Thread: Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Pod of Texas GulfMerman101's Avatar
    Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    im sort of debating in between (Shore 00: 30, 40, or 60) or (Shore A: 10,20,or 30), theres so many but I just need one lol, what are your thoughts about it?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfMerman101 View Post
    im sort of debating in between (Shore 00: 30, 40, or 60) or (Shore A: 10,20,or 30), theres so many but I just need one lol, what are your thoughts about it?
    ok, so for the Liquid rubber 50A stand for 50 Shore hardness on the scale. so if you look on the chart where it says shore A then go over to the 50 it says medium soft. this would be fine to cast a fluke in but the fluke would need to be quiet dense/ thick around the sides centering down to the middle. this only applies if your not using a monofin in between.

Urethanes usually go on the scale of Shore D but can sometimes fall in the shore A hardness. it depends on the brand of urethane your looking at.

Most Silicones and rubber go under shore A

I found it. are you looking at having this clear??? it states it will yellow overtime in uv but that could be easily overcome if you tint it.
    https://www.polytek.com/products/liquid-mold-rubbers/polyurethane-mold-rubbers/pourable-polyurethane-mold-rubbers/glassrub/
    Last edited by Trident True; 08-06-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Member Pod of Texas GulfMerman101's Avatar
    Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    By the way I forgot to ask, if you might know how they made the spinal fin? like I know what they used as far as the silicone, but do you think they placed plastic rods inside the silicone? or that the silicone was casted out of a sculpted mold, giving that impression . Hmmm

Name:  7a2621ec501118fe9a0c552ec733cd5c.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  39.0 KB

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfMerman101 View Post
    By the way I forgot to ask, if you might know how they made the spinal fin? like I know what they used as far as the silicone, but do you think they placed plastic rods inside the silicone? or that the silicone was casted out of a sculpted mold, giving that impression . Hmmm

Name:  7a2621ec501118fe9a0c552ec733cd5c.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  39.0 KB
    The fins are sculpted in a clay or plasticine, so all detail is added into the sculpt. they are made to be around 3 to 4mm thick so they are a reasonable thickness.

As for the clear rubber, i've never worked with rubber and rubber tends to be more denser than silicone. the 50A seems to be a reasonable density even for silicone. i do however have a suggestion, if you are making a fluke that has no monofin inside of it. you will need to make it quite dense around the edges and taping down to the centre of the fluke. this way once the two are brought together it will actually act like a monofin. which will push water away, you won't be kicking water. if this make sense.

as you have never worked with it. i would buy a trail kit and see how you go. do up a small fluke create a mold then do a test. you will get a rough idea on what the density of the rubber is. then you can create your larger one taking that into account.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......