IN RHYMES XD

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Great Lakes

Good idea for making noises instead of talking. I have a speech problem (been doing speech all my life, i was just born like this), and I was thinking I could do something other than just speaking, maybe a bit of sign language. But making dolphin noises or something like that is a really good idea!
    Last edited by Mermaid-Avalon; 01-22-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Mermaid Avalon

Working Hard to Make the World a Better Place

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    I can help those who want to make whistles and chirps and clicks !

There's this special kind of invisible bird whistle. It's used by a super popular Furry, called Telephone the Angel Dragon!
    http://originalbirdwhistles.com/

I'm going to be using it for my gigs, especially since I'll have an orca tail!

It goes on your tounge and, though it takes practice, makes effortless whistles and noises!
    I've played with these for my steapmunk robot Byrdie, and they're really fun to mess with once you get the hang of using them to produce clear sounds. Drove both my roommate and parakeets bonkers in the process! I think it took me about three sessions to find where it worked for me, since everyone's mouth is shaped differently. Right behind the teeth seemed to work best for me when it came to projecting past a mask. Fair warning though is they are very, VERY LOUD when using full force, but you can get a somewhat quieter warble out of them just by playing around with different methods.

A good tip when using them for extended periods though - keep the reed moist. It can be as simple as licking it or flipping it around, but it keeps the whistle sounding crisp versus going flat as it dries. You also want to keep that area of the mouth moist as well, since it doesn't feel good having a dry part of your mouth from the channeled whistling.