Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Shell Top Turtorial

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod

My Shell Top Turtorial

Just a quick tutorial for those of you wanting to make a mermaid top.......

Materials:
    faux OR real ion paw shells, wireless bra (nude), faux pearls beads, faux crystal beads, E6000 glue,needle and thread and Rust-Oleum crystal clear enamelIf you can NOT find a nude colored bra use the following; tan liquid fabric dye, bucket, spoon, and water. (opt.) stuffing

Dying the bra)
    Let's begin by dying your wireless bra. Using the tan fabric dye, hot water, a bucket and a spoon. Start by getting hot water from the sink into the bucket, you will need less than a quarter of a bucket. Next, add a cap full of the dye and toss the bra in. Let the bra sit in the dye until it is the perfect shade. Once your bra is the right color, remove it from the bucket and hang it to dry. (after it is less than damp you CAN toss it in the dryer.)

Step 1)
    Begin by decorating your top. You can use beads, faux sea stars, faux sand dollars, aquarium plants for seaweed, and so much more the their is no limit to creativity! To apply your accessories, use E6000 glue. Don't forget to come up with a design plan before applying your accessories! Sketch it!

Name:  015.JPG
Views: 1248
Size:  59.3 KB

Step 2) Now it's time to attatch your shells to your bra! Simply stuff the cup part of your bra with stuffing if it is not padded, then apply the shells using E6000 glue. Let the glue dry and try it out! Does it work? Good

Step 3) Applying more accessories to the rest of the top, not just the shells, really makes your top shine! If you are going to attatch beads to your bra, simply sew them on with nude colored thread and a needle!

Name:  031.JPG
Views: 1154
Size:  43.1 KB

Step 4) Enjoy your top!

Name:  025.JPG
Views: 1006
Size:  52.9 KB
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 02-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Pod of Cali Neria's Avatar
    Really pretty, Aqua! I just might have to try this out myself........

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ Yea! ThanQ! I hope you do! It was really well worth it
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Great job! One question though- I was wondering about how the shells are attached to the bra, cause there was a thread (link) where a bunch of people advised against using hot glue to hold them on. Have you tested it in the water yet?

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    I think that the hot glue didn't work in the situations in that thread because it was holding together two non-porous items. Hot glue should work fine here because one of the surfaces is fabric, although it still doesn't beat super glue.

Chesapeake Pod
    Well the top was never specified for the water, I never really got to try it out

I do not recommend using hot glue if you plan on swimming in it. Even if it is fabric to shell, it will still come off. The glue has nothing to grip on the shell, even if you rough up the surface.

Chesapeake Pod
    As I stated before, I never got to try it in the water so it's not specified to be swum in. I do however know that someone suggested aquarium glue

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I used E6000 at the recommendation of many mers on the community for my top that I made for a gig in January. I was in the water for HOURS for pics/film and have used it since a few more times, and the shells are still stuck to my bra solid. So it would seem that E6000 is the glue to use if you intend on taking this top in the water.

Chesapeake Pod
    Ok! do u mind if I change the hot glue to E6000?? Thanx

Love all the blue and pearl coloured beads! Great job mermaid Aqua. The turtorial was is really helpful.

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ ThanQ

I have a cute suggestion! If you want to make your top not look as much like a bra, you can cover around it with plastic plants and things or netting which also looks great

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    I love that idea!

Chesapeake Pod
    I was going to but this was my first top so I just went with a simple design

Thank you for this tutorial!
    I should try that someday

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ I wish u luck

Don't use hot glue. I already tried this out with more than horrifying results. Try epoxy. That stuff will NEVER come off. ^^

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ ThanQ!