Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Fancy Fish Fashions: silicone flukes/fins for tails and fancy beaded swim tops

Have you ever thought about making your own tail but the idea of making a scale sheet was WAY TOO MUCH EFFORT? (I can sympathize, having just made one. Yeah. SO MUCH EFFORT!! )

Now available! Fancy Fish Fashions silicone scale sheets! Complete with embedded power mesh. You pick the length and width you want, and I'll make it for you. Currently available in one color only, although that may change in the future. The top four inches was left smooth if you'd like a smooth waistline.

10% off all scale sheet orders during the month of July. (And yes, you can still use your Mernetwork MERNET15 discount code, too.) Check them out here!

(Psst...how does one share pictures here from instagram?) Link to the picture
    Last edited by Dancing Fish; 07-01-2019 at 01:02 AM.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fish View Post
    Have you ever thought about making your own tail but the idea of making a scale sheet was WAY TOO MUCH EFFORT? (I can sympathize, having just made one. Yeah. SO MUCH EFFORT!! )

Now available! Fancy Fish Fashions silicone scale sheets! Complete with embedded power mesh. You pick the length and width you want, and I'll make it for you. Currently available in one color only, although that may change in the future. The top four inches was left smooth if you'd like a smooth waistline.

10% off all scale sheet orders during the month of July. (And yes, you can still use your Mernetwork MERNET15 discount code, too.) Check them out here!

FINTASTIC IDEA! Best of luck in your new venture!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    What is the longest you can make? I have an extended monofin, and it needs a long tail skin.
    And what is the widest you can make?
    And yes, nice offer.

Edit: I see in your shop its "nearly 3 feet by 5 feet". Do I have that right?
    Edit 2: to link an image put [ img]before the link and [/ img] after, both without the added space.
    Last edited by Merman Storm; 07-01-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    What is the longest you can make? I have an extended monofin, and it needs a long tail skin.
    And what is the widest you can make?
    And yes, nice offer.

Edit: I see in your shop its "nearly 3 feet by 5 feet". Do I have that right?
    Edit 2: to link an image put [ img]before the link and [/ img] after, both without the added space.
    That is correct! The top four inches are smooth, and the total usable length is 59 inches (55” without the smooth bit). I can make the sheets any size rectangle you like within the 3’ x 5’ limit. The sample sheet I made is HUGE! Nearly as tall as I am!

Also considering whether anyone would like thinner sheets pre-glued to neoprene or scuba knit. Or sheets created already in tail shapes (thinking the customer would send an outline to guide me). The latter would be sold by final weight.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

I love how you are selling scale sheets for those of us looking into making our own tails

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I've been talking about it for years! I finally manged to do it. Now I'm thinking about making another one. With sculpted scales this time. I'm insane.
    Follow me on Facebook

Good evening Ma'am. If i order the scale sheet, fins, how long does it take for the silicon to "age" before i can no longer paint it? weeks months? I was thinking of ordering, but shipping outside of the US might take a long while.

That's a great question! Short answer: I'm not sure.

Long answer: The representative from Smooth on told me silicone should be painted as soon as possible, but I also know that many tail makers successfully repaint tails that are years old. There's a list of solvents you can use to clean and sort of "reopen" the pores in silicone that has been aged. I would suggest trying to paint a small section, let it cure, and see how easily it peels off before you break out the solvents. (I will have to look up what they are...acetone is one of them, and perhaps naptha?) The other advice is to use the psycho paint from Smooth on because the formula is slightly different from (and stickier than) regular Dragon skin.
    Follow me on Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Hi Again.
    I made a cloth tail for my Lunocet to see how long it would have to be. I also compared it to my Spellbound length. Conclusion: I need a scale sheet 64 inches long. Also, I prefer that the scales go all the way to the top. This means your sheet is short by 8 inches. ( I am 6 feet tall. I measure 43 inches waist to floor, then need 11 inches to cover my feet, and another 10 inches to get to the end of the monofin. ) Question: Do you think it would be reasonable for me to glue on an extra 8 inch segment at the end? This would be at the extended monofin part, and the added segment would be about 10 inches wide.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

That's a great question! Short answer: I'm not sure.

Long answer: The representative from Smooth on told me silicone should be painted as soon as possible, but I also know that many tail makers successfully repaint tails that are years old. There's a list of solvents you can use to clean and sort of "reopen" the pores in silicone that has been aged. I would suggest trying to paint a small section, let it cure, and see how easily it peels off before you break out the solvents. (I will have to look up what they are...acetone is one of them, and perhaps naptha?) The other advice is to use the psycho paint from Smooth on because the formula is slightly different from (and stickier than) regular Dragon skin.
    thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
    i found this though, but not sure if it applies to Dragon skin silicone.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Silicone

I have seen posts as well from the bigger tailmaking companies offering repaints, so there has to be away.

i have your shop on etsy Favorited and have been daydreaming about the things i want to order. Soon, just setting aside some money. Adulting is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Hi Again.
    I made a cloth tail for my Lunocet to see how long it would have to be. I also compared it to my Spellbound length. Conclusion: I need a scale sheet 64 inches long. Also, I prefer that the scales go all the way to the top. This means your sheet is short by 8 inches. ( I am 6 feet tall. I measure 43 inches waist to floor, then need 11 inches to cover my feet, and another 10 inches to get to the end of the monofin. ) Question: Do you think it would be reasonable for me to glue on an extra 8 inch segment at the end? This would be at the extended monofin part, and the added segment would be about 10 inches wide.
    Argh! Doggone it, I was hoping it'd be long enough and wide enough to accommodate any request. Grr. I am not sure what the extension would look like, let me see if I have two pieces I can lay over each other. With some creative cutting and gluing you could probably hide the seams!
    Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn.Thought View Post
    thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
    i found this though, but not sure if it applies to Dragon skin silicone.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Silicone

I have seen posts as well from the bigger tailmaking companies offering repaints, so there has to be away.

i have your shop on etsy Favorited and have been daydreaming about the things i want to order. Soon, just setting aside some money. Adulting is hard.
    I've been adulting half my life and I still haven't really gotten the hang of it. I'm good at faking it.
    According to several more knowledgeable folks who replied to my question, you can prepare the silicone by first giving it a bath in warm soapy (dish soap) water, drying thoroughly, and then rubbing a bit of isopropyl alcohol over it and letting that dry. The paint should still stick even after four years (according to someone who repainted a used tail).
    Follow me on Facebook