Thread: Mermaiding Through College?

Mermaiding Through College?

I have recently gotten my first tail and absolutely love swimming with it! Its a dream of mine to work as a mermaid but in August I leave for college and will be living in the dorms. Should I put this dream and my swimming on hold? I don't know where I would store my tail while living at the dorms. Is there any advice or anyone who has experienced a similar predicament?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I did it. So did Mermaid Nessie on my team! She posted neat behind the scenes photos of how she stored her tail on her FB page, you should message her!

I do it,heck i even started making my tail in my dorm! Istored my tail under my bed (and my fluke is HUGE) (photo for size reference)

I kept it folded( so the body folded over the fluke) and it fot just fine,i even had w large totes and one ofthose plastic drawers under the bed with it. I kept my bra on the end of my bed

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Did either of you feel judged by other students? One reason I love the Mer community is how accepting everyone is, but I'm worried that in college people will make fun of me for it........

Storage: I didn't mermaid in college, but a lot of students would hang their bikes inside their rooms (to prevent theft). You could try hanging it on a mount designed for bikes, or putting it under your bed as Momo suggested.

Acceptance: I actually found college students much more accepting of weird stuff than high school teens and even a lot of working adults. Although my experience might be skewed: I went to CU-Boulder, where weird is the ideal

Quote Originally Posted by Becoming_A_Mermaid View Post
    Did either of you feel judged by other students? One reason I love the Mer community is how accepting everyone is, but I'm worried that in college people will make fun of me for it........
    College students don't care. Most of us are soul less anyway lol. I literally wore a zebra onesie for 2 weeks and no one bat an eye,I've seen people dressed as ghosts going to class,people walking to class with blankets and their pillow,people half dressed. No one care about anything but food in college lol

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

AND! Look at it this way! You will be THEE Mermaid on campus! Probably become famous!!! Have fun in college... but not too much fun!! LOL

I swim as a mermaid at my husband's college and so far everything has been good. I even ended up in someone's snapchat as the highlight of their day. As for looking odd on campus, I used to wear my corset, my wigs, huge drawn on tattoos, etc. No one cares, and I actually became well known for the tattoos. XD
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I actually have had 80% or more of my college classmates think it was really cool. I wouldn't worry

As others have said, in college people are much more accepting. Since I am a graphic design major I am usually around a bunch of artists who really don't care because everyone is into random hobbies and we just don't think much of it. I have a friend who will come in her Lolita clothes to college, she will wear bright wigs, etc. For Halloween I wore a velociraptor mask to class. You don't feel judged in college like you do in high school.

There are some mers who are very well known at their college for being THE college mermaid. I think one of the Florida mers has been in her college paper with a photo of her in her tail. Other mers say that people they don't know at college walk up to them asking if they are the college mermaid they have heard about. I haven't gotten well known like that, but it would be pretty fun to get known at your college for being a mermaid.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I was known as the campus mermaid! People started treating me like a scavenger hunt in a way lol, find the mermaid! Everyone was so supportive of it and found it really awesome!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver