Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Im sure that at least 2, 5 gallon units will be enough to safely build your fluke mold
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

I will measure my fluke, but I used one gallon for mine, maybe a tiny bit more, but I used 4 kilos of silicone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Pod of New England
    Quick update: I've decided to go ahead and change my fluke design Im going to keep the same size but the design will not be the same post pics tomorrow.

P.s: got bad headache still got three more papers to write once im done with all that then bed time...
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

I'm excited to see it

Member Pod of Texas GulfMerman101's Avatar
    Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    i know!! XD its going to be great, ive been checking your thumbnail all day non stop, im so thrilled to see it.

Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    also ive finished my drawing of my fluke, and the whole body. so yeah yall are right lol, 2 gallons will be just enough thanks, merman marinus, and mermaid Lili i'll post my drawing today hope you all love it <3

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfMerman101 View Post
    Thanks, sooo i've checked Smooth On's Clear Urethanes, im probably most likely going to stick with Clear Flex 30, it seems to be the most flexible super strong clear urethane they have.
    Another Question for you Merman Marinus or any Mers is? How much should I need to supply myself to have enough for the Fluke, its going to be 3ft X 2ft, basically if you've ever seen the BTS on H2o or Mako Mermaids, that's what i'm going for? all they have is 1, 5,and 55 gallon units, for sure 55 is out of the question, but yeah?

Select a Product Below Mix Ratio By Weight Mix Ratio By Volume Hardness › Clear Flex® 30 100A:94B 1A:1B 30 A
    You can't get clear flex 30...it's for industrial use only. I can't get it and my company deals with Smooth On all the time. (And if you DO get it, I think one gallon should be more than enough.)

CAUTION: NOT FOR HOME USE. THIS PRODUCT IS FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY. Wear safety glasses. Proper ventilation, A NIOSH Approved Respirator and Protective Clothing (gloves and long sleeves) are required to minimize the risk of inhalation and dermal sensitization. If breathing is affected or a dermal rash develops, immediately cease using this product and seek medical attention. Read SDS before using.

thank you Peraliemae for the tip, ill still try though lol, I am looking for a somewhat clear urethane rubber for my fluke, but when I searched online all I got was smooth on, and other websites that distributed the same product as smooth on, so that got me wondering if there's a urethane rubber resin that's out there that I can use? Barnes is another well heard shop that jmb fx uses, but as we all know its in Australia. i would stick to silicone, but its not stiffer than urethane, and lacks any tear & wear. and ive seen so many great silicone tails made by you and other mers <3, but I feel like ill give the urethane a shot and try something new, and see how it goes. no regards GulfMerman

Question

Name:  IMG_9773.JPG
Views: 1594
Size:  307.6 KBso here's my sketch and size of my fluke, I think I might make it alilttle bit larger, maybe add 3 1/2 more inches around. what do you all think?

Name:  IMG_9775.JPG
Views: 2124
Size:  304.1 KB
    and heres the whole tail, this is my goal, and hopes it comes to reality !!!!!
    plus drawing the scales took forever, lol

Looks exciting gulf merman, I love your fluke design

Pod of New England
    Looking great GulfM keep it up, about the size id say a bit bigger wouldn't hurt.
    PearlieMae saves the day with amazing insight thanks, I two was thinking of using Urethane for the fluke.

On a side note id like to share a revelation that came to me while looking at these pictures.
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-06-24-12-26-05.png
Views: 1278
Size:  565.6 KB
    Name:  tumblr_n2c6ceai5v1qchd8mo4_1280.jpg
Views: 2371
Size:  35.3 KB
    (In this pic the tails seem skinny/thin wich led me to believe in the [ layering technique ] )

I thought that all the tails are slightly different from each other, each tail had diferentes proportions so o thought that instead of casting the tail in two pieces they (jmbfx) was building up the thickness of the tail body by adding individual sheets of silicone to get the shape the smooth it out with a layer of silicone evenly brushed on top with a thiker vicocity...

Personally for me this method could work it minimizes the need for tens of pounds of clay and hundreds of dollars to sculpt out the tail body, I mean its a time saver I think.
    Name:  Screenshot_2016-06-24-12-26-07.png
Views: 1214
Size:  487.6 KB
    What are the opinions you guys have un this idea?
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-30-2016 at 07:35 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Also I've decided on the shape o want for my scales its simple but I love them.
    Here's a pic:Name:  received_1136092349744767-190x190.jpeg
Views: 1197
Size:  16.2 KB
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

I love the scale design !! and yes jmb fx did use layering's of silicone on the suit, as well as fabric, and well more silicone lol.
    I really have the slightest of clue, but thinning the silicone just enough so its brush able to coat on, and enough so it wont clump up is my tip, I feel as though if simply have squeezed 10 silicone tubes in a bucket, then brushed it on the suit, wouldn't give you a lot of control and detail work, or smoothness of your project. plus the more you keep brushing and mangling with silicone, bubbles have a tendency to appear.

Another quickie that I just wanted to point out is that in the last photo that you put, when they are painting the suit, the fluke is made from urethane, yet its not clear like the ones from SmoothOn?? it has a tint of cloudiness, I personally wasn't looking for the clearest of urethane, just one that is strong and flexible. and I just simply want to have a clear guide where urethane to that extent may be. lol
    I literally feel like getting the urethane is like a needle in a hay stack. that's the only thing that has me put down from continuing on my tail making process.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Marinus View Post
    Also I've decided on the shape o want for my scales its simple but I love them.
    Here's a pic:Name:  received_1136092349744767-190x190.jpeg
Views: 1197
Size:  16.2 KB
    Those look really great!

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfMerman101 View Post
    I love the scale design !! and yes jmb fx did use layering's of silicone on the suit, as well as fabric, and well more silicone lol.
    I really have the slightest of clue, but thinning the silicone just enough so its brush able to coat on, and enough so it wont clump up is my tip, I feel as though if simply have squeezed 10 silicone tubes in a bucket, then brushed it on the suit, wouldn't give you a lot of control and detail work, or smoothness of your project. plus the more you keep brushing and mangling with silicone, bubbles have a tendency to appear.
    Thanks for the tip GulfM, but i don't need a perfectly smooth surface just the overall shape and extra thickness I will keep in mind that bubbles could form so ill find the best way.

Also this may sound crazy but theres this abandoned ware house, I was thinking of using the spaceous place to cast my molds and stuff like that. Of course its a Berry stupid idea as the place is also used by street Vegeta or bums (dont get offended) so storing things there two would be out of the question, but during the day theres no-one there not a soul so o could find a way to transfer my things there work and store them nearly in my small apartment. What do yall think its a very big place
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Oh my gosh that sounds so awesome, go for it, it's sketchy, be careful but yeah I mean working in a small apartment with all those fumes is definitely not a good idea

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    Am definitely watching this thread from now on! Btw you're a great drawer Merman Marinus. Very nice detailing.

Pod of New England
    Im deff going with the abandoned ware house to avoid any hazardous fumes in the small confines of my apartment.

Thank you AnnaAbyss that means a lot

Also I finished the real size base drawing/outline of my legs and tail body it also shows the new fluke shape. I did a video lets see if I can get it to up load... I had to upload it to my youtube account so yeah now herez the vid:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=euEBGSDsiEA

And some pics;Name:  20160801_085146-1024x576.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  67.7 KB
    LOL i drew in my Trient tattoo to the base design.
    Name:  20160801_085159_crop_450x1279.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  376.8 KB
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 08-01-2016 at 03:23 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus