Thread: Freediving for Merfolk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Freediving for Merfolk

Check out my latest blog post on Freediving for Merfolk!

http://rainamermaid.weebly.com/blog/...ng-for-merfolk

Great information, thanks! I didn't know what some of those freediving disciplene abbreviations meant so that was very helpful to include the table describing each.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

right? Now that I am training it's like... A WHOLE NEW WORLD lol

That was a great article Raina! Thank you for posting it.

Thats an awesome article, thank you! I am starting freediving classes in Montreal and WOW, I love it, but have questions about integrating certain mermaid tricks. Raina, how would flooding sinuses work with freediving? Is it possible? I would love to make it work, however I am afraid of water going up my eustachian tubes after a certain depth, or inhaling water when I get the contractions at 1:30... What do you think?

See for me I dont have any reason to go to deep so I don't have to worry that much about it. I have a pair of clear nose plugs I stealthily put on and pull off for flips when I perform in aquariums. But I just dont have a reason to do super deep. Especially with my bad ears!

Thank you Raina! I suppose the two may just not be compatible...Thank you for the tip, ill practice to see if I can also stealthily use a nose clip...

Quote Originally Posted by Dame Melusine View Post
    I am starting freediving classes in Montreal and WOW, I love it, but have questions about integrating certain mermaid tricks. Raina, how would flooding sinuses work with freediving? Is it possible? I would love to make it work, however I am afraid of water going up my eustachian tubes after a certain depth, or inhaling water when I get the contractions at 1:30... What do you think?
    Hi Dame Melusine,

I wouldn't recommend floding your sinuses. IME it leads to bad things.

If I'm not wearing a mask the usual way I stop flooding up the nose during flips or when swimming upside down is to expell a little stream of air through the mpse to prevent water coming in. Of course, this reduces your underwater endurance. The other way is nose plugs or a nose clip, which is what freedivers who do line diving use when they are not wearing a mask.

When you're just going down the ordinary wayusing a dolphin kick, there's usually no problem, your lungs balance the rising air pressure so that no water comes in. I'm sure a lot of your questions will be answered during your freediving course.

If you want to ask really technical questions and get advice from Canadian divers, you could consider joining the DeeperBlue ( https://www.deeperblue.com/ ) forums https://forums.deeperblue.com/