Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
Results 681 to 697 of 697

Thread: Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

  1. #681
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    QLD Australia
    Posts
    381
    Yep, it does look good, the fluke is very thin which makes sense otherwise you wouldn't be moving at all. its a good tail for pools but not so much in open water and currents.

    Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......





  2. #682
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    Yep, it does look good, the fluke is very thin which makes sense otherwise you wouldn't be moving at all. its a good tail for pools but not so much in open water and currents.
    Exactly my thought I need power and speed not graceful movements


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  3. #683
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Back on this full effort, extension prototype being built now



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  4. #684
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel

    Here a pic of my original concept design sketch for the Extension prototype and here Is the prototype I plan to fill out the triangle shape with silicone, once the angle is right tape dummy of my feet will be used to sculpt a foot pocket around it with silicone, once the pocket is cured the tail shape or thickness will be built up in layers on top of a leg tape dummy, the thickness will be like that if the Mako Mermaids Tails and the fluke will be also thick and will be monofinless and semi translucent.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  5. #685
    Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Posts
    468

    Visit Mermaid_Izzy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post

    Here a pic of my original concept design sketch for the Extension prototype and here Is the prototype I plan to fill out the triangle shape with silicone, once the angle is right tape dummy of my feet will be used to sculpt a foot pocket around it with silicone, once the pocket is cured the tail shape or thickness will be built up in layers on top of a leg tape dummy, the thickness will be like that if the Mako Mermaids Tails and the fluke will be also thick and will be monofinless and semi translucent.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I love it so much and I can wait! Ahhhhh!

  6. #686
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Seance I had to re use the scales I had made before I actually had to reuse all of the clay including the fluke I had sculpted previously so now Iím starting all the sculptures from scratch so here is a picture of the first two scales I have tow options what do yíall think Iím not sure if I should go with the one that looks like a moth or moth wings or the regular one at the bottom I will be sculpting additional scale concepts this is what I got for now
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  7. #687
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel

    Going with the moth wings


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  8. #688
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Itís filling out nicely, Iím using caulk to fill it up to shape, if you notice the triangle forming that will be the foot plate seance the prototype extending piece is an old rapid I avoid the tail having the ďLĒ shape that is caused by the natural curve at the ankles I counter it with the triangle and the tail continues parallel with my knees down to the fluke. Hope it makes sense


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  9. #689
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Done with the silicone foot plate now to attach the top part for the foot pocket
    I drew a foot so yíall can understand the concept and what Iím aiming for! Which is to keep the tail straight all the way to the fluke like the mako tails


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  10. #690

  11. #691
    Good, but just wanted to say 10/10 on that foot drawing

  12. #692
    Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Germany, Lower Saxony
    Posts
    304
    Cool! Really looking forward to seeing it finished!

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

  13. #693
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMaggs View Post
    Good, but just wanted to say 10/10 on that foot drawing
    Thanks lol



    Quote Originally Posted by MermanOliver View Post
    Cool! Really looking forward to seeing it finished!

    Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Same here! Itís been a long time coming.


    Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  14. #694
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,254

    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ooo! Nice! Are you going to make another lump on the other side of the monofin, so the fin flesh looks evenly distributed and muscular when the skin is all done?
    Formerly known as ireneho

  15. #695
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel

    Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Ooo! Nice! Are you going to make another lump on the other side of the monofin, so the fin flesh looks evenly distributed and muscular when the skin is all done?


    Yes Iím just doing this first because Iím not making this first one with polycarbonate like I planned so I gotta get that triangle to keep the line Iím still waiting on the silicone to fully harden so that I can add the piece of silicone I sculpted onto my feet tape dummies so that the foot pocket is perfect size for me after thatís glued Iíll wrap the whole thing in powermesh sleeve that is also the first layer of the tail skin then encase the entire thing in silicone at this point the leg tape dummy and feet dummy are inside and Iím covering the entire thing in layers on layers on layers of silicone to build up the thickness to resemble Mako tails from latest seasons. Iím basing the thickness on their concept art found on goodle pic below for reference
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 12-06-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  16. #696
    Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Posts
    468

    Visit Mermaid_Izzy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    Yes Iím just doing this first because Iím not making this first one with polycarbonate like I planned so I gotta get that triangle to keep the line Iím still waiting on the silicone to fully harden so that I can add the piece of silicone I sculpted onto my feet tape dummies so that the foot pocket is perfect size for me after thatís glued Iíll wrap the whole thing in powermesh sleeve that is also the first layer of the tail skin then encase the entire thing in silicone at this point the leg tape dummy and feet dummy are inside and Iím covering the entire thing in layers on layers on layers of silicone to build up the thickness to resemble Mako tails from latest seasons. Iím basing the thickness on their concept art found on goodle pic below for reference
    You have such a good grasp on how to execute this! I have thought about extended tails a lot, but this is amazing and more than I could conjure up. I can't wait to see the final product, I know it will be well worth the wait!


    Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

  17. #697
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,092
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    You have such a good grasp on how to execute this! I have thought about extended tails a lot, but this is amazing and more than I could conjure up. I can't wait to see the final product, I know it will be well worth the wait!


    Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Thanks Iíve been planning and visualizing the plan for a very long time


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •