Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 701

Thread: Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel

    Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

    So people of MerNetwork Land I've decided to go ahead and start a thread about my extended tail project, this will be a slow moving process cause i attend college and work so bare with me, for now I'm stocking up on clay and other materials except silicone.

    [Yes my good Merfolk I know how impractical these tails are for the average Mer and that there way too heavy for land and all that but im still making it. Im sure ill be safe I am a certified lifeguard and licensed open water scuba diver plus i practiced free diving most of my life, i lived in an island surrounded by the sea so water sports were the best option to escape the tropical heat.]

    How I plan to make my tail:
    Its nothing we don't know already, basically like the H2O tail making process, tail will be sculpted on top of a fiberglass cast of my legs with added extension piece to sculpt full tail, fluke will be sculpted separately, double mold of tail body and fluke.

    After the tail body is cured and made one piece its time for scaling, individual scales will be added in the PearleMae method but without the powermesh backing because the tail body is silicone i think the powermesh is not necessary bevause silicone bonds with itself.

    The first one will be a simple dark to light blue color scheme like the mako merman tails only because i feel safer swimming in the ocean with a camouflaged tail the secund will have vibrant yellow to red stripes and blue body.

    Here are some pics;
    Name:  20160713_121120-1-800x355.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  35.1 KB

    The purple tail is for my mom that wont be extended and the first is my original color scheme...Name:  20160713_123539-800x450.jpg
Views: 2308
Size:  50.5 KB



    Then for the extension mechanism, i have designed around 5 ways of creating a functional extension but I've decided on one, the one ill be using is basically a triangular footplate to avoid the downward angle of the back of the feet and keep the tail straight if y'all look at my sketch maby y'all can understand what im talking about, so the top part od the triangle is one piece from footplate to monofin tip. Here have a look...Name:  20160706_110412-1.jpg
Views: 2413
Size:  118.1 KB

    I'll post lots of pictures of the progress for all to seeb wish me luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 09:37 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  2. #2
    I'm so excited to see how this all turns out!!!!! Good luck!!!!

  3. #3
    Ahh I'm excited you finally created a thread, I'm definitely following your process...I wish you good luck with this

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    So i started to make the real size base drawing of my fluke or caudal fin its looking pretty big 24L by 38W inches im thinking it needs to be big to look proportional with the extended tail.Name:  20160719_221308-1-1280x764.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  143.4 KB

    Heres my fluke design.Name:  20160714_224516-1.jpg
Views: 2236
Size:  87.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  5. #5
    I love the shape you chose

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    QLD Australia
    Posts
    381
    This looks good. love your designs, what are you going to make your foot pocket out of? for your triangular piece i would suggest you create it in fiberglass. I have used fiberglass for some attempts on my tail. depending on how thick you make it will depend on how it feels in the water. it will not shatter at all, which is great for things that require high performance. I hope your extension works. I started my tail 7 years ago, and i'm finally on my last attempt of the extension. i will state this to you though. its not as easy as you might think to create. I wish you luck.

    Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......





  7. #7
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    This looks good. love your designs, what are you going to make your foot pocket out of? for your triangular piece i would suggest you create it in fiberglass. I have used fiberglass for some attempts on my tail. depending on how thick you make it will depend on how it feels in the water. it will not shatter at all, which is great for things that require high performance. I hope your extension works. I started my tail 7 years ago, and i'm finally on my last attempt of the extension. i will state this to you though. its not as easy as you might think to create. I wish you luck.
    I've never worked with fiberglass could you give me some tips? Plus i was thinking of the triangular footplate like a three piece set the blue for support and the brown one single piece of lexan all the way to monofin fin.Name:  20160722_204550-640x360.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  22.4 KBName:  20160722_204328-600x1067.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  49.9 KBName:  20160706_110412-1-800x379.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  36.8 KB
    In addition Ive been thinking of making a (double shoe) made of clealr resin molded in silicone. Basically its a footpoket the triangular footplate base would be encrusted into the clear resin and scrued to secure in place.
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  8. #8
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    QLD Australia
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Marinus View Post
    I've never worked with fiberglass could you give me some tips? Plus i was thinking of the triangular footplate like a three piece set the blue for support and the brown one single piece of lexan all the way to monofin fin.Name:  20160722_204550-640x360.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  22.4 KB

    I used fiberglass bandage with a fiberglass resin or harder. bandages are extremely strong and will not crack, shatter etc under pressure. ive never used the fiberglass matting. is the triangle simply designed for the rod to be attacked to? if so I would just do the triangle in one piece.


    Name:  20160722_204328-600x1067.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  49.9 KBName:  20160706_110412-1-800x379.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  36.8 KB
    In addition Ive been thinking of making a (double shoe) made of clealr resin molded in silicone. Basically its a footpoket the triangular footplate base would be encrusted into the clear resin and scrued to secure in place.
    your foot pocket must be low cut profile. in order to get your feet into it. applying these tails is different to a standard monofin. meaning you can't just pull your feet into the pockets. this is my personal experience. do you mean you will make your pocket out of resin or silicone? you say molded in silicone which im getting a mental picture of the pocket actually being silicone.

    Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......





  9. #9
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Also I finished the real size base drawing of my fluke shape! I hope I can start sculpting soon but with all the college assignments and my part time job I dont have the time, not even to just sit down and draw my friend some tail design sketches.

    He it is: I think its too big might cut it down about 10 inches.
    Name:  20160721_134029-768x1365-480x853.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  59.6 KB

    And here is the original sketch:Name:  20160714_224516-1-600x375.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  31.0 KB
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  10. #10
    It seems like the extended tail sketches tend toward the smaller flukes, but I gotta say-
    I love a big fluke
    cool project!!


  11. #11
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by merwandering View Post
    It seems like the extended tail sketches tend toward the smaller flukes, but I gotta say-
    I love a big fluke
    cool project!!
    Thank you Merwandering currently the size of my fluke design is 34 inces wide and 28 long i also love big flukes!
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  12. #12
    I mean it makes sense to do a silicone molded footpocket, but you have to think about attaching it to your footplate, if you screwed bolts through that, you'd tear the silicone most likely, you can make the footpocket out of fabric and glue + screw that to the footplate, that way it stays put, you can add silicone on top of that, since silicone will stick to neoprene and neoprin, I haven't tested spandex..lycra should work since most neoprene is backed with lycra

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    I mean it makes sense to do a silicone molded footpocket, but you have to think about attaching it to your footplate, if you screwed bolts through that, you'd tear the silicone most likely, you can make the footpocket out of fabric and glue + screw that to the footplate, that way it stays put, you can add silicone on top of that, since silicone will stick to neoprene and neoprin, I haven't tested spandex..lycra should work since most neoprene is backed with lycra

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    your foot pocket must be low cut profile. in order to get your feet into it. applying these tails is different to a standard monofin. meaning you can't just pull your feet into the pockets. this is my personal experience. do you mean you will make your pocket out of resin or silicone? you say molded in silicone which im getting a mental picture of the pocket actually being silicone.
    No im talking about (clear plastic resin)
    ThisName:  DSC00006.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  105.4 KB

    It will be cast inside a silicone mold to be a footpocket.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  14. #14
    Ohhh..I understand, that's an interesting approach

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Just to double check, you're using the Casting Resin for the mold or for the finished pocket? I'd be worried about using it as the finished pocket as the resin can shatter. It's mostly meant for jewelry type things, and I've cracked my fair few dropping them on concrete.

    ~Real photoshoot coming soon~

  16. #16
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCOS View Post
    Just to double check, you're using the Casting Resin for the mold or for the finished pocket? I'd be worried about using it as the finished pocket as the resin can shatter. It's mostly meant for jewelry type things, and I've cracked my fair few dropping them on concrete.
    Thank you for the tips JustCOS.Im thinking of using it as the footpocket lined with soft silicone inside. I hat thought about it braking thats why ill do some tests first.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


  17. #17
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    QLD Australia
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Marinus View Post
    Thank you for the tips JustCOS.Im thinking of using it as the footpocket lined with soft silicone inside. I hat thought about it braking thats why ill do some tests first.

    Sorry for delay in replying. i've only just seen it. the casting resin is too rigid once it cures and under pressure it will snap or shatter. its like making a monofin out of Acrylic which will snap no questions. the foot pocket needs to be able to take weight of the extension and your completed fluke. ive finished my foot pocket but i don't wish to post pic as i don't want to Hijack your thread.

    Ive been attempting to create an extended tail for the last 6 years the hardest thing for me is the extension itself. i've wasted 2.5 grand on this project on materials. fuckups etc. and i don't want to watch someone else do the same. if I know it's not going to work i will give my opinion and insight or you are more than happy to test your theories.

    Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......





  18. #18
    Member Pod of Texas GulfMerman101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas, United States (Gulf of Mexico)
    Posts
    48
    Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    im sort of debating in between (Shore 00: 30, 40, or 60) or (Shore A: 10,20,or 30), theres so many but I just need one lol, what are your thoughts about it?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    QLD Australia
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfMerman101 View Post
    im sort of debating in between (Shore 00: 30, 40, or 60) or (Shore A: 10,20,or 30), theres so many but I just need one lol, what are your thoughts about it?
    ok, so for the Liquid rubber 50A stand for 50 Shore hardness on the scale. so if you look on the chart where it says shore A then go over to the 50 it says medium soft. this would be fine to cast a fluke in but the fluke would need to be quiet dense/ thick around the sides centering down to the middle. this only applies if your not using a monofin in between.

    Urethanes usually go on the scale of Shore D but can sometimes fall in the shore A hardness. it depends on the brand of urethane your looking at.

    Most Silicones and rubber go under shore A

    I found it. are you looking at having this clear??? it states it will yellow overtime in uv but that could be easily overcome if you tint it.
    https://www.polytek.com/products/liquid-mold-rubbers/polyurethane-mold-rubbers/pourable-polyurethane-mold-rubbers/glassrub/
    Last edited by Trident True; 08-06-2016 at 05:51 AM.

    Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......





  20. #20
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Marinus Mortimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Posts
    1,127
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    Sorry for delay in replying. i've only just seen it. the casting resin is too rigid once it cures and under pressure it will snap or shatter. its like making a monofin out of Acrylic which will snap no questions. the foot pocket needs to be able to take weight of the extension and your completed fluke. ive finished my foot pocket but i don't wish to post pic as i don't want to Hijack your thread.

    Ive been attempting to create an extended tail for the last 6 years the hardest thing for me is the extension itself. i've wasted 2.5 grand on this project on materials. fuckups etc. and i don't want to watch someone else do the same. if I know it's not going to work i will give my opinion and insight or you are more than happy to test your theories.

    Thank you very much for your wisdom I wish there were more people like u guys out there cause yall is always so helpful, I will heed your words and shall not make those mistakes thanks for the advice...
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •