Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz's H2o Style Silicone Mermaid Tail Process

Jazz's H2o Style Silicone Mermaid Tail Process

Hello. I've always loved mermaids and I made my first lycra mermaid tail when I was 8. I've always wanted to be a real mermaid and wanted a silicone mermaid tail. Finally I've decided to actually make one myself, and it's been an exciting process so far! I'm not secretive, so if I find any tips on tricks I will definitely share them or try to answer as many questions as possible. I will also be most likely asking many questions myself Anyways, I wanted to share what I've completed so far.
    This is my H20 style fluke. I used monster maker's clay. And behind that is my scale sheet which I may redo due to the craft foam (1mm) not rising enough to allow that awesome scale effect.
    Name:  IMG_1446.jpg
Views: 34340
Size:  114.7 KB

Here is a test of my scales. They came out pretty good, but my scales won't be thick enough. I used Shell Shock liquid plastic. My suggestion is to use a coat of acrylic spray, and then apply Mann's Ease Release 200. Let that dry for about 20-30 minutes, and then right before you add your Shell Shock apply a layer of Vaseline. I've seen many people have trouble because the foam sticks to the Shell Shock. To avoid that, I took my Shell Shock of the foam scales before it fully cured. Be careful doing this though, and wait until it's in a hard enough stage. You don't have to do this, but it definitely worked for me. For example, in this pic, the scales aren't fully cured yet.
    Name:  IMG_1533.jpg
Views: 5654
Size:  268.2 KB

This is a miniature fluke mold I tested with Shell Shock. I applied Ease Release 200 and Vaseline as release agents. I haven't cleaned it yet so there is still Monster Maker's Clay in the detail.
    Name:  IMG_1534.jpg
Views: 12477
Size:  136.6 KB

That's basically all my process so far. I have just ordered a trial size of Dragon Skin 10 Medium to test out my molds. As for my new scale sheet, instead of punching out thousands of circles, I just bought 20 packs of 1 1/2 inch. diameter sticky back soccer balls. http://www.craftsuppliesforless.com/...ckerpacks.html this is the page I ordered them from. I will keep everyone updated on my process. As for the design, I'm not completely copying the H2o style. Only for the fluke will I be using the same format. As for the colors, I plan on using a yellow, green, sea foam, aqua, Ice blue, and sea blue. I find this experience to be a lot of fun, and even though I am only 12 years old, I know I have the determination and passion to push myself until I accomplish my goal. I'll update as much as I can.
    Last edited by jazz2453; 07-04-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Ooooh! Fun times!!! I can't wait to see this!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Can't wait to see it done.

~*~ To Thine Own Mermaid Be True ~*~
    ~~~ Follow me on Facebook: Merlissa the Mermaid~~~
    Deviant Art Etsy Store YouTube Mermaid Blog Instagram

Senior Member Pod of New England MerMarla's Avatar
    Jazz, you are really talented! This is gonna look awesome when done! Thanks for sharing your ideas and procedures, we can all learn from your experience!

Mermaid Marla
    Once a Mermaid, always a mermaid!
    Weeki Wachee Springs - 1969-1972

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the kind comments!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Good for you Jazz! Looks like it's really coming along! So thrilled for you!

Thanks Raina It's really fun to see my parents reaction when I show them that I have just sculpted an entire fluke. When I explain things to them, it's like I'm speaking Spanish I've been having a great time this summer working on this!

It might not change Jazz I am 27 and only recently, my own dad stopped saying, "you know mermaids aren't real, right?" hehe. But once I got my baby sister into the business (she's just a little older than you) he started to understand and now he brags that his daughters are mermaids!

Follow Orenemitz on Tumblr
    This looks really good so far!! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    It might not change Jazz I am 27 and only recently, my own dad stopped saying, "you know mermaids aren't real, right?" hehe. But once I got my baby sister into the business (she's just a little older than you) he started to understand and now he brags that his daughters are mermaids!
    Mine, too. And my Mom. ^_^
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    Great job so far Jazz. I cant wait to see it when finished. An Raina don't feel bad (lol) I am 44 an I still get that type of comment from my GF about merfolk not being real.LOL
    Be Happy Swim Free

Senior Member Pod of The South WavyMermaidy's Avatar
    I love the H20 style fluke! Good luck as you progress along...I have such respect for everyone here that makes their own silicone tails

yay!! people making their own tails is always so exciting

​formerly Mermaid Brianna

Daily Update: Poured the first layer of ShellShock on my fluke and I'm waiting for it to dry until I add my second. I coated the whole thing in Vaseline, then sprayed Mann's Ease Release 200. When adding layers, you want to add the second, third, and so on layer any time between the pot life (working time) and the full cure time at least for ShellShock and DragonSkin. Here's a picture of what it looks like at the moment.

Name:  IMG_1568.jpg
Views: 4522
Size:  164.5 KB

Finished all my layers!!!

looks cool, also, cute profile pic girl! Love it

Oh! you're doing so well!
    Mermaid Dottie

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    Nicely done. I can't wait to see what the rest will look like.
    Be Happy Swim Free

Thanks everyone
    Daily Update!!!- Released the Shell Shock from the clay! It came out pretty good It hasn't been cleaned yet, and the work area is a mess, but I'm still pretty happy.
    Name:  IMG_1573.jpg
Views: 4330
Size:  273.4 KB

exciting!