Thread: How Banning Mermaid Tails is the Wrong Mindset, and Puts Down Girls

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

How Banning Mermaid Tails is the Wrong Mindset, and Puts Down Girls

While banning mermaid tails affects all demographics who enjoy it, it directly affects girls who already have a much higher chance of stopping physical activity, by taking away an activity they enjoy. Banning mermaid tails, really is a feminist issue when it places girls who enjoy it at risk, along with all others, and places even more limitations on them. This headline, ought to grab some attention.

http://rainamermaid.weebly.com/blog/how-banning-mermaid-tails-is-the-wrong-mindset-and-puts-down-girls

Hopefully this resource helps everyone, please share.

Great article! If you don't mind, I'd like to share it on my cosplay page.

Please share away. It's my goal to make it viral enough that it comes up on the front page of google when searching the topic. that way future news articles will find it

I'm definitely sharing this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

A good read. Part of the issue with girls and physical fitness is that girls are taught by peers, adults, media that being Athletic isn't beautiful. They're afraid boys will be scared or like them less because they look buff. Girls eat less and work out less because eating a lot is also viewed as unattractive. While the feminist issue is important, the glass ceiling limitation was almost distracting in the article. Instead of the pay raise, it should be associated with strength, and core power, and how mermaids (who have to be athletic, muscular and powerful) in nature have always been a thing of beauty- meaning that teaching a girl to be a mermaid means physical, mental, and emotional strength later on in life. (Along with showing them supreme popular athletes and letting girls know that there is NO FEAR in being a female athlete). It teaches them to rely on themselves while working closely together (a pod is a family!) and that they can do anything. The pay example was oddly off with the rest of the topic- the sports theme could have been kept for a more powerful story. Like: Men get more recognition in sports. Mens Soccer, Basketball, lacrosse, and golf all get national broadcasting while comparative women's sports get hardly any recognition. This means that girls are taught from a younger age that there is no value in them pursuing athletics throughout high school and college.

I'm sorry for the critique, but it was just the opinion I had!! I do think that the article is majorly important! As a Girl Scout Leader, Camp Counselor and peer counselor in college, equality and opportunity are huge in the world.
    My heart is pierced by cupid
    I disdain all glittering gold
    there's nothing can console me
    but my jolly sailor bold
    ~*Some Sort Of Siren of the Stairwell*~

I'm not sure how you got that from the article honestly, pay raise was Literally a minor example (two words) talking about the long term issues in women's sports...

The entire point is that the reasons behind banning the fins, are not sufficient enough to outweigh the benefits, the feminism aspect is one paragraph, backed up by the fact that for a MULTITUDE of reasons, girls dont have the same access to physical fitness as boys. So we are taking an activity that they love despite all the barriers and insecurities they want to do it, and we are taking it away from them.

I guarantee you, if I titled this article anything else, no one would have even picked up on "feminism" or had any "criticisms" it would of been just another article on the bans that no one would of read.

I was merely stating that the one line about pay (The men getting 100 vs. women getting 70) was the only issue I had in the entire article. That I supported the article. That I liked the article. The way you word things is absolutely beautiful.
    but my jolly sailor bold

I guess this confused me:

While the feminist issue is important, the glass ceiling limitation was almost distracting in the article.
    Since it was two words. The only way it could be less distracting would be to have not mentioned it at all. Which I think would of taken away from the argument.

I was merely suggesting that continuing the examples of feminism in athletics would have been more in line than the issue of pay gaps. Sorry for the confusion <3
    but my jolly sailor bold

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Adrienne's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Adrienne on Facebook
    I know this is an old post.... but it puts down males who want to be mermaids/mermen as well. its not single sided.

Missing the point, read the actual article. There's a separate one for boys.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Last edited by AniaR; 12-22-2018 at 12:01 AM.