Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fancy Fish Fashions: silicone flukes/fins for tails and fancy beaded swim tops

MUCH EXCITE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Yay!

It's live! I'm really happy with how they turned out on my personal tail (the blue one). I'm taking it for a swim this afternoon.
    Name:  fin fun.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  159.7 KB
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod lynsea's Avatar
    THIS IS GENIUS!!!! I would definitely be interested in this. I would love to make an individual scale tale mainly because they take up so little room (i.e. no giant scale sheet molds to deal with) but the fluke was always the drawback but this is the solution!
    “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.”
    Anaïs Nin

How did you attach the fins to the fabric tail? I just purchased a magical and would love to add some extra things to it!

I used Dragon Skin but you can also use Sil Poxy. I've tested those, but I'm also reasonably certain you can use aquarium silicone adhesive or even 100% GE silicone caulk too. I like the Dragon Skin because it doesn't REEK of vinegar. The sil poxy I used on the fins still stinks two days later.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

So you just like glued them to the sides of the fabric wit the silicone?

Your fluke is beautiful

Not quite. First I wrapped the monofin in saran wrap, because I want to be able to remove it later (it's cracked!). Then I put the monofin back into the tail to stretch it out properly. Then I smeared dragon skin all over the back of the spandex and mashed it right onto the bottom fluke. Then I smeared silicone onto the spandex on the top portion (with the foot pockets) and sides of the silicone, leaving the bottom of the fin unglued (so I can still take the monofin out), and pinned everything together until the silicone hardened. So it's still open on the bottom. Later, when I've replaced the insert, I'll add dabs of silicone to close the bottom, but I'll leave most of it unglued so water can get out easily.

Thanks, Geffy!
    Follow me on Facebook

This is so fantastic. I really didn't know about sequin tails until very recently seeing one on a tail making thread, and I loved the idea of a sequin tail, but thought about how the fluke must be vulnerable to damage. This is SUCH a cool and easy way to blend different styles together, and I really love the silicone fluke with a sequin tail. I love the large sequins, just- love, love all of it.
    Really neat.

Thanks! Rowan loves it too!

(The picture
    Name:  sequin tail ver 1.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  172.7 KB

I have a video of my daughter wearing just the body and falling on the knees, then rolling around over the hardwood floor...so far the sequins are holding up well! She's going to do her best to destroy it so we can see how durable they are!
    Follow me on Facebook

This thread just gets better every time I come back on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Store Blog

Fancy Fish has five styles of hip/ankle and dorsal fins, for embellishing mermaid tails! You can sew them onto fabric (see pic above) or glue them onto silicone. Currently offered in one color, two-tone, or frosted (and I will try to match the colors of your tail).

Name:  dorsal fin.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  13.5 KBName:  monarch fins.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  30.3 KBName:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  12.9 KBName:  catalpa fins.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  13.2 KBName:  white fin.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  10.2 KB
    Follow me on Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Wonderful work! Some really innovative stuff here!

Mmmmf

Omg

So amazing

Sent from my E2306 using Tapatalk
    Store Blog

Lookie! A new thing! Just a prototype, edges not yet finished, but it turned out well! I totally want to get some scale-printed spandex and try again.

Name:  sleeves.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  56.9 KB
    Follow me on Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid_Sarina's Avatar

Follow Mermaid_Sarina on Tumblr
    OH my goodness! I just stalked through your entire thread and shop and I love your work! I also have a question regarding sending my own tail to you for a fluke and fin upgrade! On your etsy it just said fabric tails but I was wondering wether i'd be able to send a neoprene tail to you and have a silicone fluke and fins put onto it! I'm looking to upgrade from fabric to using neoprene and your flukes are so pretty!!!!
    Last edited by Mermaid_Sarina; 10-06-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    Sarina Dreamtide

Thanks! I'm sure that would work. As long as the fluke portion of the neoprene isn't painted, I'm sure the silicone will stick just fine. If it is painted, you'll have to handle it carefully-- I can't guarantee how well it will stick over the long run. I haven't tried gluing silicone to neoprene myself, but I know other tailmakers do it all the time! I also recommend a little ruffle to hide the join; I don't have anything fancy to hide that transition yet.
    Follow me on Facebook

Ahhh those bracers!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Definitely like those. The color makes me think of mer armor.

Those bracers omg

Sent from my E2306 using Tapatalk
    Store Blog