Thread: fabric cuttlefish tail

fabric cuttlefish tail

hiya! a couple years back, i made my little sister a fabric tail with cuttlefish ruffles, and i never got around to posting about it! it was sort of a last-minute project i made before going on vacation in the summer of 2014.... i made it in like, 3 days i think? speedy stuff...

[she wouldn't pose for pictures ]

it's made of black spandex with a turquoise foil coating, and the ruffles are made of stretch mesh [bought all of it from spandexworld]. the ruffles are actually a bit interesting- they're flounce ruffles! they were cut on a curve, not gathered. so they're very flowy in the water, but still seamless like a real cuttlefish! i got the idea based on the hyperbolic geometry sea creatures like coral, cuttlefish, and sea slugs are structured with, where a "straight line" is actually a curve. which... maybe doesn't make a ton of sense to say, but basically, it's one of these

they're the same shape! the ruffles are similar in structure to the ones real sea creatures have, so the look really organic in the water. unfortunately i don't have an underwater camera, but here's a couple pics of them on land...

i painted the fluke with jacquard lumiere paints, and heat-set it with a hair dryer. the paints didn't take well to the foil coating at all, but in my experience they are great on fabric that doesn't have a coating... still looked pretty cool tho

this is the finished tail about a year later.... as you can see, some of the paint is flaking off. understandable, considering the paint doesn't bond to foil and that thing has honestly taken a real beating, lol. still, it's held up a lot better than i thought it would! the fabric itself has been really wonderful- almost zero flaking, and still shiny even today after 2 years of use! the mesh has never frayed or torn at all, either, which is really excellent. i love the flowyness of stretch mesh too.... i highly recommend it

Woah if this was a rushed tail, I can't imagine how beautiful a non-rushed one by you would be! This tail is really beautiful, and I think this tail has the best side ruffles I have ever seen. I normally am not much of a ruffles fan, but I can tell from the photos the ruffles do appear to move out like a cuttlefish. The color scheme is really great as well. This is a very inspiring tail!

Welcome to Mernetwork by the way!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Those ruffles are BEAUTIFUL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I LOVE the design of this tail! <3 I didn't expect paint on that fabric to look so awesome but it has depth with the scale pattern behind it.

thank you guys!! i'll be going on vacation next week, so hopefully i can get some more pics and videos to post!

Gorgeous job on that! Both the ruffles and the painting is fantastic.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    That is such a cool idea with the flounced ruffles and your fluke paint job is gorgeous! Well done!

Despite what you said about the paint not taking, I absolutely love the paint job! The fluke is beautiful and the ruffles are sooo cute!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    The paint job you did is great, everyone's right if this is rushed it's really well done. Happy and relieved to see you're using the same paints I am to do mine.

dang it, looks like all my images got eaten! oh, well. if you still wanted to see this tail, i'll post the pics i still have.

Wow I love the color combo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sent from My Shell Phone Mermaid Auquita