Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel

Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

So people of MerNetwork Land I've decided to go ahead and start a thread about my extended tail project, this will be a slow moving process cause i attend college and work so bare with me, for now I'm stocking up on clay and other materials except silicone.

[Yes my good Merfolk I know how impractical these tails are for the average Mer and that there way too heavy for land and all that but im still making it. Im sure ill be safe I am a certified lifeguard and licensed open water scuba diver plus i practiced free diving most of my life, i lived in an island surrounded by the sea so water sports were the best option to escape the tropical heat.]

How I plan to make my tail:
    Its nothing we don't know already, basically like the H2O tail making process, tail will be sculpted on top of a fiberglass cast of my legs with added extension piece to sculpt full tail, fluke will be sculpted separately, double mold of tail body and fluke.

After the tail body is cured and made one piece its time for scaling, individual scales will be added in the PearleMae method but without the powermesh backing because the tail body is silicone i think the powermesh is not necessary bevause silicone bonds with itself.

The first one will be a simple dark to light blue color scheme like the mako merman tails only because i feel safer swimming in the ocean with a camouflaged tail the secund will have vibrant yellow to red stripes and blue body.

Here are some pics;
    Name:  20160713_121120-1-800x355.jpg
Views: 4889
Size:  35.1 KB

The purple tail is for my mom that wont be extended and the first is my original color scheme...Name:  20160713_123539-800x450.jpg
Views: 4837
Size:  50.5 KB

Then for the extension mechanism, i have designed around 5 ways of creating a functional extension but I've decided on one, the one ill be using is basically a triangular footplate to avoid the downward angle of the back of the feet and keep the tail straight if y'all look at my sketch maby y'all can understand what im talking about, so the top part od the triangle is one piece from footplate to monofin tip. Here have a look...Name:  20160706_110412-1.jpg
Views: 4842
Size:  118.1 KB

I'll post lots of pictures of the progress for all to seeb wish me luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

I'm so excited to see how this all turns out!!!!! Good luck!!!!

Ahh I'm excited you finally created a thread, I'm definitely following your process...I wish you good luck with this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Pod of New England
    So i started to make the real size base drawing of my fluke or caudal fin its looking pretty big 24L by 38W inches im thinking it needs to be big to look proportional with the extended tail.Name:  20160719_221308-1-1280x764.jpg
Views: 4516
Size:  143.4 KB

Heres my fluke design.Name:  20160714_224516-1.jpg
Views: 4874
Size:  87.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 08:35 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

I love the shape you chose

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    This looks good. love your designs, what are you going to make your foot pocket out of? for your triangular piece i would suggest you create it in fiberglass. I have used fiberglass for some attempts on my tail. depending on how thick you make it will depend on how it feels in the water. it will not shatter at all, which is great for things that require high performance. I hope your extension works. I started my tail 7 years ago, and i'm finally on my last attempt of the extension. i will state this to you though. its not as easy as you might think to create. I wish you luck.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    This looks good. love your designs, what are you going to make your foot pocket out of? for your triangular piece i would suggest you create it in fiberglass. I have used fiberglass for some attempts on my tail. depending on how thick you make it will depend on how it feels in the water. it will not shatter at all, which is great for things that require high performance. I hope your extension works. I started my tail 7 years ago, and i'm finally on my last attempt of the extension. i will state this to you though. its not as easy as you might think to create. I wish you luck.
    I've never worked with fiberglass could you give me some tips? Plus i was thinking of the triangular footplate like a three piece set the blue for support and the brown one single piece of lexan all the way to monofin fin.Name:  20160722_204550-640x360.jpg
Views: 4515
Size:  22.4 KBName:  20160722_204328-600x1067.jpg
Views: 4376
Size:  49.9 KBName:  20160706_110412-1-800x379.jpg
Views: 4446
Size:  36.8 KB
    In addition Ive been thinking of making a (double shoe) made of clealr resin molded in silicone. Basically its a footpoket the triangular footplate base would be encrusted into the clear resin and scrued to secure in place.
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Also I finished the real size base drawing of my fluke shape! I hope I can start sculpting soon but with all the college assignments and my part time job I dont have the time, not even to just sit down and draw my friend some tail design sketches.

He it is: I think its too big might cut it down about 10 inches.
    Name:  20160721_134029-768x1365-480x853.jpg
Views: 4351
Size:  59.6 KB

And here is the original sketch:Name:  20160714_224516-1-600x375.jpg
Views: 4323
Size:  31.0 KB
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

It seems like the extended tail sketches tend toward the smaller flukes, but I gotta say-
    I love a big fluke
    cool project!!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Marinus View Post
    I've never worked with fiberglass could you give me some tips? Plus i was thinking of the triangular footplate like a three piece set the blue for support and the brown one single piece of lexan all the way to monofin fin.Name:  20160722_204550-640x360.jpg
Views: 4515
Size:  22.4 KB

I used fiberglass bandage with a fiberglass resin or harder. bandages are extremely strong and will not crack, shatter etc under pressure. ive never used the fiberglass matting. is the triangle simply designed for the rod to be attacked to? if so I would just do the triangle in one piece.

Name:  20160722_204328-600x1067.jpg
Views: 4376
Size:  49.9 KBName:  20160706_110412-1-800x379.jpg
Views: 4446
Size:  36.8 KB
    In addition Ive been thinking of making a (double shoe) made of clealr resin molded in silicone. Basically its a footpoket the triangular footplate base would be encrusted into the clear resin and scrued to secure in place.
    your foot pocket must be low cut profile. in order to get your feet into it. applying these tails is different to a standard monofin. meaning you can't just pull your feet into the pockets. this is my personal experience. do you mean you will make your pocket out of resin or silicone? you say molded in silicone which im getting a mental picture of the pocket actually being silicone.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

I mean it makes sense to do a silicone molded footpocket, but you have to think about attaching it to your footplate, if you screwed bolts through that, you'd tear the silicone most likely, you can make the footpocket out of fabric and glue + screw that to the footplate, that way it stays put, you can add silicone on top of that, since silicone will stick to neoprene and neoprin, I haven't tested spandex..lycra should work since most neoprene is backed with lycra

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    I mean it makes sense to do a silicone molded footpocket, but you have to think about attaching it to your footplate, if you screwed bolts through that, you'd tear the silicone most likely, you can make the footpocket out of fabric and glue + screw that to the footplate, that way it stays put, you can add silicone on top of that, since silicone will stick to neoprene and neoprin, I haven't tested spandex..lycra should work since most neoprene is backed with lycra

Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    your foot pocket must be low cut profile. in order to get your feet into it. applying these tails is different to a standard monofin. meaning you can't just pull your feet into the pockets. this is my personal experience. do you mean you will make your pocket out of resin or silicone? you say molded in silicone which im getting a mental picture of the pocket actually being silicone.
    No im talking about (clear plastic resin)
    ThisName:  DSC00006.jpg
Views: 4610
Size:  105.4 KB

It will be cast inside a silicone mold to be a footpocket.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Ohhh..I understand, that's an interesting approach

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by merwandering View Post
    It seems like the extended tail sketches tend toward the smaller flukes, but I gotta say-
    I love a big fluke
    cool project!!
    Thank you Merwandering currently the size of my fluke design is 34 inces wide and 28 long i also love big flukes!
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Just to double check, you're using the Casting Resin for the mold or for the finished pocket? I'd be worried about using it as the finished pocket as the resin can shatter. It's mostly meant for jewelry type things, and I've cracked my fair few dropping them on concrete.

~Real photoshoot coming soon~

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCOS View Post
    Just to double check, you're using the Casting Resin for the mold or for the finished pocket? I'd be worried about using it as the finished pocket as the resin can shatter. It's mostly meant for jewelry type things, and I've cracked my fair few dropping them on concrete.
    Thank you for the tips JustCOS.Im thinking of using it as the footpocket lined with soft silicone inside. I hat thought about it braking thats why ill do some tests first.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Member Pod of Texas GulfMerman101's Avatar
    Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    Hi Merman Marinus,
    I was wondering where to find tubs of clear silicone?
    and Clear Flexible Urethane?

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfMerman101 View Post
    Hi Merman Marinus,
    I was wondering where to find tubs of clear silicone?
    and Clear Flexible Urethane?
    Im thinking maby you can make the tubes yourself and buy the urethane at Smooton.com
    Or if by tubes you mean the ones you buy at hardware stores you can get good ones at Wal-Mart
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

The tube you're referring to is probably caulking, I found a pretty good deal at lowes: http://m.lowes.com/pd/GE-10-1-oz-Cle...-Caulk/3078887
    I used this stuff to create my dorsal

Member Pod of Texas GulfMerman101's Avatar
    Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    Thanks, sooo i've checked Smooth On's Clear Urethanes, im probably most likely going to stick with Clear Flex 30, it seems to be the most flexible super strong clear urethane they have.
    Another Question for you Merman Marinus or any Mers is? How much should I need to supply myself to have enough for the Fluke, its going to be 3ft X 2ft, basically if you've ever seen the BTS on H2o or Mako Mermaids, that's what i'm going for? all they have is 1, 5,and 55 gallon units, for sure 55 is out of the question, but yeah?

Select a Product Below Mix Ratio By Weight Mix Ratio By Volume Hardness › Clear Flex® 30 100A:94B 1A:1B 30 A