Thread: Jazz's H2o Style Silicone Mermaid Tail Process

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jazz's H2o Style Silicone Mermaid Tail Process

Hello. I've always loved mermaids and I made my first lycra mermaid tail when I was 8. I've always wanted to be a real mermaid and wanted a silicone mermaid tail. Finally I've decided to actually make one myself, and it's been an exciting process so far! I'm not secretive, so if I find any tips on tricks I will definitely share them or try to answer as many questions as possible. I will also be most likely asking many questions myself Anyways, I wanted to share what I've completed so far.
    This is my H20 style fluke. I used monster maker's clay. And behind that is my scale sheet which I may redo due to the craft foam (1mm) not rising enough to allow that awesome scale effect.
    Name:  IMG_1446.jpg
Views: 34366
Size:  114.7 KB

Here is a test of my scales. They came out pretty good, but my scales won't be thick enough. I used Shell Shock liquid plastic. My suggestion is to use a coat of acrylic spray, and then apply Mann's Ease Release 200. Let that dry for about 20-30 minutes, and then right before you add your Shell Shock apply a layer of Vaseline. I've seen many people have trouble because the foam sticks to the Shell Shock. To avoid that, I took my Shell Shock of the foam scales before it fully cured. Be careful doing this though, and wait until it's in a hard enough stage. You don't have to do this, but it definitely worked for me. For example, in this pic, the scales aren't fully cured yet.
    Name:  IMG_1533.jpg
Views: 5662
Size:  268.2 KB

This is a miniature fluke mold I tested with Shell Shock. I applied Ease Release 200 and Vaseline as release agents. I haven't cleaned it yet so there is still Monster Maker's Clay in the detail.
    Name:  IMG_1534.jpg
Views: 12484
Size:  136.6 KB

That's basically all my process so far. I have just ordered a trial size of Dragon Skin 10 Medium to test out my molds. As for my new scale sheet, instead of punching out thousands of circles, I just bought 20 packs of 1 1/2 inch. diameter sticky back soccer balls. http://www.craftsuppliesforless.com/...ckerpacks.html this is the page I ordered them from. I will keep everyone updated on my process. As for the design, I'm not completely copying the H2o style. Only for the fluke will I be using the same format. As for the colors, I plan on using a yellow, green, sea foam, aqua, Ice blue, and sea blue. I find this experience to be a lot of fun, and even though I am only 12 years old, I know I have the determination and passion to push myself until I accomplish my goal. I'll update as much as I can.
    Last edited by jazz2453; 07-04-2013 at 02:48 PM.