Thread: Making props!

Making props!

Hi all! So I've always wanted to make some merprops incase I ever need them and me being me, I decided that there isn't a better time than now (especially because I plan to be at an Earth day celebration as a mermaid and I have to work on big projects while at home because my dorm doesn't have the space)

So here are the things I really want to make (all of these projects will be worked on when I have extra pearls (aka money) to spend and extra time to work on it. (and if the weather allows since it's been in the triple digits lately, supposed to be 120 tomorrow )

- A mermaid bench for photo opportunities and for me to sit my mermaid butt.
    - seahorse props to go beside the bench or at the opening to my "lagoon" both light weight and movable
    - Mermaid lagoon/pond sign
    - fake jellyfish to hang from the ceiling of the tent (even if I eventually move to using a small pool as my pond, it's necessary in AZ to have a tent for shade anyways so I'll always have a tent no matter what)

And here are my inspirations for the projects.

the bench:

Jellyfish:

Since I don't know how often I'll be using them or how many people I will have helping me set up and take down (I currently only have my 1 mertender, aka my fiance, and with just him and me I know we'll have to stick to the minimum) so I'm not going to be breaking the bank with these. I'll be attempting to create them in the cheapest and most cost effective way and with the lightest materials so that if needed one person would only be needed to move one item instead of an army. Thankfully I have experience making theater sets so those skills will come into play with these.

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    May I share a couple of props that I want to make? I have little skills, and these seemed easy enough for me:

Scale Bra:
    Name:  scale bra.jpg
Views: 3483
Size:  83.6 KB
    Image tutorial

Trident:
    Name:  mermaid trident.jpg
Views: 6709
Size:  72.0 KB

Momo, the jellyfish lamps are something that I had seen and wanted to try. They look so darn cute!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    I like the lantern Jellyfish, those are cheap and can use some crepe paper streamer stuff, which I don't think will break the bank.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

Making props!

Hi MoMo!

I actually thought of you when I realized my fake rock I use for mermaid meet and greets might be something maybe you can start with as well.

I love your inspirational photos listed above and figured maybe you could start with something kinda what I found to begin with.

This was actually given to me by the children's museum and was apart of a dinosaur exhibit. If you maybe go to a few zoos or museums in Arizona maybe you can ask about any old exhibit rocks or props you can buy. If you mention being a mermaid maybe they might be nice enough to give it to you too a lot of exhibits change or are seasonal so maybe you might be able to find something.

Figured I'd share incase any other mermaids are in the hunt for something different to use as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, I haven't thought of using hollow garden rocks until you post those pictures. You know, the kind of rocks that are hollow to hide inside stuff that is on the ground of gardens, like faucets or the like:

Name:  MockRock.jpg
Views: 3225
Size:  70.8 KB

I'll keep the idea in mind.

Haha nice! Now I know where to buy more just incase thanks.

I've seen those before... I guess I was making it a bit more complicated by going to museums when I can just get that! Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness! So many good ideas! Momo, are you going to make them out of paper mache?

Amapele's Shellphone

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lieke's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Lieke on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Lieke's Youtube Channel
    I love your I inspiration! I'd love to make one of these Mermaid chairs. They are so cute!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk
    Follow my mermaid journey on Instagram and Facebook <3

Add a Splash of Magic to your mermaid-wardrobe, with beautiful sequins, silicone shells, mermaid tops and tails: shop here

Bewaren
    Bewaren

The hollow rocks are actually what i'll be making the base of the bench out of (using a stool and some of the fake rock tutorials i've found because i want ths top to be flat)

I'll be usinf expanding foam and chicken wire for most of the bench and seahorse pieces and for the jellies i'll be using a pPer lantern and ribbon

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I love your ideas Momo! And I might just have to make some of those jellyfish lanterns. They're adorable!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

I'm just commenting so I can stalk this thread

I love the giant sea shell bench such a cool idea! Awesome mermaid props!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    Sooooo much inspiration...I was just looking for a rock/bounder perch for my mermaid events last week. Using fake garden rocks hadn't even occurred to me.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    Ooh.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    Momo, you must be a force of nature. You have such amazing ideas! I hope this works out for you.
    I've been thinking about pool noodle coral and balloon bubbles.
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

I have never seen those fake rocks before! That is such a weird thing! But it looks like a good idea for an authentic 'mermaid from the ocean' look.

Have you considered using an office chair? I was thinking about this, because it's so difficult to move around in a tail. I thought perhaps instead of a mertender carrying me, I could be pushed in a moveable chair like an office chair, painted with a nice giant clam shell design and some fabric to cover the bottom area.
    At first I thought of a wagon or trolley but that won't look glamorous at all

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    I actually tried using an office chair outside on a few different terrains and was almost dumped on my face lol. If anyone is going to do that then I suggest on smooth concrete only.

Those are awesome ideas! Great imagination

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

The jellyfish lanterns are super easy and super cheap! I made a couple for my stepdaughters room. Got everything at the dollar store for under $10 and used a YouTube tutorial.
    I dream of a day when they may rise above the billows to drag down in their reeking talons the remnants of puny, war-exhausted mankind --of a day when the land shall sink, and the dark ocean floor shall ascend amidst universal pandemonium.